Paradise Point Squid

Schilling

Went down to the Goldie 4 work last Tuesday. Schollies was in full swing and wasn't to keen on being a toolie so headed up to paradise point 4 a quiet fish. There is a nice jetty just north of the bridge to Ephraim Island. Plenty of bait around caught about 20+ herring in the cast net, only kept 12. Put them out deep hopefully 4 something big. Put some small surface and diving lures on and played around in the shallows twitching and popping around all the weed beds. Didn't see any action on the lures which is most likely due to my skills but stirred up big schools of squid. They were tailing my popper all night!!!!! If only we brought the squid jig????? My mate kept them interested with the popper and i used the cast net to land 4 30-35cm squid. No joke there were about 15 squid just hanging around!!!!! Going down again 4 work tomorrow so this time will pack the squid jigs and a camera!!!! By the way didn't see any action either on the live baits just one big old sand crab, released the remain 8 herring. Just asking if anyone has any tips for catching squid??? Only caught 2 before on the squid jig and i think they were a fluke?? hahaha

Was fishing the new woody point jetty a few months ago and got chatting to 2 old dutch fellas that were squiding. They were using jus the squid jig frame i think its called , (long centre pole with the spikes on the bottom) , they were catching hardy heads and putting them on the frames an jiggin , they caught approx 8 between them in the 2 hours they were there , seeing as hardy heads are popular baitfish in this area i guess its only natural that local squid in these area would take them , its definatlly a technique worth trying (our squid jigs didnt get a sniff)

Archived