Nth Pine Dam 09/04/07

adventure_angler

Well set the alarm for 4am and was at Forgans Cove car park at 4:45. Was waiting in my car, in the pitch black for my mate to arrive. No cars or people were around obviously, until a lone car drove past. It then put its breaks on and reversed 100m back until it was in line with my car. Sat there for about 15 seconds looking at me, then began to drive off, phew I thought. But then it made a quick turn into the car park and drove up behind me parking me in. I had guard rails infront of me and the front of his car about 30cm's from my bumper. Oh shit, he got out and walked over to my passenger window and just looked in at me for a good 10 seconds (i obviously had the car locked and windows up) before saying \"wrong car mate\" and walking away. Scared the shit out of me as I was still half asleep and the fact that he parked me in let me know he wasnt just there for no reason.

Anyway after that little incident to wake me up my mate arrived 3 minutes later and we headed down the path to the dam.

Started flicking G-Vibes around while my mate and his friend threw some Jackalls out. After a few minutes things really fired up and my mates had each caught and released 2 bass. At this point I was starting to think I should really get some Jackalls, but then I got a big hit and line started running off my new reel at a fast rate. I went to tighten the drag slightly and *snap* the fish was gone. Couldnt believe it. I went a while without any fish after that with each of the guys I was with each catching 4 and 5 bass each overall. Most of these were about 25-30cm to the fork, but one of the bass went 45cm to the fork. Another one of the bass was tagged and after photos was quickly released. All were caught on Jackalls, except 1 or 2 which were caught on sp's. Finally I was on again and pulled in a 35cm fork length bass which put up a nice little fight to become the first fish caught on my new set-up. In between all this action i managed to hook-up with 4 really nice snags, losing 4 G-Vibes to the lake. Things really slowed down with no1 catching anything for about 45mins until I landed the last fish of the day, a 30cm fork bass.

Judging from the fight of all other fish caught today, the \"one that got away\" seemed much bigger, as I couldnt stop it from taking line from my reel. If only... :P

Called it a day and headed home covered in mud. Overall an eventful sunrise session.

-nelson-

Post edited by: adventure_angler, at: 2007/04/09 11:06

Yeh Brian, thats a good idea! I had my fishing knife on me, but i figured I was safe in my car because my plan was to chuck it in reverse and bail if he started anything. Then he parked me in and it got the heart pumping a bit.

With tagged fish, how do you go about looking up information regarding previous catches etc? What else can be found out about tagged fish?

-nelson-

• 2 weeks later...

The tags have an unique number and a 1`800 telephone number.When you ring them they wish to know the length of fish and where you caught it. They then look it up and tell you where it was tagged and its length when it was tagged. They also ask if you released it or kept it.

The writing on the tags is quite small and you usually have to give it a scraps to get the gunk off so you can read it. They send you a certificate in the mail in a couple of days time with the full fish history on it,

Ray

Archived