Fisho Scum Rant

MoparKevUk

Hello Chaps! I've been back to Old Blighty for 2 weeks, did ya miss me?? :unsure:

Landed yesterday in Bris at 8am, out to Tinny Creek 1.30pm. Decks were full so went up the creek abit and got a small Bream and a decent Whiting. Went back to the decks as one was more or less free. There was a family fishing off the big deck and their little girl (9ish?) was fishing off the little deck with me. She gets a small Bream and is all excited, I was gonna offer to take it off for her and put it back but she was so excited I thought it would be great for her to show her mum, dad and grandpa. Off she trots to the other deck to show them. Not a glimmer of interest.....The fish is flopping about and this little girl is trying to de hook it. Eventually the grandpa dehooks it and leaves it flopping about somemore, so the mum comes over and kicks it back in the water where it floats, dead, up the creek.......They had a big bucket on the filleting table, so my guess is there were some fsih in there and judging by their attitudes I bet me last Dollar they weren't all legal....Totally spoilt me day's fishing,

Rant over, I was gonna let it go but it's been annoying me ever since.

Thanks for listening, despite this first trip for over 2 weeks being spoiled I am stoked to be back home in Sunny Oz! :fishing: :ta: :aussie:

Yea pretty crappy really and it doesnt really matter what race or breed they are. That fish could have been the trophy fish in years to come, but not no more.

But I guess what hope do we have, when even those who profess good fishing practices and are members of here cant even follow simple rules and go on to boast about it?

Yep not the practices any of us like to see,

the really sad thing is.. there were 3 generations of one family fishing together and the 2 older generations were passing their values down to the newer generation.

So who do you frown upon the most the eldest generation,the middle generation or the youngest generation who at that age gets their values from the family.

, if they continue the family tradition

yeah i get like that too when i see people mistreating the fish. a month ago i saw a family with a full 20litre bucket of 8-12cm or so yellowfin bream which they left in the bucket to ensure their death. they then proceeded to clap and encourage their 3-4yr old daughter throwing each dead bream back into the water individually. i wanted to punch her dad in the face. if there werent 7 of the adult rednecks i would have given the punching more thought lol

... sad to hear but it happens all over ... there is just no respect for anything anymore ... I actually get the sh*ts when I see things like this, unfortunately nothing ever gets done about it and the majority of us have to bare the brunt of criticism towards these louts ... the only reason pricks like this are allowed to live is because it's illegal to shoot them ...

dunno if it was deliberate or not but that term you used is a bit derogatory kev.....

it is shameful to see that kind of behaviour though......they don't do much to help the stereotypes that good people hate so much. and i'm sure if you caught them in a philosophical moment they would tell you the importance of the land etc.......kind of a mixed message really.......

Just another example to show that its not limited to one group of folk. Out at the lease yesterday and appraoched by 2 males asking about how they can get their car in to fish for the day. 'Sure no worries, its a membership arrangement and costs a few bucks'. Their answer was 'mmmmmm, oohh ok thanks' and wandered off. Next thing all 7 of them are waalking in on foot with rods, reels, tents, stoves, food, and everything else they could carry.

Started to drag some wood together we had around the place for members, half filled a bin we have there for members, went down and cast out lines, pots and nets to catch things that SIP holders have paid for (not that its anything to do with us) and the following conversation results.

'Hello again, so who is a member here'

Hand gets raised

'Ohh ok, do you have your key to see'

'I never got a key'

'Well that means you are not a financial member, do you have you SIP with you'

'Yes'

'Where are they?'

'Ohh, we can pay for them now'

'I think you need to leave...NOW'

Why should some people pay, and others think they can just take it for free?

• 2 months later...

Same folks as I mentioned above have been back a few times recently now the water has risen and are fishing from the bridges there. Not happy with 2.4m loads whizzing across a 2.8m wide bridge they moved on a little to Branch Creek where they were proudly cast netting for bass or anything else hanging around the banks there!!!

That always pisses me off and i can never help but say something when i see people wasting good fish for no reason.

for what it's worth i fish for the sport, i catch & release, even legal fish because i want them here in the bay in future for my kids and your kids to enjoy the thrill of hooking up on.

these people are scum simply because they're scum, there are no birthrights, just the law.

Old Scaley wrote:

Well said, mate. I am often disappointed at the racist undertones that creep into some of the posts on the site.

I hope you mean "occasionally" rather than "often", Steve.

Mod Note to all:

Please hit the "Report to moderator" button on the bottom right of the text box if you find anything offensive about a thread or a single post. We are here to keep the site attractive for all members, however we don't always read every word in every thread so may not notice some small infraction typed in the middle somewhere.

Sometimes a mod may be logged on but not actually active, so hitting the "Rtm" button will alert all mods by email.

Sometime's by giving people a tap on the shoulder and letting them now there doing the wrong thing most are quick to fix the error of there way.I seen a bloke up at somerset when we were there as group with a cast net and I just let him know that if fisheries cought him he would not only loose the net but the car,boat and everything else along with a court date.He was unaware of the rules for the fresh water and impoundments but there are others that will tell you to get faraway,so them I just pull out my phone and call fisheries to easy.

i agree totally on principle with everything that's been said here but want to caution people about approaching others with well-intentioned advice. Fish stocks will recover with time and care but a fishing knife in the belly is a lot harder to remedy. please remember personal safety. I believe that like trevally or tuna these types of people come in all shapes and sizes but one thing they share is stupidity.

Archived