bass survival rates

Joel Eadie

hey guys i was reading a fishing mag and came across this article with some stats some might be interested in

it is estimated that 75% of all angled australian bass are released

from those released 94% to 100% of the bass survived, the majority of those who didnt were of course foul hooked.

the use of natural baits dramatically increases the chances of bass ingesting the hooks.

while using lures 96% are mouth hooked, while using baits only 63% are.

another cause of death was barotrauma, which is the enlarging of the bladder while rapidly being brought to the surface when coming from depths greater than 10 meters.

in my opinion (i know you dont want it but im giving it anyway :laugh: ) the bass rate of hooks being ingested was only that high cas of beginners using undersize hooks for oversized bass.

on a side note there is a disease going round, 98% of bass are affected, it does no harm to the bass however if they are eaten it results in certain death, yer...so...i wouldnt recommend eating bass.

Joel Eadie wrote:

on a side note there is a disease going round, 98% of bass are affected, it does no harm to the bass however if they are eaten it results in certain death, yer...so...i wouldnt recommend eating bass.

any more info on this disease mate?

dunno about this so called disease cos if there was im sure there would be much noise being made about it,there are literally hundreds of bass being eaten every day and a peep!

although these bass thieves raping small populations I wish they got this disease :evil:

fishingnut wrote:

Joel Eadie wrote:

dunno about this so called disease cos if there was im sure there would be much noise being made about it,there are literally hundreds of bass being eaten every day and a peep!

although these bass thieves raping small populations I wish they got this disease :evil:

well actually i have no more information. but what do you think of the idea of offical looking posters that could go up in popular bass spots warning of it? it could have the seq water symbol on it or something, maybe it would stop somepeople untill they got home and researched it and found nothing

most harm from hooks is from the wrong hooks and from not paying attention to whats going on, by this I mean when you get a bite, strike right away dont let the bass swallow the hook. Best hooks are the wide gap ones, gets them in the side or roof of the mouth and not down their throat. I would say that lures do more damage to fish from what I have seen, 1st set of trebles may hook the mouth but I have seen the second set land in all sorts of places, worst being middle of the eye.

I would agree with Dino. I only use wide gap hooks and reckon less than one in 100 fish are not hooked in the side or roof or the mouth.

Maybe if single hooks were used on lures threr would be a lot less damage to fish but then you would catch a lot less fish as you would not hook up on the fish that sideswipe the fish as an agression reaction.

Crushed barbs will also help reduce damage to fish.( And yourself).

Cheers

Ray

Joel Eadie wrote:

fishingnut wrote:
Joel Eadie wrote:

well actually i have no more information. but what do you think of the idea of offical looking posters that could go up in popular bass spots warning of it? it could have the seq water symbol on it or something, maybe it would stop somepeople untill they got home and researched it and found nothing

2 threads on the same crap about fake signs. Give it up.

Joel Eadie wrote:

I highly doubt this is true, i've eaten bass that have had some sort of disease on them and im still here. Maybe I should try them raw :P

shortie wrote:

Joel Eadie wrote:
fishingnut wrote:
Joel Eadie wrote:

2 threads on the same crap about fake signs. Give it up.

i'm with you shortie this guy is a tosser

spreading false information to further your own agenda

grow up

Joel Eadie wrote:

hey guys i was reading a fishing mag and came across this article with some stats some might be interested in

it is estimated that 75% of all angled australian bass are released

from those released 94% to 100% of the bass survived, the majority of those who didnt were of course foul hooked.

the use of natural baits dramatically increases the chances of bass ingesting the hooks.

while using lures 96% are mouth hooked, while using baits only 63% are.

another cause of death was barotrauma, which is the enlarging of the bladder while rapidly being brought to the surface when coming from depths greater than 10 meters.

in my opinion (i know you dont want it but im giving it anyway :laugh: ) the bass rate of hooks being ingested was only that high cas of beginners using undersize hooks for oversized bass.

this is the most amount of bull crap i have ever heard :laugh: get real buddy ive never heard of a single person falling sick to eating bass and i know bass are being eatin every day, seriosly where do you get YOUR info :blink:

im still here arnt i, the biggest health risk at present from eating bass is the cholesterol from the oil i fry my fillets in and the cold stubby that washes it down :P . in saying that though i rarley eat them as im not much of a fan of thier taste

Archived