somerset! the aftermath

noname

Well thanks to tugger nice to meet you mate and got to see some regular face's.I had heard about the amount of red claw but could not belive how many were caught esky after esky after esky WOW.Thanks to all for a great weekend from mark,rob,brad,davo,travis allan,and any others I have forgot thanks to one and all

cheers dassa

thanks to you dassa for cooking up your special of chilli and garlic cray tails they were the talk of the camp dassa wrote:

Well thanks to tugger nice to meet you mate and got to see some regular face's.I had heard about the amount of red claw but could not belive how many were caught esky after esky after esky WOW.Thanks to all for a great weekend from mark,rob,brad,davo,travis allan,and any others I have forgot thanks to one and all

cheers dassa

What a great weekend I had. I don't believe the cameras came out that often. I only produced the camera once and that was to hopefully catch Davo Dinkum capsize the canoe (he came very close, side of the canoe was in the water, and heaps of water was entering the canoe), but alas I was too slow in capturing the moment.

i believe we pulled 210 redclaw out of the dam on the friday. Al, moparkev and myself then tackled the job of de-tailing the redclaw. There were a lot of nips but only one serious incident when a large redclaw latched onto my finger and wouldn't let go. The rest of the crew were really concerned (yes they couldn't stop laughing)when I was holing my hand up with the redclaw latched on and it didn't want to let go. And yes it did draw blood (only a little though).

Well I think after Friday every took a more relaxed attitude, and as the numbers of redcalw were good, everyone stopped counting. We hd a good feed of redclaw on Saturday night thanks to Dassa cooking up his garlic and chilli redclaw.

Got to see kev have a go at skiing. He did pretty well for his first go managing to get up a couple of times. Had a few laughs at dave & darryl in dave's canoe. Had a go on the tube around the dam, that was loads of fun. A big saturday night on the grog for some of the boys with the cowboy shooters going around for everyone, and a good effort for Mark who was actually in every shout so had quite a few.

Well there was a few sore heads on Sunday and as most of us had spent 2 full days at the dam, Sunday morning was a quick check of the pots, which was our worst result ever, but still collected a few to add to the catch so far. Then it was back to camp to divvy up the catch, pack up and head home. Don't have any numbers but here's what everyone took home:-

Mark - a full 25 litre esky full

Rob - a full 25 litre esky full

Al - a full 25 litre esky full

Kev - a full 25 litre esky full

Travis - one of those coles cooler bags full

Brad - 3/4 of a 40 litre esky

Well can't wait till the next trip, had so much fun

Lesley

i'll finish off a full wrap up of somerset now as i turned up first to set up camp on thursday morning my kids were still in school so the wife and kids came staurday . rob kev brad leslie said they were coming friday morning so after having a few beers while getting the camp set i decided to not drive up to the dam to set the pots but opted for a swim down the river right behind the camp . during the arvo i got a text from brad he is coming up tonight by that stage i had the wobbly boot on so i went for a nap till they got there . helped brad and leslie get set up and joined them again for evening drinks while dicussing fridays plan of attack .

about 0430 the birds start kookaburras cockatoos parrats and i drag myself out of bed knock up some breaky then head up the dam . launched the boat about 0600 then started running the pots after which was decided to sit in this cove with shade anf fish till the first pot run . 90 minutes they soaked then we checked them getting 70 crays straight up between brad and i it started to get hot so i headed back to the trailer and pulled out . shot back to camp for some drinks and another swim down the river before rob allan and kev arrived . helped the boys get set up then went for another swim till it cooled off about 1500 before we all launched again rob running his pots and brad and i checking ours . 210 redclaw we ended up with friday surprising us so camp beckoned again . the evening was the usual fishermans gathering with fish tales and discusing the next day .

saturday comes early again with birds being our alarm clock breakfast then launch pot run but a bit of skiing and tubing . my family come up along with dassas family and davo dinkum family and a few of my freinds its the same as yesterday with going back to camp through the middle of the day . swims were the go down the river amongst the trees the afternoon pot run had another 200 cray haul that day . these redclaw were cooked by dassa that evening in garlic sauce that was to die for it was the talk of the diferent ways we cooked them . this night the camp was full and i got myself very merry to say the least which give greif the next day .

sunday rolls around with the same as yesterday with redclaw and skiing packed up and left 1400 just after the storm

mark

Good report lesley and SORRY to the wife's girl freind's who keep the food coming saturday night my wife Cheryl,misses tugger Sheryl,misses straddie Lesley,and misses dinkum colleen and I still can't belive with all that food out I failed to eat any of it epic fail on my behalf but the cowboy's went down a treat.And mopkev nice to meet you mate and for a pom what a great bloke and I hope your not to sore for work today I hope to catch up soon.Did any one get photos of those big reds that were caught sunday big enought to bite your arm of with claws and body they were as long as your for arms

cheers dassa

fair dinkum mate this is a fishing forum isn't it where half or more here would puts hooks in live fish or prawn etc for hours waiting for something to tare it apart so where are you heading with this hope i'm not to abruptroobs wrote:

i don't want to go off half-cocked and upset anyone but did you de-tail the redclaw alive?

Roobs - are you asking cause you want to learn or looking for a rumble?

When I de-tail I just rip their bloody heads off. That's the quickest way. Grab their head in one hand and tail in the other, then twist and tear. It only hurts when they pinch you with their claws.

I live near a cattle slaughter yard and I don't think they ice the cattle down before turning it into steak.

it's up to you what methods you use when fishing. i'm prepared to take a stand regarding humane methods of slaughter but at the same time if you want to get the best out of your cray meat then anaesthetising them first is both a humane and a taste-smart way to go about it.

rosco1974 wrote:

g'day

sounds like you all had a great trip,might have to come up if there is a next trip,am going to take my son up for a long weekend trip the 1st week of the school holidays and try catch a feed of red claw,what bait did yous use and what depth of water did u get them in,

cheers rosco

mate we used different baits the main ones were orange,rockmelon,and paw-paw.try in the 7-10 meter mark.brad

I had a few feeds of redclaw up at Monduran while we were there. First time I have really had a good feed of it and I was quite impressed very nice!

As for de-tailing, easiest way is to de-tail as you pull them out of the traps, then tails straight in to an esky, head back over the side. (Just check on the rules for specific dams - EG North Pine your not allowed to do that.)

Well what a godd weekend, i had pulled the pin and wasnt going to head up but saturday came around and i had a stinking hangover.... so i grabed the swag, a few bits and peices and the new deckie (thats rite your job is on the line) :laugh: and headed up, was stinking hot so hit the creek strait away, checked the pots with rob, had a flick in the creek with kev and brock for some salmon tailed catties on 4lbs gear, and then it was time to have a few beers and eat redclaw, cheers all for the hospitality and to those new faces i met up there. thanks for the tow sunday tugger kel had a blast tho shes a bit sore today :laugh:

Archived