Far North Fishing - Mowbray River

bmxdirtjumpa

Yesterday went for a landbased flick at the mowbray river about 60K north of Cairns no fish caught though my mate had a 80ish barra have a go at his lure and not hook up and I also had one of the same size have a crack at my lure.

So today we took the boat up to chase some fish in what seemed to be a nice healthy river system and hopefully catch a few. The day started off alright with me picking up a 30ish cod in the first 15 mins and died off from there. We casted at the mangrove roots and snag riddled banks with shallow and deep diving lures for nothing. While moving spots my mate threw out his lure to have a quick troll while I moved slowly towards the next spot when all of a sudden I hear "I'm on!!!" followed by his 3000 size reel screaming. After a fairly long first run he managed to get it fairly close to the boat and it was off again and this went on for about 10 minutes, I called it for a trevally but soon enough we saw it and it was HUGE and it was a BARRA! He didn't wanna be near the boat and it took another few minutes to get him aboard. Dehooked him snapped a few fotos and released. Happened to also be my mates first ever fish on a lure!! haha won't be beating that one for a while. He was stoked.

Went 97cm

P271209_171201.jpg

Still waiting for the day I catch a barra!

Yes illegal to target them but you will catch them from the same spots as fingermark and jacks so as long as released they are fair game.Bmx there are close reefs of the Mowbray that can we used to catch some good trout to about 60 cms not even 300mtrs from the beach. Most people bypass these thinking they were fished out years ago. This couldnt be further from the truth.....Nice barra, well done.

• 11 years later...