Help Please! Spinning reel wont lock since service

Mezza

Ok so Im just a recreational fisher... haven't ever actually serviced my reel since owning it 2 years ago.

Decided to pull it apart, wash and scrub it out and grease and oil all moving parts.

I found some vids on youtube to help me with this.

I have a shimano sierra 4000 I think it is, Its a pretty basic spinning reel.

When I was washing it out, and dismantling, I accidently opened up the bearing case, not realising until I saw bearings and tiny springs fell into my wash container.

As I hadnt actually had a good look to see what the origional layout of the parts were, fear I may have put them back in wrong....

I jumped online and found a bunch of photos of a similar reel pulled apart, and I thought I managed to get it back together fairly well, considering my inexperience, but turns out, after I finished re-spooling with new line..... that the reel no longer locks, it actually spins back the other way, and can be wound backwards....

I have set the drag on as tight as I can, and the little flick switch on the underside does nothing either way...

Just wondering if anyone can give me an Idea of what I may have done, or should I just take it to a tackle shop and get an expert to have a gander?

sienna%204000.jpg

bio---15.jpg

Hi Mezza, first of all, WELCOME to Brisbane fishing... First post :)

Unfortunately i havent come across this before and cant really help however, if you decide to take it to a tackle shop to have it looked at or serviced, make sure to get a quote first as the cost of service could be more than the "new" cost. Im sure this particular reel goes for about $60 at Big W and Kmart . I have owned one (got it for a present) of these in the past and they are an excellent reel.

hey mate wlecome to the site.

did you buy the reel from new? cause if you did it should have come with a warenty card instrucion booklet with a parts lay out of the entire reel have a look at the parts layout to find where the little springs come from and reassemble the reel corectly.

or google the reel for its parts layout diagram.

mick

Hey, Thanks. Yep, First post dispite being a member for a while.

And yeah, I got the reel new for about $40 on special at BCF, great reel, as I said, Its never been opened or lubed before, and it's had a rugged life and still works well ....until now anyway hah...

I reckon you have reassembled the anti reverse 1 way sprag clutch part of the reel incorrectly. This has small rollers and springs that allow the reel to turn 1 way. When you turn the other way the rollers "jam" into their slots/shaft stopping the reel. The lever underneath pulls this mech away from the shaft allowing forward and back rotation. Or something like that.

Haha This is the exact page I was looking at yesterday when I got into trouble.

It was the most similar I could find, and have since bookmarked it.

As far as I could tell i had everything in place, However there was 1 tiny screw left over when putting it all back together,

Couldnt find where it belonged, so just left it, but now Im beginning to think it goes somewhere important haha, Might check out the user manual If I can find it :)

Archived