Alive Vs Dead - Hunt for THREADIE

taib

Hi guys,

i am chasing for my first ever threadie. I know live prawns work a beaut but i dont have a cast net yet. Instead, i have opted to use frozen prawns. Has anyone caught a threadie off frozen prawns? tried a few times weighted and unweighted by no fish.

Secondly, i usually feed the hook through the prawns body from tail and with the sharp tip of the hook coming out just before the head, bit like a lure... only problem is, this method seems to make the prawn fly off the hook when i cast it.... Any other methods on baiting up a prawn on a hook so its more secure?

Anything is possible dude but I personally haven't heard of anyone catching Threddies on frozen (servo) prawns... I would suggest you take $10 to coles or woolies and get some of those big a$$ frozen Banana Prawns.. Live prawns turn into dead prawns within minuites for me anyway so as always fresh is best! I also hear certain oily fish flesh is good for them.. Either way, bypass the servo and head to a seafood co op! If your targetting threddies without a cast net I would use big circle hooks and just pin it sideways right through the tough shell on the back and let it waft round on the bottom - even try putting two on together side by side -- no need to thread it on... A threddie is only going to take it whole or not at all anyway. Alot better Threddie fisherman on here than me though so just my 2 cents.

Just gotta hope the Bream dont get to it.

Good luck mate!

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Anything is possible dude but I personally haven't heard of anyone catching Threddies on frozen (servo) prawns... I would suggest you take $10 to coles or woolies and get some of those big a$$ frozen Banana Prawns.. Live prawns turn into dead prawns within minuites for me anyway so as always fresh is best! I also hear certain oily fish flesh is good for them.. Either way, bypass the servo and head to a seafood co op! If your targetting threddies without a cast net I would use big circle hooks and just pin it sideways right through the tough shell on the back and let it waft round on the bottom - even try putting two on together side by side -- no need to thread it on... A threddie is only going to take it whole or not at all anyway. Alot better Threddie fisherman on here than me though so just my 2 cents.

Just gotta hope the Bream dont get to it.

Good luck mate!

Hi Chris, any help would be much appreciated, and yours is a great start. Yeah, something funny about those Servo prawns... not sure if its the way its processed in the bags.... dont seem to be any good. I will check out the "circle hooks", you're talkin about..... always change a losing game but never change a winning one... Cheers Chris.

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Apologies dude... Just re-read my post... the NON frozen big a$$ Banana Prawns at Coles and Woolies.. Frozen is no good.. Just get em that arvo or morning - keep em cool and use em that day.

Lastly to contradict myself one more time.. Frozen bait is dynamite at times.. Just depends what your targetting.. I will say that for Threddies, frozen bait certainly isnt your best bet.

gday mate,

i believe there has been people on here that have jagged them on dead prawns and pilchards before, but cetainly live baits best. i agree with chris with getting some larger specimens from coles or a co-op.

as for rigging i do all of my prawns like this wether live or dead. i have found they live ones stay alive rigged like this too. rigged_prawn.JPG

yeps shrimp traps are ok.

most the time i'm to lazy and just can't use a cast net that well anyways .

so i use a shrimp trap with bait ,bread ,bit of meat ,almost anything works .

put it in at the bank a foot or 2 of water ,near grass ,reeds sort of area .

get some live shrimp to fish with ,they work ok.

Malcolm wrote:

taib

maybee get yourself a shrimp trap from a tackle shop chuck some pure soap in it and get some live Shrimp they work as well

Hi Malcom (master of threadie! ...oh and yes Kriso).. pure soap??? first ive heard Malcom, but will definitely try anything! Any particular brand you suggest?

kriso wrote:

gday mate,

i believe there has been people on here that have jagged them on dead prawns and pilchards before, but cetainly live baits best. i agree with chris with getting some larger specimens from coles or a co-op.

as for rigging i do all of my prawns like this wether live or dead. i have found they live ones stay alive rigged like this too. rigged_prawn.JPG

Hi Kriso,

haha, mate thats gold!!!! :lol: Love your art work, but yes i can understand it!! :lol:

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

yeps shrimp traps are ok.

most the time i'm to lazy and just can't use a cast net that well anyways .

so i use a shrimp trap with bait ,bread ,bit of meat ,almost anything works .

put it in at the bank a foot or 2 of water ,near grass ,reeds sort of area .

get some live shrimp to fish with ,they work ok.

Cheers Davo,

will give all suggestions a hit. Will try bread and maybe dog food .... see how we go :)

I've caught some metre + threadies on servo prawns .. the trick is use more that one prawn on the hook (4/0)... big bait = big fish (sometimes)

pin them through the tail as per the "art work " above by Kriso

That said the coles/ woolies banana prawns work well but look for the smaller ones ie match the catch (ie the bait in the area)

ps expect to catch 20:1 cat fish

Hey all,

Threadies on prawns? I have caught one on a frozed local prawn but it was only about a foot long and decided that it would rather spend more time airborne than in the water where it belonged. Live prawns would definatley be the go, although they are hard to get ahold of sometimes.

As for shrimp traps, I quite commonly catch 'cherabin' looking creatures from the albert, logan rivers or hope island rockbars and these seem to work just as well as prawns, although if fished on the bottom they will snag you like a freshwater yabby can. These are normally taken in a shrimp trap full of bread, but sunlight un-scented soap also works a treat, as the shrimp and prawns love the fat content. Weird huh?

Archived