Horny Shark

raven

Hi All

Just a quick report - bro-in-law and I headed out to the Hornibrook bridge this morning to see what the king tide would bring. Arrived at about 8am with the plan to fish 2 hours either side of the high. It was blowing a gale and rained on and off but we managed to HTFU and got stuck in. Running both a heavy and a light setup, I rigged a strip of mullet on the big rod and prawned up the small. Floated the mullet out and plonked the prawn in the drink and settled in to a breakkie beer.

Due to the wind and the tide just ripping through it was hard to feel for bites on the light setup but there was no mistaking seeing my balloon going for a spirited run against the tide not to mention that wonderful zzzzzzzz sound :cheer:

Grabbed the big rod and set the hooks and begun reeling him in. Having never caught a shark from the bridge it struck me as to how I was going to land it... luckily by this stage the tide was so high there was much gap between us and the water line. Walked him on down off the hump and put on some wossy boy gloves and reefed him on up..

hornyshark.jpg

Pretty happy with that! Chucked him on back in the water and he swam off to hopefully play another day.

After that excitement I settled back in for another beer but before too long my light setup was going off. Grabbed it and held on to what I thought was going to be a decent sized bream. Yeah, no - another bully! This time on 8lb braid + 15lb fluro. Must say was great fun reeling this one in on light gear. Unfortunately though there was no way it was going to be lighted out of the water and as soon as I lifted the head up off he went. No photo of shark 2 atm (bro-in-law still has it on his phone) but will upload it soon.

That was it for the day. Bro got nothing except clean bitten off 3 times (he's decided to invest in some wire traces and braid now...). Bloke next to us managed a decent sized legal squire as well as a few undersized.

All up, a great day out on the horny bridge and another tick in the box :cheer:

Cheers

Pity they are going to rip most of the old girl down.

I see the fishing platform on the new bridge is near some nice rubble patches, so it might be pretty good for squire. Its also going to get pretty crowded, its pretty small. Also going to be a long walk out there for the anglers!

Feral wrote:

Pity they are going to rip most of the old girl down.

I see the fishing platform on the new bridge is near some nice rubble patches, so it might be pretty good for squire. Its also going to get pretty crowded, its pretty small. Also going to be a long walk out there for the anglers!

Is it a definite that the bridge is being taken out? I noticed that Council have recently put up some new bikeway signs at the bridge entry. There's also a new carpark on the southern end thats just about complete. So many people use this thing I just don't see the point in knocking it down. Surely it would cost just as much to knock it down as it would to fix it up a bit?

Its not a Qld Govt petition, dunno who that mob is. If you do this sort of petition its much better to make it a sanctioned one through you local member on the Qld Parliament site. At least you then know it gets presented in the house. Even if they ignore it and leave it tabled for 6 months then throw it out, which they mostly do.

Archived