Big Tuna picture

Do$tylz

Fisingnut - nah looks legit.. I've got the bigger version of the pic if you want me to email it to ya...

Nadders... just looks funny on the resize. They've got 2 gaffs under the tail lifting it out of the water.

Dassa - thanks for the confirm... yeah its bloody massive

shortie wrote:

i love it when somone gets a biggun and all the expert doubters come out to play.

Mate with all the doctored pics that get around on the net, I take most "exceptional" captures with a grain of salt, particular when you don't know when they come from. No harm in that mate B)

i heard of a blue fin fin tuna selling at the markets in japan it went for 220 thousand aussie dollars a few years ago and one just sold for 166 thousand a few of months back, but to tell the sourthern blue fin from the northern blue fin is very hard in most cases when we were out catching them the only way we could tell was by dna,so if we got one of any size we got the fish tested for around 500-00 dollars,there is a big price gap between the two.brad

werewolf wrote:

shortie wrote:
i love it when somone gets a biggun and all the expert doubters come out to play.

Mate with all the doctored pics that get around on the net, I take most "exceptional" captures with a grain of salt, particular when you don't know when they come from. No harm in that mate B)

:laugh: :laugh: it used to be "got a photo" :P

soon it will be "got three independant witnesses and a certified statutory declaration and a photo" :laugh: :laugh: :unsure:

great fish,thats what your longliners chase,frame the photo they may not be around for much longer

shortie wrote:

No expert shortie very far from it ! :laugh: just looked a bit odd in the picture like nadders said but the blown up pic shows a rope around the tail wrist so it looks a bit squashed,like i said no expert at all but i thought tuna had a bit bigger pectoral fins?

any way its a fuggin massive fish kudos to the persons who caught it

efc wrote:

american fish for sure
hell no , new zealand they get them that size all the time. i have seen that bloke that catches them from a small stabi craft using a hand line . awesome fish!!! :laugh: not sure if they get them that big off cairns but they do new zealand!

Do$tylz wrote:

Just got this sent to me at work... apparently caught off Cairns... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Is it a big Blue Fin?? tuna_7_5_09_083_AFO.jpg

the guy in the light blue shirt looks like the new zealand fella that catches them! any one else seen the dvd catching tuna that size by handline , lol rope!

It is either Thunnus thynnus the Giant Atlantic bluefin tuna also known as the Northern bluefin tuna found through the entire north Atlantic ocean or.

Thunnus orientalis the Giant Pacific bluefin tuna wide spread through the Pacific. The references I used Fishbase, Scirus and variuos papers states that only 4 fish have been recorded from Australian waters 3 of West australia 1 from the east coast the gulf of papua. Very difficult to tell the two apart without disection some dfferences in the vertabrae.

My money would be on T. thynnus. If it was actually caught off cairns it would be T. orientalis which seems unlikely.

Steve.

Bit of confusion here on tuna species.

Thunnus orientalis are a northern hemisphere fish so it would be pretty unlikely to find them off cairns.

Northern buefin in Australia generally refers to Thunnus tonggol (otherwise known as longtail tuna) which this fish clearly is not as it is way too big.

The only possibility if it was caught off cairns (I doub it! Imean who thge fvck wheres sunvisors in Australia? :laugh: ) is Thunnus maccoyi (Southern bluefin). But once again off cairns is way too far north for them.

The only tuna off cairns with that size are yellowfin which this fish clearly is not as at that size it would have big sickle pectoral fins.

dhess wrote:

Bit of confusion here on tuna species.

Thunnus orientalis are a northern hemisphere fish so it would be pretty unlikely to find them off cairns.

Northern buefin in Australia generally refers to Thunnus tonggol (otherwise known as longtail tuna) which this fish clearly is not as it is way too big.

The only possibility if it was caught off cairns (I doub it! Imean who thge fvck wheres sunvisors in Australia? :laugh: ) is Thunnus maccoyi (Southern bluefin). But once again off cairns is way too far north for them.

The only tuna off cairns with that size are yellowfin which this fish clearly is not as at that size it would have big sickle pectoral fins.

Maybe it's a Shimano Thunnus :dry:

wesfish wrote:

pity you cant see the rego number lol cause the boat is leaning to much :laugh: :laugh:

Rego's... what rego's?

The rego is not on the bow, and I am tipping with 150mm letters on the stern sides they would be visible in the second shot as they have to be clearly above waterline when boat is at rest.

So I am tipping it aint a QLD boat at least...

There are several identification keys in the descriptions of Thunnus thynnus the giant atlantic tuna and Thunnus maccoyi the southern blue fin tuna. The one which is most obvious in the pic is.

T. thynnus the median caudal keel is Black in adults.

T. maccoyi the median caudal keel is Yellow in adults.

The median caudal keel is the fin like thing near the tail sticking out horizontaly.

my money is on T. thynnus.

Steve

Good one ellicat :laugh: :laugh:

I must admit I love playing fish id games there is one on my favourite fishkeeping forum which has been running for years, and another on an ichthyologica forum which is very difficult and very satisfying to solve. Some would probably tell me to get a life but hey each to his own and you cant always be fishing.

Steve.

Archived