I am a bad person.

tomca

The problem is the bike ways are more dangerous than the roads in places. I recently rode the bike path from Mt Ommaney to Mt Coot-tha. Next time I will take the road. The bike path has that many tight twists and turns and blind corners, combined with bikes travelling anywhere from 10km/h to 60 km/h, I'm amazed theres not massive prangs everyday along it. At least on the road you generally have a better view through corners and less chance of someone coming the other way straight at you.

Benno - yeah man... I'm sure most people (like I) actually don't mind and are quite mindful of bike riders on roads. Good on them for getting fit and healthy and not using a car. I think it is quite arrogant and unfair to think that they shouldn't be on the roads.

What I don't like is the attitude of bike riders. Both in their arrogance of road ownership and at times, occasional complacency for their own safety.

I don't give a sh*t about my car if I hit you. My car and I will be fine, the problem is you will not be. Whether it be my fault or your fault, you will lose. I just don't wanna be part of maiming someone. I just can't stand it when bike riders do stupid moves through traffic and don't obey rules. If you wanna ride the road, rules apply to you too. Don't be dumb and push the safety boundaries. If motorbike riders have a general attitude knowing that they are more likely to be hit and thus act accordingly... why can't bike riders?

Pet hate- when I'm at pole position at a red light in a left lane that is ending... and a bloody bike rider comes from the back of traffic and then pulls in front of my car. Not to the side, in front. Dipsh*t. And then they give me dirty looks and look like they wanna take a swing at my car when I'm riding 8000rpms up their cake-hole. How angry would they be if I pulled my car right in front of them and then went at a walking pace?? seriously.

Just be smart about how you ride. You can think all you want that you own the road and have equal rights.... but you'll still come 2nd best when you get hit. You can yell equal rights all you want but you'll still be in the ambo... or even worse.

whats with the cyclists who dont adhere to the road rules and take up half of the lane, but expect every motorist to make way for them? If you hit a cyclist it's something that would be with you forever and I have had a few close calls with them but its been unavoidable, putting myself at risk too with traffic next to me. They should have a seperate lane.

Aaaaagh the old Us vs the Cyclists debate!!!

Reading this post just makes me shake my head in disbelief how ignorant and plain stupid some of the comments are.

To stereo type all cyclist as stupid for riding on a public road, being arrogant, law breaking fckwits actually applies to the whole motoring population!! Driving down to Iluka during the holidays the things that people were doing that were down right stupid it was amazing.

I am not one of those lycra wearing, shaved leg racing cyclists who are probably responsible for the agro comments that have been posted here but I choose to cycle to work three days a week and I am reminded on a daily basis on how arrogant, law breaking fckwits that most of the motoring public are. It’s the attitude that they are the "owner" of the patch of road that they are driving on and don't anyone else come near me and get the fck out the way.

It this attitude that kills fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers and kids….fact!!!

Sorry Feral but you throwing some that article into the debate doesn't wash with me, I am sure I could find a dozen articles that contradict these statistics and more to the point the question that comes to mind, "why are most of the statistics (cyclists) between the ages of 30-45? Probably because they have a serious middle aged spread aka fat gutt and have decided to do something about it!! The rest of the overweight Australian population should wake up and get on a bike a few days a week. Your statement about cyclist choosing to cycle in peak times doesn't wash either, what if someone doesn't have a choice? Loss of licence, not wanting to be a fat fck, thinking of the environment, saving money, the pro's for choosing to cycle far outweigh the negatives.

It comes down to attitude towards your fellow countryman. Likening this debate to the fishing world you could draw comparisons to the yak fisho's that nearly got eaten by that 5m great white at Longy Reef a few months back. You could say……how funny! You could say that people are fckwits for fishing out of a yak, you wouldn't laugh if it was your family member or close friend that got eaten and more to the point the pro fisho's that wouldn't help them get out of the water and asked for money to ferry them back to shore for money?? WTF!? Who is the fckwit now!

The question of should cyclist have to be a registered vehicle? No fckin way should they have to, I pay rego for my car, my trailer, my boat, my box trailer and my motorbike…..if I choose to peddle and leave the car at home instead of spewing carbons into the environment , I should be rewarded…how about a tax break Ruddy!? By cycling most places my chances of getting heart decease, diabetes etc and taking leave and putting pressure on the economy diminishes drastically.

I had the privilege of meeting a guy called Luke Harrop a brilliant young man and one of Australia's up and coming star's in the sport of Triathlon. Luke was killed whilst doing something that he loved…he was mowed down whilst riding a bicycle by himself by a woman that was off her face on Meth, the car was stolen and unregister. More to the point where is the justice for his family…. Read this: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20696406-953,00.html

Just stop to think that that person on the bicycle might have kids, they have a mother, father and family…..the 5 seconds it takes to slow down and give them some room is not going to kill you is it?

I think Benno's comment summs it up nicley!

dostylz, laughing at a dickhead is fine. I did when a guy doing circles on my street found a pothole and blew his diff to bits. The assumption is being made by many in this thread that all cyclist are dickheads. They aren't. I'm a dickhead for different reasons, granted, and many on afo would agree. Sure the ones that are dickheads are indeed dickheads but the majority are not. If I'm riding along minding my own business the last thing I want is to be hassled by a car driver purely because he hates bike riders in general. It's akin to saying I hate all people of a certain racial/religious/sexual orientation just because there are some in the category I don't like. If someone is a dickhead, sure, take the piss, however, a serious injury regardless of how it happens is not a laughing matter. Yoyo shaving his legs is funny though...

I don't think most people here actually have a problem with people riding bikes on the streets. In fact I think most people are quite supportive of the activity.

