Gold Creek spangled perch.

efficientships

My housemate Pete had a sickie today so to cheer him up a bit we went to Google Maps looking for a spot and found the Gold Creek reservoir. Hopped in the car and set the navman and 1/2 hr later we were trudging through the bush to see the dam. You are not allowed to do anything recreational on the dam itself so we tried the creek just beneath just for giggles. I threw in a popper and low and behold I had my first ever strike on a surface lure. Nothing stuck and after the third cast they had wised up to us. I tried a Jackall tn60 brown dog, again I could see three fish chase it but no strike and after three casts there was no interest. I went through my lure collection with the same results until I sort of gave up. Pete was still trying stuff. I only had one lure left to try, a little ecogear sx40 bream lure. I tied it on securely and cast it in. Wow, it hit the water as i flipped the bail, it would have barely been a second in the water and i was on. I pulled him up woo-hooing all the way. He was about 25 cm (I had no measure) in good condition. I put him back in and Pete continued to flick out the rest of his collection but alas, no fish for him. I hope Pete has a sickie on my next day off.

Tight lines, Matt.

elops wrote:

Gold Creek resovoir is a waste of water IMO like many of our impoundments with no access.

Steve.

The new Seq water recreation policy may change alot of ths ! Areas like Gold Creek and Enoggera are being looked at for access to fishing, mainly via boats so who knows, its being looked at as we speak! Hopefully for the best, what dams and weirs really need is supportive community groups and fisherman working with Seqwater to reduce the issues- rubbish, access etc, the more this happens the possibilites are endless.

Like a lot of people who are involved with community groups in my case a stocking group, I am keenly awaiting the Seq water rec. policy, there are so many Seq water impoundments with no public access. It would be great to see impoundments like Gold creek, Enoggera, Lake Manchester, Leslie Harrison ect. stocked and with public access for fishing.

yeh its those who use and abuse the system with the policies in place that create problems for others, the new policy hopefully will allow recreation into some of these areas under terms and conditions and also give clubs and groups the chance to manage and maintain these small catchments, unfortunately some people dont obey signage and conditions at present on gold creek, lake manchester and enoggera and this will impact on the decision of these areas. i grew up on enoggera under the city council control and its a great spot, not alot of fish caught but its a beautiful spot which has been controlled well under the council and seqwater and epa now work together on management, its a shame you cannot get access to this because others have used and abused the system.

elops wrote:

Like a lot of people who are involved with community groups in my case a stocking group, I am keenly awaiting the Seq water rec. policy, there are so many Seq water impoundments with no public access. It would be great to see impoundments like Gold creek, Enoggera, Lake Manchester, Leslie Harrison ect. stocked and with public access for fishing.

With ya on that one there elops. Enoggera in particular. Went in there when i was a kid, poked around for an hour or so and then the ranger guy chased us out. Always wanted to get up there again but now I'd probably get a fine and what would I say to my kids then!!! ;)

lake manchester would be the gem in the crown, purely as it's fed by cold tributaries and has a much lower average water temperature than other impoundments. There was a rumour going round that some sneaky b@#$!@D stocked it with trout. At the moment all you'd be able to catch is goldfish in there, and lots of turtles and eels.

Archived