Bribie surf blues

Cliffy

So the young fella and I headed out the other day to the surf beach at Bribie (no excuse needed this time as She Who Must Be Obeyed was shopping :woohoo: unfortunately with my credit card:pinch: ). Got there at about half run-in with about a 1.5-foot swell breaking, nice and short with twin gutters at the back - perfect;) . After usual buggerising about with gear got the young fella sorted and fishing and, as usual got to the critical point in knot-tying as he hooked his first of the day. Should probably add that he was fishing a 14-foot surf rod, and he's about 4 foot tall, so he was making pretty heavy going of it. Pulled in a baby stingray about 30cm across - felt like it should have been much bigger! Got him back fishing and finally goy mine sorted and fishing when he hooks up again...another stingray, this time considerably larger, an even bigger fight - much to the amusement of a couple of older geezers walking along the beach who stopped to watch and speculate that it was \"Timmy the giant tailor\" - still trying to figure out if they were pulling our leg or just a bit demented:huh: .

Please note, still nothing on my rod.

Young fella convinces me to re-bait his 5/0 triple gang with a squid large enough to feed a family of four, which I'm happy enough to do on the basis that I reckon there's nothing big enough out there to even think about taking a bait that size, and I might get some action on my rod:evil: . I rebait at the same time with a whole pilchard and settle back ready for the bites to begin. Not 2 minutes later, unbelievably, the young fella's rod start to peel off line like there's no tomorrow:pinch: . Fought whatever the blazes it was for about five minutes with varying luck - he got some line back, the behemoth stripped more line off, I nearly buggered my back trying to hold onto the little tike so he didn't end up waterskiing, etc, etc. Finally got bitten off, and that was the end of the fishing - not one bite in the hour-and-a-half we fished after that. reckon it must have been a small noah close in. Mental note to self - next time, make sure the steel trace is in the tackle box before you go!:whistle:

PMSL. Sounds very familiar Cliffy. On a recent effort it got to the point where I said \"stuff it - you'll just have to wait a few minutes to give me a chance\" - I was supporting 3 at the time. It's good to have and see your young fella/s getting into it though. I betchya yours can't wait to get back for another go.

Archived