bream rod and reel combo

I won't throw around brands that I'm sure you allready know but rest assured for 400 clams your gunna get an awesome combo!

You just need to talk to the guys at the boat show or tackle shop and let them know your fishing preferences and style and they will point you in the right direction.

happy fishing mate :fishing:

Cam

Whiskers wrote:

I won't throw around brands that I'm sure you allready know but rest assured for 400 clams your gunna get an awesome combo!

You just need to talk to the guys at the boat show or tackle shop and let them know your fishing preferences and style and they will point you in the right direction.

happy fishing mate :fishing:

Cam

I agree - you'll get a sweet outfit for $400. Should be able to pick up some good specials at the T&T show. ;) My only sugestion would be to not limit yourself to Diawa stuff - theres plenty of other quality gear out there.... It's always good to go and blow a few $ on fishing gear - I'll be guilty of that yet again come T&T show :silly: Good luck!

shortie wrote:

you might get half a reel for $400 if you want decent

Your kiddin - what reel do you use for your bream outfit? Even my trusty 2500 sienna teamed up with a 2-4kg raider has yet to find a bream it can't handle after several years of use and some good fish... and you can still get the whole package for under $200.

Cheers,

mongrel jack wrote:

shortie wrote:

Your kiddin - what reel do you use for your bream outfit? Even my trusty 2500 sienna teamed up with a 2-4kg raider has yet to find a bream it can't handle after several years of use and some good fish... and you can still get the whole package for under $200.

Cheers,

GLX loomis and a 3 week old certate

shortie wrote:

I'll challenge you on that one Shorty :P

It doesn't have to be very top shelf stuff to be good. You can do a Shimano Stradic 2500 (i know its not Daiwa but its a very good reel) for $200 rrp and then a decent rod like a Shimano T-Curve for ~$250.

Thats pretty much one of the exact combo's I have and its caught everything from the smallest whiting, a 42cm Jack and some 60cm Mac Tuna.

$400 for a combo isn't gonna be top of the range sorta stuff, but its certainly at the level of very good reliability and performance.

Do$tylz wrote:

shortie wrote:

It doesn't have to be very top shelf stuff to be good. You can do a Shimano Stradic 2500 (i know its not Daiwa but its a very good reel) for $200 rrp and then a decent rod like a Shimano T-Curve for ~$250.

Thats pretty much one of the exact combo's I have and its caught everything from the smallest whiting, a 42cm Jack and some 60cm Mac Tuna.

$400 for a combo isn't gonna be top of the range sorta stuff, but its certainly at the level of very good reliability and performance.

Henry, I cant fish very well so I've gotta look like i know what I'm doing.

shortie wrote:

Do$tylz wrote:
shortie wrote:

Henry i cant fish very well so ive gotta look like i know what im doing.

hahaha... and sound like it too :P coming tomorrow mate?

my mrs runs a 1-3kg daiwa infeet 6'8" very nice rodd scertainly worth the 260 it cost again for the same price i got a 2-4KG gl-2 G-Loomis which forfills the same niche but has a heavyer skull dragging butt

i run a 1000 size twinpower she has a 1000 size ci4 stradic which is in for a service cuzz the salt water flogged it

i will say the infeet has good fish handling for a 1-3kg and it casts like a bullet

Ok a couple of things.

Unless your pro and these $700+ reels and rods are given to you forget about it.

If you have a sweet job or a rich dad fine indulge yourself.

But for a relativley amature fisho a $400 combo is better than as good as it gets, You will get nothing more from spending the extra hundreds.

It could be compared to a v8 super car changing his brakes to get a extra 10th of a second or a swimmer shaving his legs to get an lower 100th of a second.

Unless your a pro competeing in regular comps ( not social comps the real deal ones ) you will get nothing other than lighter pockets.

If you went and bought a new car would you look at holden or ford or would you go and get a firrari or lambo?( excuse the spelling :P )

Remarks like you will get half a reel for $400 are incredibly stupid and do not help in any way whatsoever answering ross question!

Thats my spew for the day!

Cam

Personally, I'd get a Shimano Raider Rod or T-Curve T-Series with either a Daiwa Tierra, Infeet, or Sol. Or a Shimano Stradic or Stradic Ci4. These will be about as good as it gets for that price. If you get the Raider, you can afford the Ci4 or Sol; if you get the Raider you can afford the Stradic, Tierra or Infeet. If you can stretch to $500, you can get the best combination ;) However, any combination of these will still give you a great combo :)

Go through motackle and have a look at each of these items and decide

http://www.motackle.com.au/

Oh yeh, just remembered that you will need to save about $30-40 for braid to put on it. I'd recommend Nitlon PE in 4-6lb

Whiskers wrote:

Ok a couple of things.

