the frustration!!!!!!!!!

Jordan

far out, went to the nudgee beach jetty again, caught a ripper 65 cm flatty (filmed the release as usual with large fish) and a 38 cm flatty. things were pretty slow so decided to call it a day. as i was riding home past my normal shultz area, i ran into a mate and decided to sit n have a chat with him while he fished. as we were talking, a silver car turned up across the other side of the creek, and two indian men around 30-40 yrs old got out. with them were alot of pots, not sure if they had over 8, but they definatley diddnt have under. i was ready this time. with a smile on my face i waited for them to check there first pot. it wasnt long. 10 minutes after they had them all out they checked the first one, and up came two undersized mudcrabs, and they predictably got out a hession bag and tipped them it. GOTCHA!! i thought, as i whipped out my phone and called the fisheries. and this is where it all went wrong... the first lady was nice, she seemed about as determined as i was to get them busted, but when she put me through to the next lady, i lost all hope that the offenders would be caught. while they put me on hold i counted 15 undersized crabs go in the bag, until i was finally connected. the lady on the other side really diddnt seem at all to determined to stop the act, and she slowly took MY details, which took quite some time. when i asked if she would send someone down she said theres probably no one available, but thanks for the call anyway. i was furious. managed to give her there license plate and car make, but that was it, i really cant see how they are going to do alot with that. they took enough of my details though. not sure what for...

that would be pretty annoying

you might wanna try to remain anonymous

that way they dont spend half an hour getting your details that dont really matter

unless it was cause they are doing a recruitment drive and gonna send you out an application pack

it was very frustrating, i was only there for the first round of them checking the pots, i bet they filled the whole bag up! im gonna talk to my mate next time i see him n ask him if he saw the fisheries come, doubt it though, she really diddnt sound like she was taking me seriously... advice anyone? what should i do next time? just try again? what should i have done?

find out who the dpi minister is and fire off a letter to him :angry:

i allways front them and tell thewm what they are doing is wrong, tell them what the penaltys are for what they are doing is, if you have a camera take thier photo and a photo of thier car showing the registration plate.if they get nasty about this you may have to run,

i can get away with this because of the size of me the way i look and the large knife or gaff in my hand that i'm quite willing to use:evil:

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/29 16:42

is it a difference of culture or contempt? it seems that there is a lot of negative attitude and a general consensus that asians take undersized fish. i certainly notice it but am not racist. is there any asian fisher-people able to comment on it?

if these guys were aussies, dont worry, id be just as quick to call the fisheries up, TRUST ME! i cant stand to see people take undersized fish and crabs when stocks are already low, asians indian aussies or whatever. it just so happens that this time and the other previous half a dozen times have been frome foreigners. dont think im in any way beeing racist.

its not racist saying that you have noticed asians taking undersized fish it is racist saying that all asians take undersized fish is gross stereotype and completely false

cause not all asians fish and the ones that do dont all take undersize fish

incidently my local haunt kookaburra park is laced with derros any class of white folk with low morals who use undersized fish to catch undersized crabs ( then complain thats there only undersized crabs)

how disgusting is it to see a 30 to 40cm threadfin used as crab pot bait although i think 40 cm is legal for threadfin its just not a goodlook

Angus has said this before roughly that its not just asians taking undersized fish

and quite frankly im sick of this topic

far out chill, all i said was they were indian, i dont care if there australian citizens or not, i dont care who they are, im just describing the people that i saw take undersized crabs and then everyone throws there hands in the air pointing the finger at me as a racist, im trying to do a good thing by reporting illegal behaviour, and no one seems to see my side.

roobs wrote:

is it a difference of culture or contempt? it seems that there is a lot of negative attitude and a general consensus that asians take undersized fish. i certainly notice it but am not racist. is there any asian fisher-people able to comment on it?

i think it's a bit of both roobs when you front them they either plead ignorance of the rules or come the old\" me no speakee englis\" and it's not just asians i've fronted plenty of europeans about it to, you see them out with thier castnets and grandma is there with a mincer and a plastic bag, everything goes in.

i think if you havent got the guts to front them you arent much better than they are, you dont have to come on strong like i do, just politely tell them what they are doing is wrong. take a few pics to send to the dpi.or even better send them to a current affair.

seriously guys, if you went up to their bucket and threw the undersized stock in the water n then got into a biff with em, arnt u in more trouble than they are? cause then u have no proof that they had undersized fish. our old technique of kiking the buket in the water is a good way to release the undersized fish, but it doesnt teach them anything. far out it seems like such a hopeless situation...

