1770 / Agnes Waters...help pls

webbfunk

Am going there next week for a week.

Am going on a deep sea charter no matter what ( 3oth birthday prez from mrs ) so any advice there would be much appreciated.

Also am looking at the idea of hiring a tinny for a day to hit up some of the local creeks / estuaries. Again any advice much appreciated.

Also on a 3rd note, how long would it take to drive to Awoonga from there?

At this stage am looking st staying at Agnes Waters Beach Club.

there is a charter boat thats leaves from the docks.and there is another charter boat that rolls in on a trailer its a cruise craft or somthing.

The big boat at the docks is called MV James Cook fishing charters 1770 its owned by the same fella neil who runs the larc. Not sure about the other charter but could be the same bloke that owns the bait n tackle shop.

G'day mate, spent a couple of days in Agnes Waters/1770 in mid January. Stayed at Edges on beaches, which was really nice, secure and had heaps of pools for swims.

As to the important stuff, fishing, it was the first time I went there, so I went to the local bait shop, which is on the way into Agnes Waters on the right, you can't miss it. The guy in there was very helpful, and provided me with a printed set of GPS points, which ranged from 2 miles offshore up 20 miles out. We spent the morning at the spot 6.5 miles offshore, and caught an absolute ton of golden trevally up to a metre, they were great fighting and we had a ball. I will try and attach a photo of the sounder to illustrate how thick they were. It was in about 30-35 metres of water, so we set up a drift, and every time we came over the spot, the sounder went crazy and every rod on the boat went off, it was great, we spent about 3 hours out there and headed home about 2PM. We were out there in a 5.3m quintrex, but there were tinnies out there at about 4-4.5 metres, obviously weather was pretty good.

Be aware of the fairly shallow water getting in and out from the boat ramp at 1770, and whilst there is not a bar heading out, the swell out the front can be challenging, particularly in smaller boats.

I was listening to the charter boats chatting on the radio during the day we were out and they seemed to be doing pretty well, and lots of reports of mackerel were coming over the radio, so good luck with the charter.

We had a ball up there, and I will certainly be back there. good luck and tight lines.

steve P1170081.gif

Just got back today. By the time you go, the water should be clear again. The stormy weather up north pushed muddy water south about 4 days ago, and is out to around 5 miles offshore. Really shut down the pelagics, but the rain stirred up the barra and lots of jacks around. All of the action I had was within sight of the marina.

Archived