Unless your pro and these $700+ reels and rods are given to you forget about it.

But for a relativley amature fisho a $400 combo is better than as good as it gets, You will get nothing more from spending the extra hundreds.

It could be compared to a v8 super car changing his brakes to get a extra 10th of a second or a swimmer shaving his legs to get an lower 100th of a second.

Unless your a pro competeing in regular comps ( not social comps the real deal ones ) you will get nothing other than lighter pockets.

If you went and bought a new car would you look at holden or ford or would you go and get a firrari or lambo?( excuse the spelling :P )

Remarks like you will get half a reel for $400 are incredibly stupid and do not help in any way whatsoever answering ross question!

Cam

ITs all symantics Whiskers. lol

For the extra clams you will get better more smooth reliable drag. Better non corrosive componentry. Better warranty.

So for $400 you wont get an awesome combo as you put it. you will get a combo good enough to do the job. The key is buy the best you can afford.

LOL

i scored my shimano 1000 twinpower for 209 which was a wicked deal and i spooled it with 4lbs daiwa td sensor braid so theres 70 bucks and the rod i bought to go with it is a gl2 gloomis 2-4 6' cost 260

comes to $539

mrs combo is a 6'8" daiwa infeet 260 reel is a shimano stradic 1000 ci4 scored off breammaster for 210 spooled with some crap we have to respool

comes to $470 but after respool +70 = $540

my second combo is a berkley dropshot 2-4kg $100 modifyed $20 shimano symetre 150 (got ripped off at bcf) 4lbs fireline 30 bucks

comes to$300 i also use the symetre on a 1-3 black diamond flats ranger which i paid 175 for so that combo comes to $355 could have been cheaper if i got my symetre for 120-130

mrs 2end combo is also a modifyed berkly 2-4kg 100 + 20 for mods her symetre 129 fireline 30

comes to $279 she also has a 2-4 6' black diamond clearcut she uses she got for 175 so that combo comes to $334

so hope that helps, also there are a heap of cheaper rods in the 100-260 range that are nothing short of fantastic you have trion tournys and berkly drop shots in the cheaper side and gl2 gloomis and daiwa rods like the infeet and zero that are great in the 260 price range

other rods i have had and now sold on are shimano t-curve (was not a fan at all) and trion soft plastics rod which my gloomis replaced

thinking about the shimano raider rod

with the daiwa sol reel 2000 or 2500

yer i know about the braid going to spool the second spool with something a bit heavier just in case some little trevs etc pop up I have something to throw at em

thanks guys will take in your advice :cheer:

cheers ross B)

shortie wrote:

Whiskers wrote:
Ok a couple of things.

Cam

ITs all symantics Whiskers. lol

For the extra clams you will get better more smooth reliable drag. Better non corrosive componentry. Better warranty.

So for $400 you wont get an awesome combo as you put it. you will get a combo good enough to do the job. The key is buy the best you can afford.

LOL

You have got to be kidding me :laugh:

Your comments are laughable

i kind of agree abit with whiskers for example if you want to shoot a rabit you CAN use a old 2end hand 22 calibar rifle and it will do the job however you could also get a fantastic hunting sniper style rifle that will do the same job only 10x better in every way, same with fishing rods/reels i think 500-600 for a decent combo (thats rod, reel and braid) is realistic of course you can go buy a 100 dollar rod and an 80 dollar reel and it will do the job and if you shop around it will do it quiet well but hey its enjoyable having nice gear

if you do want a combo for 200ish dollars its hard to beat a trion/berkly dropshot and a shimano sienna with fireline

If you can get a Sol 2000, that would be a sweet reel. I have owned 2 of these and never had any problems with them. One of mine was over 2 years old and was still working perfectly.

Performance wise you wont get much more out of spending $800 for a reel. I have some fairly high end daiwa reels (certates and emeraldas) and my Sol will do everything that these reels do. They may be a bit smoother but thats really the only major difference. Not that it will make me catch more fish. As long as you have a smooth drag, which the Sols do have, (same drag as my certates) and the line lay is good. You wont have any problems with it.

With the rod.. your best bet is to get the reel and match it to a few different rods in a tackle shop and see what you prefer, your rod is far more important then the reel IMO. Pfluegar do some nice rods. Trions and the asaros are pretty awesome for the price.

