FINALLY.........Mangrove Jack!!!

Schilling

Finally landed my first mangrove jack!!!!

Finished work down at the gold coast around 9:30pm and with clear skies managed to hit up a new-ish spot for a fish. Got the trusty cast net out and first cast caught 2 small squid about 6cm. Put both squid out live with only small sinkers just to keep them bounceing along the the bootom with the incomming tide, hopefully towards the bridge and any structure below the water. Within secounds of the bait being out the sedona goes off.......... A little fight later pull in a dam stingray!!!!! Thinking the other bait was headed for the same fate i reeled it in to recast. Bait goes out and again within seconds my new stella goes screaming off!!!!!!! Ohh right!!!!! As soon as i grab the rod to strike the fish snages in the rocks.....****!!!!! Carefully trying not to break my light gear off managed to squeeze it free(Only had 4lb braid with 8lb mono leader)and not wanting to risk more snags pumped and wind like a mad man!!! To my surprise it was a mangrove jack(had been talking it up all week that i would catch one). It went 50cm head to tail and 1.7kg, soo stoked a night to remember!!!!!! After the jack, busted up the cast net in the rocks, screwed around with the lures but no luck so called it a night.

Where we fished was the east side of the Marine Pde bridge up at runaway Bay. If anyone else is fishing down Goldie some time give it a shot.... There was plenty of bait fish and plenty of surface boofs from some fish that didnt like my lures tonight!!!

Will try upload the pics from my phone. Good luck for everyone else.... Keep the lines tight!!!!!

23032010027_AFO.jpg

23032010024_AFO.jpg

24032010029_AFO.jpg

Thanks all...... I still cant believe my luck!!!! The light line is hell fun with the lures and smaller less brutal fish but dam my heart was pumping, spent maybe 10mins trying to easy it out of the snag. But patience paid off!!!!! Might take a bigger rod next time, just in case??!!

Def some of the more pro fisherman should try the spot out. Last week we caught plenty of pike(I think)and some barracuda on gold minnow lures about 5cm and small rapala skitter poppers in blue/orange!!! The biggest barracuda went 57cm. There is heaps of bait around too, got a 20cm squid in the cast net...Just watch the rocks close to the bridge and the rocks towards the ocean!!! Trust me once ur net gets caught here u only get to take parts of it home!!!! Looking on google earth at the mouth there looks to be some weed beds or rocky bottom next to the deeper channel so might try up there next time.....

Dont mind sharing spots as long as everyone just respects the environment, do the right thing take rubbish home and do a bit of catch and release. The AFO boys are really good, but some other anglers arnt. Last week these clowns were keeping undersized bream and chucking rubbish in the water we told them they were undersized but they said "who cares? no one will bust us, we always keep them this size?", so after we fished and put the gear in the car ran back down and whilst these other fishermen were down the beach we tipped the bucket full of under 20cm fish into the water and bailed!!! hahaha FREEDOM!!!

Keep up the good work and fill us in if you have some luck down the gold coast...Tight lines.

Archived