Need a bit Boating exerience!

PiKe

Hi there,

I'm going to do my Boat licence tomorrow and want to buy one (4-5m 70-115hp) in the next couple of month. My problem is, that i have no clou about what i can do ,in a safety manner, with such a boat.I'm from Germany and live in Brisbane now since 8 months. I have not really an idea about tides, wind, maintenanc of a boat....

I looking for a kind of mentor who wants to teach me some basics which I propably not learn during my one day course.

I'm thankful for all tips or a offer for a ride.

Cheers Harry

all that you want to know, you will not take in, whilst going out with a person for 1day in a boat, there is a reason why some ppl are more experienced than others, it's lessons learnt, which equates to a lot of time on the water. but best not to be impatient, as trips will come up, jump in a few different boats, and see for yourself.

Hello Gad,

thanks for your reply. I just want a boat with enough power to pull a ski, go fishing and have some cruise. I don't want to do racing with it. I'm thankful if you can suggest a better setup for me. Thats the reason of my post.

Cheers Harry

gday harry tag along on trips is a good way to learn some of the ropes look for some posts here when guys are heading out and you want to start off in a river or the southern part of the bay and get your self a book its called brownies beacon to beacon it will help you navigate along with a lot of very useful info

mark

Hello mate

You are in the same position I was a few months back. I have only really puttered around in small tinnies so the idea of a 5.5m boat with a 90HP 4 stroke was a bit daunting at first, however the best advice I could give you is:

Grab a deckie spot for a few hours to a day - TinyTim volunteered his boat and gave me some fantastic tips.

Everything around launching and retrieving your boat at the boat ramp…..do it slowly and carefully - don't feel pressured by people waiting, take your time and or wait till they are clear of the ramp. Oh and don't feel embarrassed to ask for help, I did on my first two trips and the people were more than happy to help.

When in doubt - slow down and take it easy! Sometimes the markers can get confusing, especially down the Gold Coast and Jumpinpin, so take it easy and watch your depth sounder.

DON'T FORGET THE BUNGS - I learnt the hard way, 4 hours of cleaning latter what a pain!! Get a spare set to!

Write down a little check list and keep it visible in the car or boat - check it before launching.

Salt is the enemy so make sure you clean the motor, boat and trailer!

All in all it is really good fun, just go slow and read as much as you can on boating, navigation and most of all emergency procedure.

Good luck!

Hey Pike,

I used to teach boating and navigation when living in Sydney and have driven from 10ft to 58ft boats.

I am more than happy to meet up with you or anyone else from here on a WEEKDAY at a ramp with your boat and run through right from basics of launching, boat handling at slow and high speed, navigation, and finally recovery.

There is no greater experience than that that can be gained out on the water in your boat learing how it all works.

Let me know,

PiKe wrote:

Hello Gad,

thanks for your reply. I just want a boat with enough power to pull a ski, go fishing and have some cruise. I don't want to do racing with it. I'm thankful if you can suggest a better setup for me. Thats the reason of my post.

Cheers Harry

G`day Harry,with your giving more info for what you wanted to do with your outfit,good suggestions and offers are coming up for you.

Not into skiing so do not know what type of outfit you would be looking at.goodluck

cheers Gad

G`day Harry, you haven`t said otherwise so,congrats on your boat license,like others have suggested,and you said above you`ll try to get some deckie spots,take your time and check out what others have,they`ll tell you the pro`s and con`s of their outfits.

The main point to remember is your shopping for what you want in/for an outfit.After forking out the $ you don`t want to be thinking "I should have gone that way",but unless you custom build,you usually have to compromise a little, along the way.

cheers Gad

Archived