And now, back to the question... Is there anyone on the site using bream gear that cost less than $400 who can honestly say that they lost a fish because of the quality of the gear? If you are fishing really regularly, you will get better life out of the dearer stuff I'm sure, and the more expensive it is the nicer it is to use, but on the other hand, the more expensive it is, the more you get cut if catch the tip in the car door or your best friend soaks your reel in the brine when you lend it to him.

Hahaha - this is shaping into a best seller :lol: Bet you never thought a simple question could end up like this hey rosstralia46? In all seriousness I think you will slay some good fish for many years to come with the Raider and Sol combo (by then you should have a decent job and be able to afford "adult" fishing gear) ;) hahaha.

Cheers.

And just to add something OT...... the Sol/Raider combo would do just nicely....

I have a Stradic/Strudwick sicstikpro and Twinpower/Loomis bream combos and yeh the TP is smoother than the Stradic but the fish don't know what they're attached to until i pull them up and give 'em a squiz........

Always buy the best you can afford.

mongrel jack wrote:

Hahaha - this is shaping into a best seller :lol: Bet you never thought a simple question could end up like this hey rosstralia46? In all seriousness I think you will slay some good fish for many years to come with the Raider and Sol combo (by then you should have a decent job and be able to afford "adult" fishing gear) ;) hahaha.

Cheers.

oops - doesn't make much sense now the threads been sanitised.... Enjoy spending your hard earned and let us know what you end up with. There are a few of us that have a similar budget to yours and are interested.

Cheers..

dang it i missed all the good stuff .

i don't know about the deer stuff .

i will not spend over 200$ on a combo.

rods and reels get banged about ,in the car ,in the tinny ,in the canoe ,on the roof racks ,leaning against a tent or tree .they go swimming in fresh and salt,they get wacked against stuff when walking about and so on . i do try to look after my gear ,but all these thing do happen ,and tips get broken off .

in my opinion over 200$ is a waste of $.

but if u got the $ well why not .

hey if i won a million on lotto i would buy the best of the best gear .

so that's my answer to the ?

100 to 200 $ should get u something good enough to do the job and feel nice .

so its just up to brand u like in that price range u chose .

Actually y'know what.... i still have my first lure rod & reel, just grabbed a basic setup from Kmart... a Rovex Aerius reel (two spool 1500/2500) for $80 i think, and a Tsunami High modulus graphite rod for $45 i think it was. at the time i just grabbed some cheap JW Hercules GSP from kmart as well, but put fireline on it since....

Caught my PB Jack at 52.5cm on it (with the herc braid on it too i might add!), plus plenty of other bream, flatties, trevs....the list goes on...

To be honest i quite like it, even now, especially considering the price....

So there's a nice cheaper option for you if you dont like to spend a heap of cash on fishing gear and want a handy little lure rod & reel....

yeah i got a Rovex Aerius reel (two spool 1500/2500) 59$ and a ATC hardstick drop shot light $79.

that my primo combo for lures ,its my fav cause it my first and i have actually caught a few fish on it .

but i have caught similar fish on a 20 to 30 $ graphite rod and a 10$ reel .

oh u know the 30 combo feel almost the same to me as the 140$ combo .

bar i don't expect the 10$ reel to last a long time.

i fish with cheap lures too 3 to 15 $ .

caught a few fish on them too ,the 3 $ lures are doing quite well against the deer ones .

i just reckon u don't have to spend huge $ to catch fish ,whether it lures or bait .

little bream feel pretty good on a 15$ kids combo .:)

i still have my first combo sitting in the rod rack it was a shimano backbone and a shimano slade 4000 spooled with 8lbs mono it accounted for many tailor and afew bream on bait never got one on a lure on that combo though

my mrs combo is super light and super sensitive plus it casts a mile

the backbone is super heavy for a 2-4kg rod and is super sloppy in the tip as what should be expected from a combo that cost a grand total of 100 bucks

i might give it a burn if i ever decide to go for a bait fish sometime the difference in feel when fighting a fish to my other combo's is a great deal different

My first Bream Combo was a Raider with a 2500 symtre spooled with 6lb fireline. I found this rod amazing when i first started out and would definetly recommend it as it did everything i wanted, initially. I like the raider better then the Pfluger and it is alot cheaper.

I now have a GLX2 loomis and Dawia Luvias spooled with 10lb sea bass braid - this rod is 100% better then my previous rig only becuase i now want to throw low weighted poppers and small hard bodies apposed to plastics. The reason being is i can cast these lures a greater distabce from the boat resulting in more fish on those days they are hard to come by.

Basically, it will depend on what you want to do with the rod and what you expect to get out of it. If you spend the extra money you get better warranty and performance only noticed is your perticular about your fishing and notice the small things.

cheers,

Archived