Burrum Heads January

Old Scaley

Hi All

Just got back from our annual pilgramage to Burrum Heads. Same house every year - conveniently located right beside the boat ramp at the mouth of the river.

Here is the view from the front room of the house:

P1000145_AFO.jpg

Weather was perfect for morning fishing. Target species this year were reefies and maybe a mackerel or two. Day one was good, with some just undersized sweetlip (mostly grassies, but I did manage one 37 cm red throat - just short by 1 cm :( ), and a nice 40cm cod :cheer:

P1000145_AFO.jpg

The next few days were very quiet on the bottom bashing. Got very frustrating, as the mackerel would only bite on the lines I was using for bottom bashing with flurocarbon leaders and slice right through them. Finally something very fast took the heavier line with a fine wire trace rigged with a live gar, but unfortunately my favourite old reel (ABU Cardinal 757 vintage 1981) chose that moment for the spindle attached to the handle to die of old age, so I lost another nice fish. Story of the trip really. :(

Had to fall back on the ever relaiable bream for a feed most days. Here is a nice mangrove bank that can produce good fish at times, but not too many this trip:

P1000145_AFO.jpg

More reliable is tis drop off at low tide. Photo taken from front steps of the house.

P1000145_AFO.jpg

Had the crab pots out all week and managed only one keeper muddie. Apparently there were heaps of prawns around the first couple of days we were there, but I only had my brother's 6 foot non-drawstring cast net which was ok for herring and hardiheads but no good for prawns. Lost it on day 3 by not securing the wrist strap in 8 metres of water :blush: and drove into the Hervey Bay to get a replacement 9 foot drawstring net. Set out the next day to chase these big prawns. Left at the same time as the local pro, netted the same area for about 4 hours. He did better than me - he got 1 prawn :laugh: I got nothing!

Yesterday, I managed to get a nice cobia. Again just too small at 70cm, but still great fun. No piccie cos my wife wanted to take some high tide photos and I was always out fishing at high tide (and low tide, and in-between tides :laugh: ) Not too many fishy photos at all really. first year without kids means no deckie and I always forget to take happy snaps until after the fish are back in the water. Have to work on that.

Anyway, despite the lack of fish and crabs this week, it was still a fantastic break. I got so relaxed I keep having to take my pulse to see if I am actually alive.

Thanks for reading

Steve

Burrum heads is an old fashioned holiday town Barney, probably 50% of the houses are holiday rentals. Heaps of good uns to choose from. Have a look here, their web site is pretty good, they handle a lot of the rentals in Burrum herads

/>http://www.eldersburrumheads.com.au/

Barney, see if you can get one of the houses right on the river. It will make the experience a lot more enjoyable even if it costs a few bob extra. Out of school holidays the rates are pretty good. If you have kids who need maccas and a lot of entertainment, this is not the spot for you, but if you are looking for a sleepy little fishing village with all the essentials in easy reach, give it a go.

wow.. didn't see this report. I love this area of QLD. Its such a short drive, but long enough to feel like you're going on a holiday. And the water is always beautiful and if you pick non school holiday times, you can literally be the only one on the water the entire day.

Beautiful.

Archived