fingal head camping

jon

just wanted to know if any one had any info on camping at fingal head . i often see 4wds and boats set up for camping on the beach just opposite to the rock wall that runs down towards twin towns. are you allowed to camp here? if so is there any requirements needed to acces this are by 4 wd? any info would be great thanks

Hi Mate, Not sure about the camping there but it looks pretty freaky at night (been fishing there at Fingal look out jetty. You can see this from Twin Towns.) Its dark and by 8pm, there is usually no one around. You can access fingal by car but the pot holes on the track are like craters. Thats prob why people take forbies there.

For fishing,,,, definitely need fishing license or dem nsw dpi boys chase ya. Fishing is ok there, good variety but the current is extremely tough on the runs.

THere is a boat ramp near there but its in a small dead end street (cant remember the name but check it out on google earth or the refidex or gps. From the ramp, its a good 4k's out to fingal... Ive seen massive Trevally there but have never been able to land em. Sorry mate, all i can give advice on from experience.

Mate ive stayed at the caravan park camp spot.. wasnt too bad and was cheap as, not to mention real close to the water.

If you camp there make sure your valiables are secure when you sleep but because I left my cheap bag outside the tent one night which happened to have ipod and sunnies in it valuing over $500.

Bag wasnt there in the morning :(

Jaymz711 wrote:

If you camp there make sure your valiables are secure when you sleep but because I left my cheap bag outside the tent one night which happened to have ipod and sunnies in it valuing over $500.

A good rule for any (urban at least) camping spots! Annoying though when people think they can help themselves to your stuff :angry:

yea i have stayed there a few times and had a bit of luck at the seaway and the start of the river but havn't tried the beach yet. Great spot tho. Never had any issues with theft in the 4 times ive been there but i guess u can get unlucky anywhere. Definately a good spot tho. I agree it is very cheap and good facilities.

the campground at Fingal is the only official campground there. You can't drive on the beach but occasionally you'll see some of the locals hooning around the northern sections or on the sand flats on the Tweed river side. There's a dirt track that runs down to the mouth of the Tweed where you can fish off the rocks or walk a bit further to hit the pumping jetty (not allowed to fish off it). You can also fish the beach there which can be good at times or the rocks at Fingal head itself. There is a boat ramp with a kiosk only a few hundred meters from the campground, if you don't have a boat there's a hire place on the southern side of the Boyds Bay bridge on the Tweed (20min drive maybe from the campground). There is nothing there that you need a 4wd for.

Archived