gathering live baits

dan25

Hey guys

I was just wondering what everyone does when gathering bait. Im thinking of heading out tomorow for a fish for some bullys maybe, and was thinking of heading somewhere this arvo just to castnet my bait so i dont have to worry about that tomorrow. Is there certain ways of keeping baitfish etc alive overnight?

Thanks

Dan

you could try a bucket with a lid and drill lots of good sized holes to maximise water flow and put ya bait in it and tie it up some where on the bank or off a tree limb so it stays in the water on low tide and hope it doesnt get nicked.

theres a fair bit of bait around in the rivers ATM dan. I would sudgest leaving home an hour or two earlier for bait gathering. Fresh is best.

where are you thinking of going fishing? where are you thinking of going for live bait.

kooka has lots of little mullet ATM up near the dog leash free area on the sandy part heaps of prawns too but pwffft ya dont want them your after a shark not a thredie :laugh: :laugh:

yeah that sandy spot near the boat ramp good for mid week.ski lice will park up on it through out the week end probably scatter the bait.

theres more sandy stretches just up past the shelter shed. go for a good explore of the area to get familiar with where the bait hangs out. walk through the big paddock up past the cannoe shed and toilets on ya right. that big paddock down low with a bench seat in the middle is the dog off leash area walk right to the other end of that paddock towards the homes you will find some good spots to throw the net.

mick fillet wrote:

yeah that sandy spot near the boat ramp good for mid week.ski lice will park up on it through out the week end probably scatter the bait.

theres more sandy stretches just up past the shelter shed. go for a good explore of the area to get familiar with where the bait hangs out. walk through the big paddock up past the cannoe shed and toilets on ya right. that big paddock down low with a bench seat in the middle is the dog off leash area walk right to the other end of that paddock towards the homes you will find some good spots to throw the net.

ok Awesome, thanks Mick. Hopefully i can get out this weekend to give it ago. :)

20l bucket with an air pump is good for around 10 poddys or boneys dont even try to keep herring they are not good keepers. The most hardy of all is the humble catty and they are good shark bait.Keep the bucket in a cool place and if the air temp gets over 30 drop a frozen soft drink bottle of water in the bucket to cool it down a bit.I quite ofter keep 15 tp 20 small podys in my 40l live well overnight with an air pump on it.When you are fishing and you notice your liveys going belly you can quickly revive them by just swishing your fingers in the water but still change the water as soon as possible.

Cheers

Ray

Archived