Setup for heavier species

RichH

Jus looking at getting myself setup for heavier species , i have a light rod and medium setup i use regulary around the river , looking to invest in heavier gear to tackle sharks , threadies , and any other monsters the Brissy river has in its depths. so i pose these Q's ..What size rod and what rating should i be looking at? what size reel , braid/mono/wire shud i be checking out , went to Big W Stafford City to have a poke around while the missus did a lil chrissie shopping , saw a few abu and bottom of the line ugly stix 6-8kg and approx 6-7" in length for around the $60/$70 mark. Im not looking to spend alot as we are moving house in January and all the expenses that comes with it , and also the fact that im a novice and would rather learn and respect basic gear before spending a packet on gear on not yet worthy of , jus thought id get an idea on what half decent gear is around , and gettin decent advice , any combos people have purchased that would tackle these species etc , cheers in advance B)

my suggestion is if you are looking for a cheap setup stick with spin gear, cheap baitcasters will just give you headaches and poor performance

something around th 20lb rating will land you anything and everything in the river, only things that will really outclass you on 20lb gear are the big cod and sharks that get around

With some skill and patience, 10 lb gear should see you catch most fish you will hook in the river. I agree the 2-4 kg rod is a bit light to put much hurt on a fish. The 4500 BTR will happily fish up to 20lb line, so you might get away with buying a spare spool, but you would still need a heavier rod and having a spare spool would only give you one outfit to play with. I reckon get a smaller reel to go on your 2-4 kg rod. A 2500 size spin reel would make a nice bream/flathead/bass etc combo. You can get a used Stradic 2500FH for around $150 on ebay, or a Sedona or Sahara would all make a nice combo. I reckon the 4500 BTR is probably too heavy for that rod. Then you can get a heavier rod to go with the 4500 BTR reel. I will send you a pm. Jeremy

Archived