No one is condoning stupid acts towards cyclists here.

Going to your yak fisherman example about the sharks. You do have a bit of a laugh because it was a close call, no one was injured. But if they chose to put themselves in the position of risk to be offshore fishing in a kayak and get a close encounter with a shark... that's their own fault. Did you know that some of those same guys went back out a week or 2 later to the exact same spot?? So if they got bitten the 2nd time around... wouldn't you question their logic in re-tempting fate by going out and doing the same thing again??

No one wants to hurt them, no one wants to run them over. I just want them to take some responsibility for their own actions and the risk that they take by riding on the roads. But it is exactly as everyone has pointed out here... there are whack job drivers out there that are just insane and inconsiderate... but thats the point. You know that there are those types of drivers, you know that you are at risk riding your bike with these nutjobs on the roads.... your choice to continue.

I used to have to ride my motorbike past a group of riders on one of my regular weekend routes. They were always for or five wide taking up the only lane in that direction and there was a double line dividing the road. It always amused how cranky they got when I would ride past them in the bicycle lane, I was going slow enough to here most of the insults yelled at me. A couple of times I rode through the middle of the pack when there was room, they didn't appreciate that either. :P

Its a shame that a few cyclists have managed to put most of the community offside with there illegal and arrogant antics. The other 99% are in danger because of them. Cagers (car drivers) also leave a lot to be desired when it comes to courtesy as well.

i dont mind the majority of cyclists and dont mind going slow for 5 seconds but i really dont like when the packs of 15-20 get in a group spread over a lane or two in reasonable traffic making it very hard for me to change lanes safely with a boat in tow, so my option is to drive at snails pace for the rest of the long road or pray someone kind person will let me in to the next lane :P

dont agree with generalising though you cant have a predetermined attitude about someone just because they're on a bike, sure the ones that flaunt the rules and do stupid things are annoying but there are plenty of them driving cars bikes and pedestrianising too

my attitude toward pretty much everything is any case should be judged on its merits and i have to say the original scenario is pretty funny as bike paths are there for a reason and should be used where practical imo

batman wrote:

If someone is a dickhead, sure, take the piss, however, a serious injury regardless of how it happens is not a laughing matter. Yoyo shaving his legs is funny though...

Mate, I think the point that started this thread is that it wasn't a serious injury or death.

No one was laughing at a serious injury.

I think the original perspective of the thread was lost very early on!

Whiskers wrote:

Went to redcliffe for a swim on sunday and on anzac ave there is a good metre and a half of road between the curb and white line, So where was this knob riding? On the road side of the line! You have got to be kidding me! If cyclists want rights on the road they can pay the bloody ridiculus regos motorist have to pay!

I hate cyclists like rude hates cats!

Oh wait I can feel somthing coming...

Oh here it comes.

I hate cyclists, I want to hit them turn them into picklets.

I hate cyclists, There tights are gay, There always in my way!

I hate cyclists, They think there green, When I catch one I'll puch him in the spleen.

I hate cyclists, Ohhhh you get the idea.....

looks like batman has copped the blame for something I said, sorry mate!

And just to clarify my response was not necessarily to do with the original story (where I had already admitted and agreed the guy might not have been the most sensible), more some of the comments made about cyclists in general.... See prime example of the attitude we regularly cop above.... What's next? I have German ancestory... Does that make me a Nazi by default?

benno573 wrote:

Whiskers wrote:
Went to redcliffe for a swim on sunday and on anzac ave there is a good metre and a half of road between the curb and white line, So where was this knob riding? On the road side of the line! You have got to be kidding me! If cyclists want rights on the road they can pay the bloody ridiculus regos motorist have to pay!

I hate cyclists like rude hates cats!

Oh wait I can feel somthing coming...

Oh here it comes.

I hate cyclists, I want to hit them turn them into picklets.

I hate cyclists, There tights are gay, There always in my way!

I hate cyclists, They think there green, When I catch one I'll puch him in the spleen.

I hate cyclists, Ohhhh you get the idea.....

looks like batman has copped the blame for something I said, sorry mate!

And just to clarify my response was not necessarily to do with the original story (where I had already admitted and agreed the guy might not have been the most sensible), more some of the comments made about cyclists in general.... See prime example of the attitude we regularly cop above.... What's next? I have German ancestory... Does that make me a Nazi by default?

Come on mate it was just a laugh everyone is getting way to serious.

I thought this was in the humor category?

Holy sh!tstorm! :laugh: :cheer:

About 5 people find the irony amusing, and the rest are off on their own little tangent. :dry:

Another example to put it in perspective; on my kayak I theoretically have right of way on the water over motor boats and stuff. Maybe that big ass containership bearing down on me out from Caloundra can p!ss off 'coz I can be there and have right of way? Yeah, at my own peril. Maybe I'll just try and keep out of its path as best as practical.

Common sense is the tone of my original post. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

i know this is off the subject but for the members on here to clarify this so no one gets the wrong idea you do not have right of way over ships as they are restricted by draft and their ability to monuvere even sailing vessels must give way to ships be carefull not to interfere with any comercial vessel preforming their duties as you will be in the wrongtomca wrote:

Holy sh!tstorm! :laugh: :cheer:

About 5 people find the irony amusing, and the rest are off on their own little tangent. :dry:

Another example to put it in perspective; on my kayak I theoretically have right of way on the water over motor boats and stuff. Maybe that big ass containership bearing down on me out from Caloundra can p!ss off 'coz I can be there and have right of way? Yeah, at my own peril. Maybe I'll just try and keep out of its path as best as practical.

Common sense is the tone of my original post. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Archived