Lake Cootharaba - report

raven

Hi All

Heading to Lake Cootharaba on Monday for a weeks camping adventure with the extended family.

Have done as much research as I can but can't seem to find too much on this location.

I've checked out fishingnoosa.com.au but its a bit hard to find the relevant information.

What I'm after I guess is just some feedback firstly in re to whether or not there are fish in the lake and, if so, what's there and what's the best way of going about catching them.

The camping place we're staying at also offers boat hire so we'll be looking at that one day at least as well so any info on where to head would be great.

Thanks in advance.

paul...

Hi Raven

Went up to Lake Cootharaba coupla months ago in a house boat.

The channel where lakes narrows and haeds back into the Noosa river itself has good channels either side. Didn't fish them, but you could clearly see the drop off as we went past.

Had dinner at the Apolloian Hotel at Boreen Point and the advice was supposed to be a few flat head around the rocks at Boreen Point...

There is a little jetty there as well, you'll see a few of the rocks etc.

Apolloian Hotel at Boreen Point not bad for a feed too. Got a big outdoor area and if you have kids they can run etc. around in the yard area out the back / side of hotel.

Lake Cootharaba is mainly shallow and lotsa just knee deep areas..

Lovely spot up there. Hope you enjoy it.

Sparksie

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated. Will definitely head towards Boreen Point - dump the women and kids off at the pub and we'll head to the jetty!

Feral wrote:

Great for Bullies, so many they commercially fish them there.

Where abouts in the lake would be the best shot at bullies? Towards the southern end the Sparksie referred to or do they tend to patrol all around the shop?

Are the kids likely to get chomped on..! :ohmy: Wife will never let me hear the end of it!

Hi All

Just a quick report on the camping adventure. Set up camp on Monday at the Elanda Point camp ground and settled in to a few hundred beers and a great feed which pretty much wiped out the rest of Monday in fine fashion.

Next day we headed on down to the lake so that the kids could have a swim etc and I took the opportunity to wet a line. Unfortunately no action there but the kids had a great time.

Wednesday we pissed the women off to Eumundi for the day to hit the markets and we (we being myself, bro in law Shannon and father in law Fard) being the top blokes that we are took all the kids (all 6) on a bush walk up to Mill Point. Very interesting spot with bits of the old milling equipment sitting there rusting away. Amazing to see the pictures of what the place looked like before they decimated the landscape - some massive trees were felled there back in the mid 1800's. Anyway, once again set the kids up in the water for a play and I threw a line out - one again though no joy.

Thursday was our day to fish and we organised to hire a boat for the day. Headed out at about 8.30 in the morning and made our way up to Fig Tree Pt eventually, dropping a few pots off along the way - I say eventually because due to my fine navigational skills we had to resort to Fard's iPhone to GPS where the hell we were in relation to where we were supposed to be! But anyway, we eventually got to where we wanted.

Anchored up just up past the information centre and dropped the lines in. Within only minutes I get smashed by what would turn out to be a PB Bream - not massive but still pretty darn good for me.

PBBream.jpg

Unfortunately, for what was a decent sized bream it really didn't go as hard as I would have expected. I think it may have been to do with the amount of fresh running in? Anyway, this looked like a good start and we were pretty sure we would end up with a good feed of Breamies but alas this was not to be... From them on in it was catfish central. Still good fun catching them but after the first 20 odd it gets a bit dull. I did however get another PB with this bloke:

PBCatty.jpg

At about 4 we started packing up and given we hadn't caught enough bream for a meal we let the big guy go. On the way back we pulled the pots and were stoked to find a good sized muddy. Having never caught a muddy before I made the fatal mistake of assuming I could just pick it up like a sandy.. clearly not. Reached in to the pot and grabbed it from behind and the mongrel tagged me a beauty. Reefed my hand out of the pot with said muddy attached to my index finger, screamed like a little **** and flung the damn thing right out the side of the boat. As the blood poured from my finger I'm sure it gave me the bird as it blissfully sank back down to the bottom of the lake. Hurt would be an understatement and as testament I'm learning to type without the aid of my right index finger...

Bleedin.jpg

Bleedin3.jpg

Bleedin2.jpg

Anyway, lesson learned.. next time tip the pot into the boat and step on the buggers.

All up a great trip, the kids had a ball and the place itself is well equipped especially if you have a young family. Unfortunately, not great for fishing but I guess if you had your own boat or yak you could spend more time travelling up into the fresher water for bass etc.

Cheers

Big tick from me mate - especially if you're bringing kids along.

The place has toilets, showers and laundry facilities. A shop that sells various camping supplies as well as ice, groceries and take away food. And of course boat and canoe hire. They even have a projector set up out front of the shop that had the cricket on during the day then they put on a movie for the kids at night.

Heaps of room to setup either right on the lake or well back behind the trees - it was blowing 30 knots when we got there so we set up behind the second line of trees and it was really comfortable.

Lots of bush walk options as well as canoe adventures.

This is a shot of our camp site:

Camp.jpg

Also, this website gives a good overview of the place as well.

/>http://tinyurl.com/yjcaag2

Cheers

• 10 years later...
9 hours ago, georgefisho2 said:

I recently fished the Lake whilst on holiday off a little jetty in Boreen Point (with a few snags). I had luck with some small bream and lots of catfish on frozen prawns in the afternoon, and two decent cod and two decent trevally using soft plastics early morning and late afternoon.

Hi georgefisho2

Sounds like a nice little holiday you had, good job on the trevs, cod, bream, and catties.

Thanks for the tip on the location. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