Reel Advice

RichH

I think backing the drag off was the way to go when drag washers made of felt were interspersed with metal drag washers. Taking the pressure off them helped stop them becoming compressed. I don't think they still use those softer fibre washers in the modern drag systems, but I might be wrong. I know that Steve at Mossops told me a couple of years ago that there is no benefit to backing off the drag between fishing trips.

i wouldnt leave my drag loose, nor would i lock it right up...just a nice firm pressure, it's going to elimanate the possibility of dust particles and stuff like that getting in there as well. If you keep your gear in the garage there are carbon particles and all sorts of stuff floating around as well...

yoyo wrote:

i wouldnt leave my drag loose, nor would i lock it right up...just a nice firm pressure, it's going to elimanate the possibility of dust particles and stuff like that getting in there as well. If you keep your gear in the garage there are carbon particles and all sorts of stuff floating around as well...

RichH, I`m a left over from the felt washer days and back my drags off to the extent that if i was using them,a very undersize whiting would take line from the setting.

yoyo, the frequently used combos I keep together I put socks over the reels for that reason.

cheers

Archived