State Of Origin

noname

kriso wrote:

umm it was only 2 months ago wasnt it? plenty of other good stuff on before it.

didn`t the original planned date get postponed, because of the weather,about the time that freighter lost the containers overboard and leaked the oil that affected Moreton Island coastline

fishingnut wrote:

straddiebrad wrote:
20/20

how about as an idea the first 20 fish caught by each state get measured and total length wins? or the 20 best fish for a days fishing get added up? just an idea

be very careful with the rules,the grasshopper is no longer here,to step back,blow the whistle and penalise them for being off side :laugh: :laugh:

Wow hold your horses!

There are more events to happen before this.

Next one off the rank will be the first AFO Summer Classic.

This is still in the blu print phase but will be advertised in about 2 weeks.

Scheduled for late Feb early March it will be a 2 dayer in the Bribie passage (most likely).

This is still subject to slight changes but thats the general jist.

Stay tuned!

We want to make this one a huuuge one.

Angus

We are finalising dates for next year's events this week.

AFO will be holding 4 events:

1st Summer Classic (formerly Kayak Camp and Flathead Comp)

3rd Moreton Bay Classic (formerly Moreton Bay Bream and Snapper Competition)

2nd State of Origin Fishing Competition

6th Brisbane River Classic

• 1 month later...

From the NCF site "State of origin 2" post.

Okay guys we have a date for the next state of origin 31st of July and the first of August 2010, how does this sound to everyone ??

Well the dates were suggested by Angus, he reckons with all the other events that are on as well as uni and family commitments that was the only weekend available??

Has there been any input from the members of the sites NCF or AFO ???? that may wish to attend this event,as to weather the dates,times etc are at all suitable, or do we just go with the flow and turn what was a great event into a Flop, when not too many can attend.

Lozz

i think it's got to be held over a long weekend, cos some of the distances travelled by some just would not warrant comming for the event for 2 days, let alone the elaborate set up i saw last year, that doesn't happen in an hour! but the extra day seems to work fine. is it to be held in QLD this year??? and why are we talking about dates now?

this should have been all worked out ages ago! like the same weekend as last year maybe! they way some of the comps are goin, i'm gunna stick to the socials, alot better organised, and less confusing, and great times are had by all.

As long as the Blues win again we can hold it in WA for all I care. Go the Blues.

As to the timing, I'm not sure we are not trying to do too much. Rob's right, a 3 day event is about what I would prefer. Why don't we let NCF sort it out this year as AFO did it last year. I'm sure Dusty would do a good job and take some hassles away from Angus.

noname wrote:

what about a bay bash chasing mackrel, they will be on soon. and gives those with out a boat or those who have just purchased a boat but unsure of where to go in the bay. ahh well looks like another social then, hehehehe :lol:
the mackrel are on in the bay right now .might be a bit late for a comp ;) al

dusky and myself have had a yak about the proposed dates and we feel that it should be held over 3 days also,

what about the 30th and 31st july and the 1st of august ??

these dates are closer to last years dates..

we also propose we keep it at brunswick heads as a better venue right on a river is difficult to find..

so have your say guys and gals so we can get this sorted soon ..

cheers

maxi

With regard to dates, we have sat down for the last few weeks and have been planning the event calendar for 2010. This has to take into consideration many factors and we do our best to make a cohesive and rational calendar. We have done this early in the year to get feedback early and so allow us to set the dates early to give ample notice.

We put up a preliminary list of dates (that are yet to be totally finalised now apart from the Summer Classic) a few weeks ago for community feedback, so to answer a question above, yes we do try and get AFO member feedback. We have taken into consideration many comments from the forum, pm's and phonecalls in proposing these dates, and can only take into consideration comments we receive.

When dealing with a community of 6500 members it will always be difficult to suit everybody. We also need to take into consideration the public holidays, school holidays, best times for fishing, proximity to other competitions, proximity to other AFO events, proximity to other events (eg rugby league State of Origin), possible alignment with moon phases, other members events and also other events that the AFO team have in our own personal calendars (uni, work, family commitments etc)

So there is alot to juggle here.

We only have four official events, ideally our competitions are held every 3 months. This gives a bit of time between events to organise the event, promote the event, source prizes, and also give members a break between official events. We also have a fifth event we run in partnership with Sports Tuition, that being the Winter Camp. This is organised by Sports Tuition so even though we dont run the event we still allow for it in our calendar.

From community feedback we see a general consensus to keep the State of Origin fishing competition to being a 3 day event. We were seeing if a 2 day event would work as there are no public holidays anytime around that time of year (it wasnt on a long weekend last year) and it is hard for us on a weekday. However, we see the benefit in running it as a 3 day event and so have decided to keep it at a 3 day event. With regard to running of the event, it is a AFO event and so we need to run our own events for insurance and financial reasons.

The Official AFO events are a neccessary cash flow for the AFO business. Even though AFO has been around a few years now, it does not make it any more profitable relative. Furthermore, it does not mean that the effort to run the website (and events) has diminished. On the contrary, it takes more time (when AFO admins already work a day job), effort and resources to maintain and run, and so we do encourage all members to attend official events to help support the site. That is not to say that we do not encourage socials, as most will be aware the main goal or our business and our site is to promote fishing and boating and social interaction between anglers. We actively encourage people to be active in the afo community to share and enjoy each others company, but we do still enjoy holding the events and are always keen for new members to come along and share in our passion for fishing.

We see January as sufficient notice for the year's events and at the end of the day dates have to be set. We do ask for community feedback, however ultimately it is our decision. We hope to see as many people at our events, but if people can't make it then that is their misfortune, as we are sure new members and guests will participate like others have done before.

maxi wrote:

what about the 30th and 31st july and the 1st of august ??

these dates are closer to last years dates..

These were are the dates we have always proposed.....

/>http://australianfishing.com.au/forum/15-fishing-events/236452-dates-for-afo-comps-for-2010-feedback-please#236452

Johnny wrote:

Well seeing as there have been no more comments the last week and a half in the Dates for AFO comps for 2010. Feedback Please then we will confirm these dates and make an official announcement and put officially in our event calendar.

My very BAD.. never new this post was on the forum.. sh!t happens when ya not on all the time.

Those dates are good is the Venue still at Brunswick.

Lozzel wrote:

Johnny wrote:
Well seeing as there have been no more comments the last week and a half in the Dates for AFO comps for 2010. Feedback Please then we will confirm these dates and make an official announcement and put officially in our event calendar.

My very BAD.. never new this post was on the forum.. sh!t happens when ya not on all the time.

Those dates are good is the Venue still at Brunswick.

as far as i'm aware the only thing that has changed is the dates slightly from last year, EVERYTHING else is the same, the venue etc,etc. ohh and the winning team this year has also changed too. correct me if i am wrong :P

yeah the team has definately changed for this year, note to self, get scrote tanked again to take out the bream :laugh: robbo i rekkon we would have had it last year if you got amongst it a bit more :blink:

Up for another 1am mission to the harbour again gus?? :blink: might need an outrigger on the tub for that this year :ohmy:

Archived