Catching more than crabs

Bud

Went to Eprapah Ck about three weeks ago. Planned the day with my mate dave who tiles with me. We finished work early and off we went to get bait etc. I went to the local tackle shop to get mullet pilchards etc and dave went to kfc to get his favourite crab pot bait...KFC. We met at the spot..Piled all of our pots rods food etc into our wheelbarrows and walked to the spot (about 300 mtrs) Set the traps.. and sat down to do some fishing. About 2 hours later we both had a crab each and returned about 10 to the water (undersized and jennies) We returned to fish.. I went over to the other side of the creek as there was some structure that looked good. First cast before I had a chance to get the bail arm over I was taken into the rocks and snapped off. I re-rigged and tried again, same thing happened. I re- rigged this time using 40lb line but no matter what I tried this thing/things were nailing me before I could do anything about it. Anyway after 8 or so re-rigs and at least 1000 mozzie bites I went over and joined dave. I put a whole prawn on and set my line. Before I knew it my reel was screaming and I was losing more line than I could afford as the mangroves on the other side were only 50 metres away. After a good five minutes of losing line gaining line losing gaining I got a roughly 2 metre pike eel onto the mud bank. We talked about how to get the hook from it's mouth but there was no way I was getting too close. anyway luckily it spat the hook took a strike at us for good measure and then retreated to the water. What a thrill my little sedona 2500 and 3-5 kg rod had been tested to it's limits. I was happy and after unsuccessfully fishing for a couple more hours and both getting 2 good muddies each we called it a night. What was the tally that night

4 muddies

1 eel

1 cod

And about a week and a half ago I was diagnosed with ross river fever from those thousand mozzies I told you about. But hey it was all worth it for those five minutes of reel screaming action...I love it

I have caught a couple of nice Jacks out of that creek. The structure was about 3 big rocks sticking out of the middle of the creek and some obvious smaller ones around it, covering about 10 square metres in total, I pulled the one cod out of there, so my guess that what was snapping me off was either jacks or cod.

Archived