Kuala Rompin report part 4 – Perth Samson revenge

free2rome2

In my recent post in “Interstate report : Perth Samson – Disappointingâ€, I did not manage to get my Samson and when I got back home to Malaysia, I just had to go out fishing again… My hands were itchy… B)

Checked with my regular skipper whose name is ‘Sky’ on the weather and he mentioned that the monsoon is over and they’ve gone out for a couple already. The minute I heard it… that’s it! I’m going… Booked for the 6th March with him and sort of wanted to just ‘revenge’ for the rather bad showing I had in Perth... :angry:

Had my company D & D the nite before till about 10.30pm (and had a couple of drinks) and off I went straight to Rompin (which is about a 3 hours drive from Johor Bahru). Reached Rompin at around 2am, fixed up my rigs till about 3am, then off to bed for a couple of ‘shut-eye’. Got up at 6.30am and prepared to get ready, had breaky and off we went to the boat at around 7.45am.

By this time, I realized that the whole place was buzzing, there’s about 30 boats in Rompin alone, and I guess almost all of them were booked and going out. Noticed there were fishos from Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and even some from Australia… :cheer:

Started at 8am, planed for about an hour or so, till we reached our 1st spot, setup some bottom rigs with live prawns and casted out one of my rods with a plastic… was flicking here and there, then my bottom setup (Abu Ambassadeur 6500) screamed… I rushed to it and fought for a good 5 mins (felt like a good sized fish) and up it came… Yes! My first ever “Ibu Gelama†at almost 3kgs, think it’s called a Croaker.

Then, my other rod screamed… this time it’s a table sized groupa, and later on got a striped-bass (I think). We had a couple more bites here and there but were a bit undersized, so we decided to release them to fight another day.

We headed onto our next spot to target the Diamond trevally cos it’s that time of the year for this species. Arrived at the spot, and I did some flicking with my SP… didn’t have much of a showing so we decided to move on to the next location… but then suddenly bang! I was onto something big and it just stripped my line (20lbs Xzoga coloured line).

Fought for a good 20 mins and to our surprise, up came a GT!!! My first ever GT and on plastic…! Whew! 1st time using plastics ever… :woohoo:

Stayed on for an hour but no bites, so we moved…

By the time we arrived at the 3rd location, I counted a total of 12 boats (including ours)… looked a bit crowded but our skipper insisted we stayed on, so we planed for a couple of minutes and he found a spot which was ahead of the rest of the pack at the ‘head’ of the drift and parked… dropped anchor, and we dropped our rigs.

Our boatman Sky told us to change our leaders to a 20lb setup with #2 hook, as he said that the Diamonds prefer smaller hooks and lighter lines.. so we did and it was not even 5 minutes when 3 of the rods started to bend, we had a triple hook-up!!! Our lines were crossing and it was almost a mess… fought for a couple of minutes… seems like forever cos the Diamond Ts fight like crazy especially on a light setup. Lost 2 of the fish but I managed to get mine up (lucky me, whew)… :P

Then awhile later, I got another, this time it felt like a biggie, and it was… about 8kgs. Took me about 20 mins to get the bugger up on my ultra-lite Thomas Stroker rod with Stradic 4000 on Xzoga 15lbs braided line with a 20lb wind-on leader…

Rested for awhile and before I could get a drink, my other rod started to bend, and bang I was on to another… this time, it was a golden trev (my first ever) and I was thinking to myself that this is a good trip when suddenly I got another ‘pull’ and this time it was a Cobia (also my first)… :cheer:

We fished for another half hour, and our boatman decided that it was time to go back as it was almost 5pm (cos it will take us about 1 1/2 hour to get back to Rompin). I was sad to be honest, cos I could’ve fished for another couple more hours… oh well.

I will come back again soon. In fact, I’ve booked for the 27th and 28th with Sky… :laugh:

Sorry for being so ‘long-winded’ with my report, but if you understood how I felt after my poor catch rate in Perth and then to get the number of fishes in this trip and on top of that so many ‘firsts’…. Plastics, GT, Golden and Cobia… you would forgive me. :blush:

Anyway, I’ll let the pics do the talking…

Cheers!

