New PB and a hell of a 2 days...

chris_stewart14

Still reeling from the capture of my GH I head out to one of the marina's last night to unwind while my mrs was at uni... I have been having some good sucess lately casting lightly weighted plastics among the boat hulls for Bream and found a nice little honey hole which seems to hold thumpers! 30 being the smallest and 38 being the biggest.. Plenty of bycatch of Trevs and small cod also.. I had encountered acouple of bust off's on the 3lb silly string and 8lb leader which I suspected for slightly larger cod or small Jacks with some rocky country near by so I upped it to 8 & 12 and didn't seem to bother the Bream at all..

Around an hour in I dropped a Gladiator Prawn hard up against a hull and initially just felt weight like I was snagged... Gave it a quick tug and then boom this fish is off... Straight away I knew this fish was Red... My tough drag setting for dominating the Bream out of the structure was getting absolutely owned.. It sounds like a lie but I spent the next fifteen minutes solid swerving the fish around pilons, jetties and boats... Bricked once, So I waded out (phone in pocket :( ) and coaxed him out... Finally battled him away from structure and managed to make some head way... Finally got a HUGE flash of red and my heart began to race... Finally to the jetty and a new PB of 58cm of Jack.

Devastatingly the fish had inhaled the plastic so far that I could not even see it. I clipped it off as close to the lure as possible and sat with him in the water for 10 minutes trying to revive him but he just wouldn't kick. I was absolutely shattered and drove home with him sombre as ... If I could have lost the fish and had it lived I would have in a second so was pretty upset to have not released it as it was only the second fish ever I have been unable to release over it dieing during the fight. The other being a 40cm Flathead

It cant be helped though so I made sure I did the right thing - took it home, gutted and scaled it... Stuffed it with garlic, tomatoes, basil and olive oil and butter - baked it and ate it.. Am having it for lunch again today and I must admit it was delicious but something I never want to taste again unless it's from a fish market.

What a killer Australia Day! One I wont soon forget.

Chris Jack_Me.jpg

Im not quite sure myself... Would love to get a large GT - but most of the prize captures you can get landbased in the canals I've now gotten and will be super hard to upsize the PB's :) As always though - completely happy to just be catching fish whatever size or species.

That and definately getting out into the Hinterland with the canoe and hunting down a Wild Bass.

Forgot to mention that my $100 Sedona which I have had since I started lure fishing nearly two years ago sadly died with this capture... The reel had to get submerged twice during the fight and has now completely jammed and the side plate bent and snapped off (somehow I dont know)... It's probably about time I got more "enthusiast" anyway but at least he died doing something he loved and went out on a great note. I'll miss him - as alot of cool firsts and PB's were set with this little bloke... Might even get him turned into a neck chain and wear it like Flaya Flav :laugh:

RIP little guy...

Fantastic land based double mate, a bit jealous I have had 6 jack donuts in a row and the one trip chasing herrings nadders somehow pulled a jewie out of a school of herrings and I couldnt get a bite. Pity about the jack but it happens. Waiting too see what you get for the hat trick.

kriso wrote:

hahah yeah the sedonna for a cheap reel certainly can cop a flogging before they die, so whats next reel wise sahara , sol or something a bit more blingy

Thinking of converting to Daiwa.. I have the Advantage in the baitcaster and despite Daiwa's shotty paint work the performance of the reel is great.. I hear the Advantage spinners dont have the same paint problem and I can get one for $200 landed it seems, plus have heard good reports... $300 is my budget however.. Want something that can take a knock or two and has a spare spool is a big preference so the one reel can be switched between light and medium spinning.

Any suggestions are very welcome..

around that size cowfish, 60 61 62 is getting toward the end of their estuarine life so ive been told

steve we'll head back soon i saw lots of em last time just need to fine tune my technique and lure choice. area they were in was completely different depth and structure wise to where they were when we had a crack i wasnt sure what to do :D

great fish Chris...who needs a boat to catch Jacks!

the weather last night certainly was conducive to catching Jacks - lets hope it holds for a couple more days

too bad you couldn't revive him, but sounds like you gave it 110%. I guess that is a downside to fishing sp's - fish rarely inhale a hardbody as deep as a softy.

Marty

Archived