Glenlyon Dam Last Sunday

theduke

My first AFO fishing report of any kind hope it's ok???

Thought I would head down to Glenlyon Dam last Sunday since I was in the area for xmas. Took my wife and father in law along to test out some of the hand carved lures I make called Gidgee Lures. What normally can end up in a trip with no fish, turned out to be rather successful with a total of 7 fish landed 5 beautiful fat Murray Cod and 2 nice Yellas.

My wife hooked the first fish of the day a yella on a Wilbarra Fatty in White with a silver scale and purple back on the first troll run.

Next run up on the same troll line smack!!! a nice little cod on a new proto type called the Wilbarra Chunky the damm thing was not much bigger then the lure.

Missed a nice fish on the way back down the same run and then on the way back up woomp a decent Yella on a Wilbarra Fatty in green, black strip and back with a silver scale.

Time for some new ground and around to an old faithful spot and hooked another cod on a white, pink belly, back stripe, silver scale and olive back, by this time it was getting pretty muggy and we decided to head up past the caves up from the tank stand ( if you have been to this dam you may know where I am talking about) started our first troll run and down came the rain did we get wet rather drenched I should say, so in an effort to avoid the down pour again back down near the dam wall we went to a nice sheltered cove.

Within 5 minutes Bang!!! the father in law was on this time a nice legal cod over 60cm on the proto type again in purple with black strips and back and some red under the belly.

Down a little further over some magnificent snags (only hopeing not to to get snagged) and I was on again this time another little cod on the same Wilbarra Fatty as my yella.

Time to head on back around to our first stomping ground and on the way decided to give another bank a bit of a troll within minutes I was on again on the same lure as my previous cod and yella.

What a day that was the last fish of the day but left rather satisfied for a change as fisho's who have been there will know that at times it can be rather tough to get a fish especially if you are only trolling lures.

The Father in law who fishes the dam regularly reckons that he hasn't had a day this good (number of fish on lures) in a long time, maybe the conditions and weather were perfect who knows.

Attached are some of the beauties caught and released on the day.

Thanks for reading cheers TOM

AFO1.JPG

:woohoo: :woohoo: fantastic cod report!!! awesome pics, its got me pumped heaps since i am heading that way in 2 weeks, starting pindari then moving back to glenlyon!!! the lures done the trick ,top stuff!!! nothing better then home made lures catching fish like the mighty cod!!!!

theduke wrote:

My first AFO fishing report of any kind hope it's ok???

Attached are some of the beauties caught and released on the day.

Thanks for reading cheers TOM

AFO1.JPG

Hope it's OK - Are you kidding, that was great. You got a couple of good catches of beauties just in this photo alone.

Thanks, any more photos?

Mate, They are the lures that I make called Gidgee Lures. I was trying out some new colours and they all worked well, I originally came from Tenterfield which is only a 50min drive and now live in Brissy. Still love the freshwater fishing and make a range of lures to suit and some barra ones as well. As to the day a Glenlyon it was a pearler of a day you don't often troll up that many fish for only a few hours on the water. Cheers Tom

Mate, I do sell them they are called Gidgee Lures all hand carved out of red cedar prices range from $13.00 to $18.00 and then I make some really big Cod lures that sell for $38.00 each thay are called the Wilbarra Chunky and Big Fella they are both 150mm long and massive Cod are loving them. send me a PM if your interested in haveing a look. Cheers Tom

Archived