Not taking an esky fishing ever again!- threadie!

kriso

so after watching crappy tv, hanging up 2 pictures to make the study more "manlandish" sat down and thought theres only so much xbox i can play in one day, so might go a quick fish though i do prefer company in these situations might chuck a notice on here and see who's keen, with in a couple of minuits its decided me and tomca and going to fig tree pocket in search of sharks. so got some gear packed pretty quickly and chucked the new cast net i got a little while ago to see how she handles then thought am i forgeting anything? then the mrs says "are you taking a esky?" i reply " nah just chasing bullies and dont feel like taking one home if i manage one, and i probably wont catch anyting anyway" i hate dragging my esky along and taking it home empty time after time lol.

So where off and running to meet tomca, once i got there after a wrong turn (been awhile since i have been down there) i find tomca has 2 lines out and ready to start cast netting for some bait. i have to say although a little heavy i was impressed with my new net considering i havent done anything they recommend to do before using it (soaking it and hanging it etc) well many a throw had been made for a couple of shrimp and a few prawns, things where pretty bad on the livie side of things but thats life, play the cards your dealt. I sent a shrimp out in hope for a cattie to use for toothy bait, rested my rod against the chair and proceeded to drink beer and chat with Mal who popped down for a quick look, chatting away then the ratchet on the corvalus makes a quick squeal so put the stuby down and picked the rod up, turned the ratchet off as its just plain annoying when winding in and tightend up the drag ( if i dont have a rod holder i let the drag right off so my gear doesnt go scooting into the water when i fish hits) and i call i reckon cattie as i feel i light struggle and a deadish weight. then thump thump thump and line is peeling away WHOA maybe not a cattie and mal and tomca announce they reckon its a threadie!

Having not caught one of these fish i remained calm as i didnt want to loose it if it was one, after some line going back and forwards some colour shows! my first threadie!!! trying to keep a cool head i tried not over power the fish incase the hook pulled and with expert net skills from tomca i had my first threadie!!!! not a huge specimen but a first anyway that im glad to say i have caught one, he measured 63cm to the fork of the tail 70 something to the tip of the tail.

it was hooked right down the throat but tomca made short work of popping the hook out with the hook remover he had and a couple of pics where takin before it was quickly despatched to threadie heaven so i can try one and see just how good they are.

After that we threw the net again for a bit getting a couple more prawns but fishing side of things was pretty quite besides tomca hooking up to a shark wich went straight for the air and busted him off as it hit the line with no wire that was intended for a cattie so we decided to pack up @ 8pm

Thanks to tomca and mal for helping me land my first threadie, i now know if i plan on catching nothing and leave the esky at home i just may land a decent fish!!!! lol

Pics to come once they are sent to me.

cheers for reading my long dribble about one fish but was pretty excited being my first threadie report! :laugh: threadie-20100126.jpg

Nice work on the threadie! was just asking Tomca for advice on these earlier today! Looks like you were in good hands. I was fishing the river late tonight there were alot of big things breeching in the moonlight (definately not catties). But all I managed to get with pilchards was a large cattie.

werewolf wrote:

Tomca: what do you mean by your "fishing way too deep" comment?

He cast his bait out with a massive sinker past the drop off into about 9m of water. Thats catfish territory there. The threadies are usually browsing the shallower water for prawns.

bloody ripper kriso, i see you figured out mine and mick fillets secret of , if you dont take an esky you will catch more and bigger things then you have caught before lol just take a rain coat to wrap the fish up in with ice from the drinks bucket!

congrats on the thready mate! top fish! and good read :woohoo:

taib wrote:

Hey Kriso,

from the boat ramp looking out to the river, did you cast it on the right side of the ramp or the left or straight? I think the right side of the ramp is deeper.

i think i just cast straight out standing on the right side of the ramp

Archived