Good on anyone I say who has the balls to do anything at all about this very big and very real problem. It's easy for us to sit here and tell Jordan to get into biff or slash their tyres or whatever but we are not the ones in the middle of nowhere possibly about to get into some serious shit...I personally think Jordan congrats on calling the DPI but maybe just start up a conversation with these ignorant assholes and try to let them know that they are doing the wrong thing. Many people aussies included just aren't aware that there are size and bag limits. Or maybe just take someone like jeff with you next time and let him loose with his gaff...that would be great to see..in fact let me go to so I can watch.

thank you very much bud, its good to know that i have some support. emailed the dpi and told them i wasnt really happy about the attitude towards my situation, and also asked them about getting into tagging fish. i was shaking at work tonight i was still in such a mood, one day ill mouth off and get myself in trouble, i just hope someone will b there to help me haha.

roobs wrote:

to be frank, lower-income, lesser educated asians are generally VERY ignorant about rules and regulations, and they would blantantly disobey them given any opportunity to do so. Why? from my experience with locals in Malaysia, they merely see rules and regulations as an inconvenience, and if there's any way to get around them, they'll try if they can benefit from it. If they get busted, it's nothing to them, they're low-lifers anyway, jailbirds at one time or another most likely. if they died tmr i doubt anyone'd notice.

Definitely not contempt. Culture is an issue though, because lower-level asians are taught that as long as it's edible, it's a feed one way or another.

IMHO, the best way to deal with it is start enforcing the stiff penalties that you guys have over there. Once someone is made an example of, less ppl'd try the same thing.

Forming a vigilante group to teach em a lesson might be counterproductive- might blow up into some stupid fight or racial issue, which would be totally uncalled for.

My best guess is that going over, telling the retards that what they're doing is wrong, informing them of the rules and regulations is the best way to go about it. If they still persist, whip out of phone or camera, snap a few shots of em in action, car plates, a few mugshots for good measure, then bugger off. They've got no right to stop you, and if they do, you've got a criminal case against them already. Once you've got the evidence and submit it to the authorities, the onus is on them to do something abt it. If I'm not mistaken, the public authorities there are answerable and accountable to the general public right?

How come the fisheries are that inefficient? I thought they'd be rather serious about this kind of thing...

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/03/30 03:53

For my 2.2 cents inc GST, Jordan, you have to be commended big time for doing something. Too many of us are guilty of seeing this cr*p happening and doing nothing. Don't lose faith mate, keep ringing, keep em honest.

Unfortunately the only way to deal with the government is with persistance and weight of numbers.

Kiara is spot on, it's a culture thing, only 10-20 years ago catch and release was unheard of, regardless of race, people were destroying the fisheries left right and centre. Education and more presence from fisheries are the keys, I think.

Mate, with guys like you as the next breed of fishermen things are looking better

took my brother up to nudgee beach for a bit of a fish in the new spot in the creek for an hour. manged to get a nice 40 cm flatty and he got 5 undersized bream and a stonker 17.5 cm mudcrab!!!! was sourly disapointed to find it was a jenny... but probably would have been even more disapointed if it was a male as we wuldnt have been able to get it home on our bikes. anyway on the way home we ran into the indians again, so i politley asked them if they had caught anything as the stood between me and the bucket. i asked if could see in the bucket but they again denied that they had caught anything. as my brother was videoing from a distance i signalled him to come over as we forced ourselves through the men to find 3 undersized crabs and a large jenny. although there was only a few undersized crabs it felt good that we had possibly saved them. the men then tried the speak no englsih trick when i tried to explain to them that they were undersized as i picked up the bucket and released them all. they were far from happy. one of the men was dressed in a distinct chefs suit, so i could imagine they were taking them to a restaraunt or something. anyway, as long as the crabs diddnt go back to the pots, then they are safe for now. the indians are still down there, probably still collecting, but couldnt find there car so diddnt bother ringing fisheries. got some pictures though. probably cant post because of privacy reasons ey. would i be allowed to post them?

karma to you jordan maybe the forum could start a wall of shame where fishermen that have been caught exceeding bag limit or keeping undersize fish have there photo posted and a dosier

did it look silly to see a dude dressed up in chef outfit crabbing

you can't use people's images on the web without their permission. it's to stop peeping toms putting pictures of people at the beach up on websites but it still applies, especially as you're implying that these people are breaking the law- they could sue for defamation or slander or something like that.

