Walking around the Broadwater....

chris_stewart14

Do$tylz wrote:

nice fish Chris. Was the water super fresh?? or is the current strong enough there that it gets re-salted every tide? I was considering driving all the way down there just to get my fish of fishing this weekend.

Tobie - im pretty sure that lure is a sammy 65... :)

Resalted every tide mate... The yabby flats that are scattered around the broadwater have been good landbased go to's for me lately to get some sun and afew fish.

Some nice fish there and some nice photography. Great the way you have taken the pics of the flathead makng them look like they are 1.5 miles long...LOL

Thinking of the surface take of the flattie, if it was in fairly shallow water, then they do sit on the bottom and with those eyes can only see up. So as most ambuses occur still under water where the fish swims up to the lure, perhaps this guy just thought 'Hell why not, its Christmas' and ended up on the surface before he knew it.

quality flattie from the surface.

I have been trying a few of the rocky bridges around Runaway Bay for a cod or jack like the ones in your picks but I cant crack the code. I'm getting heaps of moses perch and small cod but nothing worthy of a picture.

Should I keep hitting the same spots with bigger baits around dusk or should I find another spot?

thanks

Nick

efc wrote:

quality flattie from the surface.

I have been trying a few of the rocky bridges around Runaway Bay for a cod or jack like the ones in your picks but I cant crack the code. I'm getting heaps of moses perch and small cod but nothing worthy of a picture.

Should I keep hitting the same spots with bigger baits around dusk or should I find another spot?

thanks

Nick

Hey Nick,

Definately try bigger baits & lures as those two species are definately not shy to take something big down... However it all has to do with the bridge and what bait usually holds underneath.. Some bridges hold alot of 2-4cm baitfish hence Jacks being caught on sx 40's where others hold good amounts of larger mullet.. Your definately in the right area mate and I dont think you need to change spots by the sound - just try them at dawn and dusk and dont be afraid to fish in the nasty stuff... If your not losing tackle every single trip your not in the right spot.

Goodluck

thanks for the reply Chris. I think fishing is still a bit of luck and confidence helps as well. I will stick to the same spots and try a few different tides and baits and fingers crossed i can contribute to the forum with a decent fishing report one day.

Nick

haha hey chris we have to co-ordinate a bit better, i was using pretty much exactly the same lures in exactly the same piece of water for the last 3 days !

although i did have a bit more success with a black/gold daiwa sc shiner, and also a small clear popper. not much size to anything i caught, couple of 30cm bream and alot of 25-30cm flathead around the broadwater. got a heap just in the gap between the two big sandbanks there mate, give it a crack.

Other than that was getting lfatties on poppers up at paradise point as well.... but again not a great deal of size to them, 45 was the biggest one i think...

hey mate, let me know next time you head down. I'm keen to learn more lure techniques.. I was starting to guess If what i had been doing was wrong but i got an alright sized flattie yesterday on broadwater so if you dont mind a couple guys tagging along throwing lures with you myself and a mate would been keen ;)

Archived