we're goin to bonnie doone

noname

just got back from bonnie doone, and ended up with an esky full again, but you gotta really work for them now, and i beleive there is something going on up at the dam, as a few reddies were already dead when pots were checked as were a lot of fish in the 6-8 inch long sizes, hmmmm the water was quite warm but cool down deeper, so beats me, have noticed a few things out of the blue around the place of late, also if you read this trav, they were at the same spot, where we got the dead 1's on the weekend! suss ay? the pots were not in long enough to have them die on us i would have thought? 2.5 hrs!!!

noname wrote:

just got back from bonnie doone, and ended up with an esky full again, but you gotta really work for them now, and i beleive there is something going on up at the dam, as a few reddies were already dead when pots were checked as were a lot of fish in the 6-8 inch long sizes, hmmmm the water was quite warm but cool down deeper, so beats me, have noticed a few things out of the blue around the place of late, also if you read this trav, they were at the same spot, where we got the dead 1's on the weekend! suss ay? the pots were not in long enough to have them die on us i would have thought? 2.5 hrs!!!

thats suss, rekkon someones dumped something there.... or in the paddock... tho its localised to about a 30 meter radius.... did malcom find ya? he rang tyesday driving round like a mad man looking for you

Travis wrote:

noname wrote:

thats suss, rekkon someones dumped something there.... or in the paddock... tho its localised to about a 30 meter radius.... did malcom find ya? he rang tyesday driving round like a mad man looking for you

nah trav he didn't, he called today though, might have to go under the name of AFO in future, makes it easy if some of this mob do come up for the night, day whatever!

fishingnut wrote:

why would they die?
to be honest i have no bloody clue as to why they are! it seems to be in this area alone though, and pots are not left in for that long, but it is very weird, and without givin away the secrets, they are in the same spots as all the other pots. personally i think it might relate to stress of the animals, but the other day, the whole lot in this particular area were dead, so that counts that out, water temp crossed my mind too, but because of the time pots were sunk, that counts that out too, as they are pretty hardy creatures, i have thought of baratrauma too. but i just don;t know, might smack up the govt for a grant and do some more research into this! :P

think of 4 pots in a line over 60 meters... one of the middle pots twice now (the same spot) has had dead ones... not a depth issue or temp issue as theyd be too dead to get into the pot... or wouldnt be there in the first place, my guess is theres something been dumped there? maybe a battery or something similar that would depleat the oxygen in the localised area.... once their in the pot they cant get to oxygenated water

fishingnut, you right! and need plenty of them too :lol:

flathead, i am talking somerset dam mate.

i dunno trav it's just so weird, with that many boats on the dam this weekend, oxygenated water is not the issue, and noticed a lot of foam around the place too today, and found a float on the bank too today, yeah 1 of mine! hmmm. might have to have a chat with ray about this?

hmmmm.

when we where up there beginning of January ,we got dead ones too.

not a lot ,just one or 2 in a pot here and there.

sometime after over night ,sometime after 1/2 a day .

random .

kids found a 3 dead fish floating around the spit over the week too.

small bass ,spangled perch and a ell tail catty.

Archived