Outboard help please

Malcolm

This is a 2003 50 hp Tohotsu 2 stroke I'm looking at buying

The compressions are 125,115 & 110

As the boat is used every week we dont flush any of our motors

It could do with a new water pump impellar & needs oil in the tilt ram.

I know its a risk but does any of this jump out as being bad

Mal

as brad said mal, flushing is def a problem, after 5 years of constant salt drying all bout the internals of the engine would be a minor concern, just think about how you would feel if you bought it and a pin hole appeared in the block somewhere, ouch, and also being a tohatsu too, they aren't the best for corrosion properties. but when it comes down to it mal. what you have stated is how the engine has been looked after, or abused??? so i would give it a miss. who knows what else could be wrong with it internally, as if some owner has looked after it, it would be a different story. but funny as i remember seeing a motor somewhere, looks like a 40 or 50 hp, i'll find out about it if you like.

robbo

faulked wrote:

it sounds ugly mate id be concerned about the drop in compression if its a daily user i wouldnt be to concerned about corrosion have a real good look for signs of corrosion if its there avoid it

I agree, bit too dear to use for an anchor. ;)

Although flushing wouldn't be a concern if used weekly, as we never flushed out the Yammys on the pro boats in 2 years. I'd be more concerned about the drop in compression.

the only difference here with the pro's not flushing motors is they are used most days, and a reputable brand that has been around for a number of years,tohatsu's have always been a cheaply built motor built in one of the factories along side yamaha and mercury, but nowhere near the same qualities of the other 2 mentioned.

Archived