Jonathan

Some pics of Rompin jetty with all the hustle and bustle of fishos getting ready, people having breakys and still relaxing whilst others were more excited and raring to go.... (that includes me).

P3060321.jpg

P3060322.jpg

P3060324.jpg

P3060329.jpg

P3060325.jpg

P3060328.jpg

P3060332.jpg

At our 1st spot, we set-up some bottom rigs with live prawns, light jigging and plastics... then not long after, i got a hook-up.. B)

P3060336.jpg

I got a nice sized, what the locals call "ibu gelama"... (think it's a Croaker or something). Can anyone help identify this fish?

P3060339.jpg

P3060341.jpg

Our very hardworking boatman, Sky... eager for us to find and get fish...

P3060351.jpg

Then not long after... while I was flicking my plastic here and there (when we all decided to change spot), bang! I get a hit!...

Fought for a good 15 mins or so, then up came my first ever GT on Plastics!!!

P3060393.jpg

P3060365.jpg

P3060364.jpg

Not sure what this is called... but good eating.. :cheer:

P3060375.jpg

By the time we got to our 3rd spot, there were boats everywhere (a total of 12, if not more...). Then we planed for a couple of minutes till we our skipper found a spot ahead of the pack, and this proved to be a very good and productive spot.. B)

P3060347.jpg

P3060378.jpg

a decent sized Diamond T.. we call it 'ebek'...

P3060382.jpg

another Diamond T (I think) but the locals call it 'cermin'..

P3060381.jpg

Boats were all around, and when we did a bit of jigging and casting, some times our jigs were caught onto the others boats anchor line...

P3060388.jpg

Then, I was on to something again...

P3060392.jpg

Up came another decent sized 'ebek'...

P3060386.jpg

My first Cobia...

P3060406.jpg

and Golden Trev...

P3060408.jpg

Awhile later, my very slim Thomas Stroker rod (PE 0.5-1), with 15lbs braid and 20lbs leader went berserk...

P3060396.jpg

Me, trying to put on a 'relaxed' face but actually my arms were aching...

P3060395.jpg

Fought for almost 20 mins till up came this bugger of about 8kgs...

P3060399.jpg

All in all, this trip proved to be a good one... :woohoo:

Hope you enjoyed it....

Angus wrote:

free2rome2 wrote:
Thanks guys, so, jew fish it is.... :)

No... Thank you! Always keeping the overseas reports section interesting mate. Cheers!

Angus

Hey Gus, you're most welcomed! my pleasure...

writing reports and posting pics can be rather 'addictive', ya know... :laugh:

Do$tylz wrote:

looks good out there F2R :)

how far away is this launch spot from KL?? I might have to go for a trip the next time I'm in KL.

Hi Do$tylz,

It's a good 5 hour drive from KL.

If you're in KL, I'd recommend you to go to Pekan which an hour up north of kuala rompin (and nearer to KL) and the fishing there is equally good.

It would be about 3.5 to 4 hour from Kuala Lumpur.

I can give you some names and number of reliable boatmen if you want.

I've attached 2 maps below for you...

Cheers, Jonathan

Picture12.png

Picture14.png

Hi Ben, you've got sharp eyes... Yes, that's the Black Rose, and it gives a 'horrifying' (but lovely to look at) bend once it's being hooked up. All in all, it's a very good rod and it never failed me...

A day out on one of these charters would cost approx.:

a) Boat + skipper (without tackle) - AUD330 (or thereabouts) for a 7-8m speedboat, comfortably sits 5-6 pax

B) Lodging w/o meals (basic 3-room low cost housing + cable TV, Kitchen etc.) - AUD50 (for chalets, it would cost slightly more)

c) Baits - Live prawns - AUD0.30 / pc

Cheers, Jonathan

Do$tylz wrote:

nice.. Thanks for the details mate.

haha.. just looked at the map and it looks like its even further for me. My mate lives in Shah Alam so its an extra 40minutes from there... boooo.

with the jam, it might take you an hour or so... :)

If from Shah Alam, then it's best to just try and get a boat out from Klang.. Much nearer and they've got some good fishing too.

free2rome2 wrote:

Hi Ben, you've got sharp eyes... Yes, that's the Black Rose, and it gives a 'horrifying' (but lovely to look at) bend once it's being hooked up. All in all, it's a very good rod and it never failed me...

