Wanted Laptop.

rayke1938

i got a new one ,2 years ago it a 600$ job .

dose everything i want ok.

mrs got 1000$ one a year and 1/2 ago,its better ,but they still do the same stuff .

my cheapie lags in the multimedia department but still gets there in the end .

i reckon new is the way to go ,with 3 or 5 years warranty.

there a few different warranty's about all come with 12 month .

then some have the cash back, but if u don't take it u get the manufacture one for 2 extra years .

or like the good guys offer a 2 year one for some $ or a 5 year with come company or something .

we got the warranty for peace of mind as before we had laptops a few mates had them and a few had troubles with them in the first 2 years.

but in saying that both of these laptops are on almost all the time and get dragged around camping etc.

we use adsl at home ,use the caravan park and mc donalds wireless,all good .

Ray.

Just picked up a new laptop for my son from the Dell website. Mid range with everything he needed (wireless etc).

$700 included a free upgrade to Windows 7. I have attached a link below to the type I got my son. Got him a 15.6" but the link to the 10" is there also.

Cheers

/>http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/business/notebooks/xpsnb/ct.aspx?refid=xpsnb&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1&ref=lthp

really depends on what you will be using it for. If for travelling those new mini laptops (netbooks) are really cool as they are small and can do all the things you need when travelling (eg emails, internet etc). However they arent very powerful and dont have alot of storage, but you can get them cheapish anywhere between $200-700.

There are a fair few laptops now on sale but i would look carefully at these as i think in alot of circumstances spending a little bit extra now will help future-proof the laptop. Alot of the cheaper laptops have older processors and less ram so arent too good comparably. As said above, you can pick up some good laptops now for $700-$1200 which i think are good and more than adequate for what you will probably be wanting to do with it. These now nearly all come with Windows 7 which supposedly is far better than Vista as it is less resource hungry.

hi Ray

i get all my pc and lappy gear from MSY in slacks creeck Randall st next to moss st!

they are soo cheap mate! netbooks with plenty of power and hd space for around 300 and full sise powerfull lappys for around 600-1000!

goodluck mate and give me a yell if ya need a hand with what ya need?

cheers Ian

I was told my a computer guru friend that in terms of reliability your best bets historically are Asus, Toshiba, Sony, and Apple. Your worst bets, historically, are Lenovo, Acer, Gateway, and HP. He said that HP has almost a one-in-four failure rate over three years. Apparently Samsungs have pretty good screens and hardware too, but they're sort of new in the laptop market.

Windows 7 is definitely better than Vista from what I've heard...my friend has a newish computer on vista with 3 gig Ram, 2.44 GHZ or something like that...all intel, and it barely outpaced my 5 year old XP, 512 ram 2.2 GHZ Dell.

Ray,

If you are just after something basic and can handle a smaller screen you can pick up a new Asus Eee PC for around $400. They have screens ranging from 7 inches to 10+ and have built in wireless so perfect for traveling and just keeping in touch. I'm told they are pretty tough too and travelling friends of mine swear by them. Check on ebay they could be cheaper again.

Great call Henry.... Cause as I was about to say, I dont think Ray would be using it ultra gaming and need high end video cards etc.

A good solid CPU with big memory and explore the wireless thing a bit. I have wireless at home with no land line at all. Just means I can pack it up and take it on the road wherever I have coverage and use it.

2nd hand Lappy, If the mother board dies, then you could be up for $1k - 2.5k to replace, if the screen dies, then you might need the interposer, cable and screen , that could be $1k - 2.5k or more, they are the main parts you need to be worried about, also if you want to play good games, then forget the $600 new ones, they will just over heat or wont be able to play the games, if your just after something to check your emails, and surf the net , they you should be ok.

Getting a brand new lappy is the best option, 1: you get a warranty, and you can extend it. 2:No one else has owned it, so only you will know how its treated because you will be using it

tobie10 wrote:

I was told my a computer guru friend that in terms of reliability your best bets historically are Asus, Toshiba, Sony, and Apple. Your worst bets, historically, are Lenovo, Acer, Gateway, and HP. He said that HP has almost a one-in-four failure rate over three years. Apparently Samsungs have pretty good screens and hardware too, but they're sort of new in the laptop market.

Windows 7 is definitely better than Vista from what I've heard...my friend has a newish computer on vista with 3 gig Ram, 2.44 GHZ or something like that...all intel, and it barely outpaced my 5 year old XP, 512 ram 2.2 GHZ Dell.

u forgot Compaq ,

think they made by hp .

they one of the cheapest and worst about .

we got acer's and so far so good .but only at the 2 year mark .

but they better than a compaq ,in my eyes.

robin wrote:

2nd hand Lappy, If the mother board dies, then you could be up for $1k - 2.5k to replace, if the screen dies, then you might need the interposer, cable and screen , that could be $1k - 2.5k or more, they are the main parts you need to be worried about, also if you want to play good games, then forget the $600 new ones, they will just over heat or wont be able to play the games, if your just after something to check your emails, and surf the net , they you should be ok.

Getting a brand new lappy is the best option, 1: you get a warranty, and you can extend it. 2:No one else has owned it, so only you will know how its treated because you will be using it

very true... especially from unknown sources.

Do$tylz wrote:

ray - if its really just for the basics email, docs, internet let me know and I'll build you one. Price - redclaw :)

give me a call mate and I can try and build you one by next week.

2 options - ultra portable - 1.2kg but 13"LCD

or 15"LCD at your regular weight.

Bugga,Bugga, Bugga,Bugger,bugger,Bugger. Sh!t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from NPD and instead of jumping on AFO i cleaned the esky and put the batteries on charge. Just gave the neighbour my share of the redclaw and wont be going back till next week. Should have a feed or 2 for you then Henry.

Thanks very much for generous offer.

Cheers

Ray

I used to be a Techy at a place that sells HP like its booze at a pub, and trust me, even tho yours and people you know have not had any issues, I had so many comming in for repairs, for things like, Mem curruption, Hdd dieing, Overheating cpu, Lines accross the screen, they are not worth it, and I totaly aggree with Tobie10, Toshiba's are the best i have seen, I have seen a few faults and thats the same with all brands, but there warranty service, you cant beet, they are quick, and have a few repair outlets in brisbane.

Keep a eye on the Battery warranty, most are only for 6 months.

Archived