treasure hunt is on!

noname

going up to somerset dam soon, might take the pots up for a look, but i have other things to look for while i'm up there now, brad will problably be my side kick, as we have a reason to go there now, have roughly the area in which to start looking, if i'd only known when the water was low, dohh.

I dont get it whats the treasure rob???an outboard a car a fence with heaps of lures caught on it :blink: what Its a landing net isnt it :lol: .whats the treasure spill ya gut let us know..

hey use google maps to maybe find what your looking for the maps are from when the dams were at all time low and havn't been updated yet.just a thought

FRESH WATER DAVE

the heads alone will be 15000 then there is the injection, that will be finethey run a dry sump system which means there might be a lil water in the oil!but things like rollers, stud girdles, rev kits, roller cam and followers, jessel timing belt set up, the dry sump it's self, then gear box and propshaft and prop etc, pistons should be fine, mighr need a bore, as these engines are mostly standard bore nascar blocks, with very thick walls buying price starts at $4000, and that was like 10 years ago

the story goes

years ago i was into power boat racing and water ski racing, a friend who is in the same fishin clud told me about mr x and his boat still in the dam, it was an unlimited 20 foor stevens hull, which had a new motor put into it.

mr x was up there a few days b4 hand, as they used to race up there, so he's doin trials, hence the no safety crew up there, with me so far!

so on 1 pass the boat gets airborne at aprox 140 mph, the boat flipped over backwards, mr x got thrown out of the boat, and mr x got picked up by some onlookers, the boat was partly recovered by my mate, the steering wheel and part of the side of the boat, i only hope the throttle was shut as it hit the water or it will have hydraulic'd it'self, but stiil be worth recovering, thats for sure.

Thats certainly possible, but if you do it properly it is legal.

A PDF on Salvage relevant to Australia.
/>http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=1405

If it exists and has not been salvaged, might be worth some good beer money to salvage it, but how long would it take to go through court and get your loot out of the insurance company? Who knows.Doubt you would have your beer money by christmas - 2015!

bootyinblue wrote:

And once found, be charged with stealing by finding... Now i really see the allure of the treasure hunt!
aparently it's finders keepers as it has been there a while now, i'm not talking decades, but not talkin weeks either.yeah sure it belongs to some 1, probably the insurance company as it's been paid for, they don't seem to want to find it, but i sure as hell do.

woohoo

thanx feral, the vessel has been abandoned, hence a derelict vessel and the owner has at some point tried to recover it but lost all hope and gave up the quest, this much i know for sure! as to who owns it now, i'm not sure, but i was told as of 2 weeks ago the derelict vessel was still there, the owner has now left the vessel to the perils of the dam, again this much i know for sure.the only way the owner is going to recover this vessel is by waiting for the dam to dry up. but reading on in the laws of salvage, she's a goer. i really see the allure of it now :) just need to find it now :dry: doh.

and yoyo, are you some sort of paedofile??? c'mon mate kindergargen fete's. jeeeezsusssss

Apprantly its not a case of finders keepers in this particular case.

390 Things capable of being stolen

Anything that is the property of any person is capable of being

stolen if it is—

(a) moveable; or

(B) capable of being made moveable, even if it is made

moveable in order to steal it.

391 Definition of stealing

(1) A person who fraudulently takes anything capable of being

stolen, or fraudulently converts to the person’s own use or to

the use of any other person anything capable of being stolen,

is said to steal that thing.

398 Punishment of stealing

(1) Any person who steals anything capable of being stolen is

guilty of a crime, and is liable, if no other punishment is

provided, to imprisonment for 5 years.

4 Stealing from the person—stealing goods in transit etc.

If the offence is committed under any of the circumstances

following, that is to say—

(a) ...

(B) ...

© ...

(d) if the thing is stolen from a vehicle which is in distress

or wrecked or stranded;

(e) ...

the offender is liable to imprisonment for 10 years.

Looks to be a few legal issues there to jump over before you can rightfully claim it is yours.

distress, strandard and wrecked is different from sittin derelict on the bottom of a dam, and at some point will cause safety issues, hence the removal and reward system under the salvors act. well thats how i read it. it doesn't belong ever to me, but get a reward for the salvage of it, as per risking my vessel and my time and the time of others. and as for the being actually charged for stealing by way of finding, well that is the funniest thing i have ever heard although it probably true :laugh: so i'm gunna give this a real good shot. but if i find it, i'll find out what the go is from there.

a freind of mine that found a few boats when the waters dried up in moogerah dam reported them straight to police and applied to become the owner after a cooling off period of 3 months he owns 2 of them now and 1 was claimed by its owner all of these cases the owners abandoned the vessels after being to hard to recover i don't see any hurdles of this salvage with police i work for a company that does salvage work at sea and it is considered a service to the owner or goverment when the owner is not in a position to do it themselves

heres one for you might be a bit easier .told by a friends father who was in the war .at the end of the war they burried a ww2 jeep along with other parts it was still wrapped in grease proof plastic and was burried at the north end of bribie where they were camped .my self and my friend whent up there with all the info and a map drawn by his father back in 1969 and we found the spot but never went any further with it .so if you want to go on another treasure hunt you will only need a few shovels lets me know and i will draw you a map .with all the erosion on bribie it might be easier to find now ;) al no joke true story

Rob, political bullshit aside, just go get it and keep it hush hush, the way i see it its the same as picking up $2 on the street? what about those dudes that collect hub caps and hang them off their fence? i suppose they can be charged if theyve got one less than 60 days old and have not tried to find the owner?

Archived