pro fisheman

THAKEENESTFLATHEADANGLER

i want a career in fishing but i dont want to trawl with nets i want to linefsh for a living now i know u can be a charterman or a line fishing trawler but i want to be a pro fisheman like starlo or bushy but how would i do that ... would i hav to ge sponsered by a company first e.g berkely, enter lot of comps or be in a magazine how do i do it :(

THAKEENESTFLATHEADANGLER wrote:

i want a career in fishing but i dont want to trawl with nets i want to linefsh for a living now i know u can be a charterman or a line fishing trawler but i want to be a pro fisheman like starlo or bushy but how would i do that ... would i hav to ge sponsered by a company first e.g berkely, enter lot of comps or be in a magazine how do i do it :(

You need to make your name well known - get your name published as much as possible, catch lots of fish, win comps etc. A Pro fisherman is simply someone who is paid to fish - usually by their sponsors, and sponsors are only interested if their name will be seen by other anglers.

Good luck and remember us all when your sponsors are giving you freebie's!! :P

start fishing ABT, KFT, Pirtek Challenge, any comp thats going, and win every time. On your casual trips and comps take lots of hi-res pics and write great informative articles and send them to all the magazines. Do your homework and find out the size/format/type of article these publications want. And many years time, you might make a few $$$ out of it.

You also need to make sure your pics of big fish you have caught have have the latest most expensive lures in their gobs, latest most expensive rods and reel in the back ground of the photo's. These are the blokes your trying to attract interest from. its their gear they want promoted.

Feral wrote:

You also need to make sure your pics of big fish you have caught have have the latest most expensive lures in their gobs, latest most expensive rods and reel in the back ground of the photo's. These are the blokes your trying to attract interest from. its their gear they want promoted.

And most importantly, make sure they are your own catches!!

(Its not about you Feral, just piggybacking on your post)

I had ambitions of this when I finished school (I presume you still are) but quickly relised that it wasn't as easy as having some lucky weekends on the water. I would suggest take on board what the guys have said about comps, reports and articles to magazines and self promoting tackle in photos etc, and while doing all this or before, do an apprenticeship so you have a trade to fall back onto, just my 2cents worth.

you have to remember that these guys all spent 30 years writing articles part time while they worked normal jobs untill they made a big enough name for themselves to earn a living at it

starlo was a school teacher,harro was a cop ,schultzy still works for coca-cola i think.

my advice would be get a job in a tackle shop,learn your product.

enter every fishing competition you can and finish top ten every time. buy a decent dslr camera and do a photography course and a journalism/short story writing course.

start submitting articles to the various magazines.

i want a career in fishing but i dont want to trawl with nets i want to linefsh for a living

Mate you have to understand most of the guys at the top of the game all still have jobs the comps over here are nothing like the US we dont get really big dollers for comp wins you really need a job just to get the gear and entrys you need to start fishing these comps apart from that ABT is really the only way you will get noticed so go start practising your going to need it these only 10,000 other guys out there trying to do the same thing

I don't want to spoil my hobbie by turning it into a job. May I suggest a side line or associated job like water police, DPI, ferry captian, sailing school, dredging, wind surfing instructer, park ranger. Something like that so when you get time off you can go fishing for fun.

First thing would be to get some qualifications in journalism and learn how to express yourself correctly.If you cannot do that it is all a waste of time no matter how good a angler you are.You will also have to develop public speaking skills to go with your writing.

Good luck it will be a long hard road with very few rewards for a long time.

Cheers

Ray

Wow that photo is afo suicide.

I'll pretend for a second that it was an honest mistake but mate if you want what your saying knowing the laws and regulations is like learning to use crayons in kindy.

As feral said don't let people get you down as harsh critacisim is the best motivation.

But I have to be perfectly honest in saying I don't think you have the first idea and that has pretty much been made obvious by starting this thread.

Man I'm gunna sound old by saying this but what ever happened to inetiative? I swear kids want it handed to them on a plate.

Take that photo down and learn your theory before your practical.

Cam

mate everyone in the comp scene still has a day job of some sort.

but if theres a place to do it ABT comps would be it.

start writing, and writing well. submit articles to magazines

and take bloody good photographs

OR,

you could just get a job in a fishing shop and get paid to go fishing every now and then :P

Archived