Good work jordan, dont want people further ruining our already overfished waterways!!!

I cant believe the DPI had that kinda reaction, maybe you should just mention you sent the DPI their photos and they said they would come and investigate. Just something to scare them off for a bit, wont stop them permenantly but anything is better than nothing.

-nelson-

haha thanks alot for the support fellahs, and yea thats exactly right, its far better fishin with pride instead of rage, rage kept me up all night last night, and its a good feelin knowing ive done somehing thats appreciated so much. thanks again fellahs.

Found this on ausfish:

Just reading the local paper and came across this story.

Fisheries caught a Drack man at Spinnaker sound marina (Bribie Island) with 48 undersize mudcrabs hidden in cloth bags under the floor in his boat. He was fined $10,000 and ordered to pay court costs as well.

It really gets on my goat when this sort of thing happens. Don't people realize that they are st*****ffing it up for everyone else.

Don't know if I agree with the fine. Maybe it is time to start confiscating Boats and Vehicles.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the message across that if you do the wrong thing you will be PUNISHED.????

Just my thoughts.

Ronnie

Also add to this story From Bayside Bulletin 27/03/2007 The other two convections which were held in Cleveland magistrates court involved a person being fine $4000 for casing damage to marine plants and there other person posseing undersize (les than 15cm across the shell female and excess mudcrabs

he was fine $3250 and ordered to forfeit his boat

advice from the DPI Fisheries Officer Cherelle Broughton \"fishing limits are in place to ensure resources are kept plentlyful for the future I would advise people heading out to brush up on the regulations first so they can enjoy the pleasures of fishing while being reasonable and protecting our valuable fish stocks

Fishwatch 24hr hotline 1800017116, or www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fish-web click on alerts- fishing rules and regulations or contact 132523

In my view you purposely breaking the law while out fishing you deserves in what you get from the courts system

Fishwatch 24hr hotline 1800017116, or www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fish-web click on alerts- fishing rules and regulations or contact 132523

Thought u may like to see they fisheries do take action in some cases... good 2 see.

-nelson-

i know many people are probably looking foward to seeing the end of this topic, but since i posted about the people taking undersized crabs, my karma has lost about 9 points. admitadly its gone up a bit as well, but id appreciate it if people could tell me what they think i am doing wrong, instead of deducting karma and not saying anything, as i find this really isnt achieving anything for both of us, as i am not going to know better for next time, and all you get is a warm fuzzy feeling inside you that youve inconvinienced me in some way. like i said i would appreciate it if people expressed there views about what i am doing wrong, as all i am trying to do is a good thing, and its turned out to be one of the most controversial topics on the site.

Jordan mate,

as I see it you have done nothing wrong. I think the problem may be that people think you were being racist in some way, but as u clarified numerous times it wuddnt have mattered what race they were you still would have done the same thing. I have had enough of people illegally catching and keeping undersized fish and crabs, especially when our fisheries have already been greatly depleted. If it wasnt for people like you ringing in and notifying DPI of actions like this they would have no way to monitor the action of anglers in every creek. Sure they can carry out random inspections and the like, but it is important that well-educated anglers who follow the rules and understand the need for such rules to do their bit to help protect the fish stocks for future generations.

I understand the DPI's position on your call as they are highly stretched for resources and people power, so perhaps if everyone chipped in we could give them a helping hand. I think the best plan of action is to confront anyone breaking the law and just let them know what they are doing (they most likely know and dont care). If they continue thats when you can get the DPI involved.

Keep up the good work Jordan, dont let a few people ruin it for the rest of us!!!

-nelson-

Archived