for speed 1knot is = 1 nauticle mile per hour

1 nauticle mile = 1852 meter's or 1.852 klm

12inches or 30.5cm = 1 foot

6 feet = 1 fathom

120 fathoms = 1 cable length

7.5 cable lengths = 1 mile

easy hey :huh: :woohoo: :silly:

tomca wrote:

and if you own a ski boat or jetski, all rules that include speed or distance are ignored :angry:

six knot limit is about a fast jogging speed, but also known as 'no wake' which in reality is about 2 knots. I am confusing myself more than Kriso already has :huh:

Tomca, if you want to be really confused, you just had to meet the water cop who pulled me over on the Sunday morning 4.30am of the BRC. He had the speed gun on me as we went through the 6 knot area under the Gateway. Yes, I was doing less than 6 knots, but this is also a no wash zone and apparently I was causing some wash (which he conceded was less than the wind chop prevailing at the time)and he would have booked me if I was in a Marina (fortunately I was in the main channel, not in a marina, so not sure of the relevance. Also gave me a lecture on the fact that my factory fitted lights were not legal because they were not exactly parallel to the hull, but because it was after daybreak (again relevance?) he would cut me a break. Anyway, he is the exception not the rule as all the other water police I have dealt with have been great and thank god they are there.

cheers

Steve

Archived