Kedron Brook Floodway 9th April - Kayaks

Angus

As planned the Yakking Expedition of Kedron Brook Floodway and Shultz Canal commenced (for me anyway) at about 9:00am Monday the 9th 2007.

Some of the other lads from both AKFF and AFO had commenced quite a bit earlier and headed downstream from the boat ramp. However the wind had picked up heavily and not a lot was caught from what I heard. Ill let the lads who went out add their captures.

After a quick G’day and a rest for the early starters at the ramp we were heading up the creek. It was not long before Wayne D was onto something good with a Soft Plastic. After a brief but tough fought fight right on the mangrove fringe a nice 65cm Flathead was boated. After a couple of quick pictures the old girl was released.

Not long after Wayne’s hookup Ash was onto a fish as well using a CK40 look-alike lure from the Tinnie and Tackle Show. Turned out to be a nice little 24cm Bream. About 1 min later and Ash was onto a second Bream of about the same size on the same lure! Go the fakes!

I rounded the next bend to see James fighting a nice fish. Another Flathead of about 45-50cm. I was beginning to get that “everyone is catching fish but me feeling” so I opted to change lures. After seeing Ash catch the two bream in quick succession I decided on a CK40 which had done well for me in the past. My next cast resulted in my personal favourite trademark, fresh lure = 1 cast-1fish. Yeah baby. Just before I had it back to my feet a nice 25cm bream snatched it and went for a run. My bad streak had been broken!

In the 5 mins I also landed a great looking Dusky Flathead about 45cm long. This fish had the nicest tail marking I have seen on a dusky with a perfect black circle. By this time we felt like a break and pulled into a bank were we noticed Terry pulling in yet another 45cm flatty. We all had a few flicks around here and Ash, James and Myself all managed some bream including my personal best on a lure at 32cm.

On the trip home James managed several small Tailor and another flatty while Terry got another couple of small bream and a tailor. Matthew also managed to snare a Sand Crab on hard body. I haven’t seen that before! The crab had actually grabbed the lure as it was bouncing along the bottom.

We arrived back the ramp at about 3:30 suitably stuffed. All in all a great day though with a very good number of fish caught. Great to meet some other Yakkers as well.

I will post pics as soon as I upload them.

Good fishing!

Angus

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/04/10 11:43

Got on the water at 6:30 this morning with John, Alex and Chris from AKFF. Headed toward the mouth of the river and up Jacksons Creek. Managed to get a toadfish on a popper, a first for me. Then changed over to SP's and got two bream in quick succession. Didn't measure the first one but the second one was just shy of 30cm, a new PB for me. Headed back towards ramp and said goodbye to Chris who was calling it quits and John and Alex had already given it away.

I could see Angus and his crew from AFO ahead of me so I decided to give up the canals a go. Paddled for an eternity into the wind and caught up with them whilst they were having a break. We carried on up the canals struggling into the wind still until we reached a relatively sheltered part of the creek where they began tossing HB's and I was on a SP.

It didn't take long before my 3\" gulp podgy was inhaled by a nice 61cm flattie. Managed to net him and was very lucky that he didn't saw through my 10lb leader. So that made the trip worth it.

Not long after one of the guys got two breambo's in quick succession, they were followed up by a flathead, another bream and another flathead.

By this time we were a fair way up the canal and had a rest on the bank for a bit. Threw lures off the bank for a while but then I decided to call it quits and head home for the day.

On the way back I was trolling my little SX40 and it got smashed by another nice 61cm flattie. Two good flathead in one trip, this is unheard of for me!!!!! This one took a bit to get in to the net as I had drifted into the mangroves and could not use my rod to manouvre him. After releasing her I cast out the lure again and started up the troll.

About 15 mins later I managed a small chopper tailor on the SX40 but that was it for me. I was so happy to get back to the ramp. That would be one of the longest trips I have done in the yak. I got off the water at 2:30PM. 8 hours paddling and 15.24 kms according to Google Earth, my arms are sooo tired.

All in all a great day was had and glad I didn't pull the pin at 10 AM when Chris left me. A new spot found and I'll probably be back there again.

I will have to resize my images later tonight as they are too big to fit.

Post edited by: WayneD, at: 2007/04/10 10:12

yeah, it was very much worth fighting the wind to get there!

I'm thinking about taking my river rat up there soonish.

Good day all in all. love to get some cod next time though. And a flathead, i seem to be the only one who didnt get a flattie!:lol:

beautiful place though, and you couldnt describe a more fishier looking place!

Thanks for the day out, and big thanks to jimmy who once again lent me his yak!

Ash: Lets go to the sand bank over there...... :P

Na, was a nice day boys, paddling back from a few km out was a pain in the arse though! (I'm sure James will mention that!)

What was everyones tally?

Terry 2 flatties 2 bream 2 tailor 1 toadfish

Ash 18 jelly fish. :laugh:

Thanks for the Pics Wayne.

Hahaha Feral, you know Ash has dabbled in the dark side for a while :P

Lozzel, mate i was dissapointed i was working the edges all after some cod but no luck :(

Jordan: Im not sure that anyone tried the old Poltergistes???

Angus

heres some pics i took on the trip...it was a big day paddling around...so big..that a trip to the physio was taken and i was told that i have torn part of a tendon in my arm..ouch:pinch: so yakkin is out for me for a little while now:S ...anyways here some pics....heres the first flatty of the day [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-417ce697a11d2ba9995aa5cc6d65b1ef.JPG

post-180-14459841166_thumb.jpg

Cmon james, we all know it gave me a run for my money:p

Edit: actually, james, I think I have a photo you'll like. Remember when I was trying to take a photo of that lure? HMmmm I think I captured it! I'll post a pic tomorrow

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/04/13 20:56

Archived