Somerset paddle with Alex this morning

Feral

Well wanted to take my youngest son for a paddle today. I'm slowly building him up so he can spend a reasonable amount of time on the water. The tides were a little late and big today for a salt water trip, so I opted for Somerset dam, launching at the Kilcoy Fishing Cub lease at Villeneuve about 7 this morning.

P1170013.jpg

Took the fishing gear, not expecting anything, but to continue getting him used to changing lures, handling the tackle bag and rod etc etc.

Anyway the plan was to just have a look at the dam with the lower water level (down about 4 foot since I had last fished it) and to check on a nice little hole I had found on Google earth, seeing if it was still under water, or locked off yet.

Anyway turns out the area around the hole is still 5 foot deep, but the hole is a good 25 foot deep, so cant wait for the dam to drop another 6 foot ;).

Here are the birds also waiting for the spot to turn it on!

P1170026.jpg

The weather was lovely, occasionally a light breeze wafted through, but pretty much dead calm, and only a little hot. Young bloke was asking how long we are going to be out within 10 minutes of getting their, so I dont think my plan of turning him in to a yak fisho is going to work, but at least I spent a morning with him doing something! Total paddle distance was 4.5k, up from his last biggest trip of 2k. Most of it was at a very leisurely 2kph, but I didn't want to tire him out, so worked out well.

Anyway, here are a few more shots.

P1170019.jpg

P1170024.jpg

P1170027.jpg

P1170017.jpg

P1170028.jpg

Looks great up there, would be a lovely way to spend the morning.

I reckon if you manage to get him onto some fish, then he'll be keen to keep yakkin!

Scenery and exercise are good when you are "old" like us, but they might not cut it for the young-uns, even a keen fisho like Alex.

Maybe even trolling up catties at BigW if things are quiet at Somerset?

Not many places you can guarantee fish on any occasion, but if you can find a hot bite you will have him asking for more quality yak time (I mean Dad time!)

rocket

Awsome day for it - the pics are tops. My young fella is addicted to yak fishin but still lacks the stamina for a longer journey - I end up towing him after 2km when he takes his yak. I try to convince him he's better off on the back of mine ;) . I agree with rocket - a couple of fish and he will be hooked and maybe one day he'll appreciate the scenery too!

Keep at it Alex.

Archived