A day out on one of these charters would cost approx.:

a) Boat + skipper (without tackle) - AUD330 (or thereabouts) for a 7-8m speedboat, comfortably sits 5-6 pax

B) Lodging w/o meals (basic 3-room low cost housing + cable TV, Kitchen etc.) - AUD50 (for chalets, it would cost slightly more)

c) Baits - Live prawns - AUD0.30 / pc

Cheers, Jonathan

Never failed me yet either!!!

My favourite rod at the moment all over.

I am looking forward to testing out my Red Sword though Ben :)

Angus

Hey Gus, this looks like the perfect spot for a AFO event.

We have the 'State of Origin' all we need now are some International matches. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Great report free2rome2, when its good writing and plenty of big fish shots its a pleasure to read. Keep up the reports.

Awesome report mate! :woohoo:

Those Diamond Trevs are pretty rare down here and I've never seen any that size before!

Oh and the second unkown fish is called a Striped Sea-Perch. Also known as a Spanish Flag it is related to our Mangrove Jacks, Red Emperor and Black Bass ;) (Lutjanid family)

wesfish wrote:

what variety of quality fish mate :woohoo: very good report with great quality pics!! allways enjoy your reports!!!! B)

Hi Wes, thanks!! just thought of sharing with all of you... got to admit, all this "fish reports" can be quite addictive... :P

Cheers, Jonathan

ryanyoung wrote:

That is fantastic mate, well done on some great fish and a great report.......green with envy!!!

Ryan.

Hey, Ryan, thanks, mate!

To be honest, I too envy you guys down there cos you've got pretty nice places to fish and on top of that, Oz and NZ have got very good conservation practices... leading to good fish stocks. For us here, there's none, so, the catches get lesser over the years.. :(

robin wrote:

Now your teasing me, Im flying to KL in may, but dont think the g/f would like it if i go fishing instead of getting Wedding pics done.

Hi robin, ... ha! now that's a 'fix' you're in... not sure how I can help out here, otherwise, we could get some fishing done, although I'm in JB which is rather far from KL... maybe next time.. :)

Cowfish13 wrote:

Awesome report mate! :woohoo:

Those Diamond Trevs are pretty rare down here and I've never seen any that size before!

Oh and the second unkown fish is called a Striped Sea-Perch. Also known as a Spanish Flag it is related to our Mangrove Jacks, Red Emperor and Black Bass ;) (Lutjanid family)

Hi Will, thanks for helping with identifying the sea-perch, now I know what it's called... :lol:

Yeah, the Diamonds can get pretty huge here... and they give a real tough fight on light tackle.. good exercise and workout.. :P

I envy your trip to the Bay of Islands... awesome, man.

I hope to get some fishing done over there one of these days too.

Great read.

Must make more of an effort and actually plan a fishing trip the next time I head back to M'sia.

Thanks to your report, Kuala Rompin ranks quite high on my wish list now :)

Bung Sam Ran near Bangkok will probably have to wait a little. I thought of heading up there cos' they've got the giant mekong catfish and many fishing records have been made.

Here's the link http://www.fishthailand.co.uk/bungsamran_lake.html for during monsoon season :)

chaujern wrote:

Great read.

Must make more of an effort and actually plan a fishing trip the next time I head back to M'sia.

Thanks to your report, Kuala Rompin ranks quite high on my wish list now :)

Bung Sam Ran near Bangkok will probably have to wait a little. I thought of heading up there cos' they've got the giant mekong catfish and many fishing records have been made.

Here's the link http://www.fishthailand.co.uk/bungsamran_lake.html for during monsoon season :)

Hi chaujern, thanks!

You're right! you should try to make a trip to Kuala Rompin, especially when the Diamond Trevs season is right about now and will end in Apr/May. As for the Sailfish, it's between Aug till Nov...

Bung Sam Ran has got humongous fishes and great catches (although I've actually been there yet but I've got friends who have done the trip)...

Thanks for the link, it's a nice one...

I've got a link as well on one of the operators in Bangkok... check it out.. it's in our local fishing net...

Cheers, Jonathan

/>http://www.fishing.net.my/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19120

Archived