Sign in to follow this  
Do$tylz

Good Friday Runaway Bay Canals

Hey All,

Took the boat out on Good Friday and decided to tackle some new terrain. The Runaway Bay canals looked good on Google Maps. My brother piked on me the night before, so it was just myself and Kiara up at my house at 4am ready to head out. It was the first time for me towing a boat, taking it out without someone with prior local boating experience (Tomca, Gus etc), putting the boat in and taking it out. I will say.. did it all like a pro

Please login or register to view this image

Anyway... our idea for the day was to test the waters and see how we would have gone if we had entered the ABT that was on that day down the Goldy as well. Got onto the water maybe 45minutes too late for the early top water action but we got onto them anyway. A short hour of topwater we had heaps of hits with only one hookup and landing going to me. Measured in at 33cm and was well built. As usual, we thought it would be an awesome day.

Some big boofs and a big unknown that had Adrians popper a foot in the air, eventually the top water action died down... and so did everything else. We tied and tried everything. Hardbodies galore and a good mix of plastics thrown in could not raise consistent bites. Adrian had his knots tested by a big unknown.... I think it was his knot that failed... he thinks it was a bite off. We did get to watch a local feed his pet bream with leftovers.. so at least we knew they were there... just not calling to our bag of tricks.

Tried for a short drift along the seaway wall... man it was packed out there. I hooked up to a flattie but couldn’t land it with the bogas... I’ve been too lazy to get my net from Tomca.

Went back into the canals had a quick lunch break at the local fish and chip shop and we were back at it. I downed my presentation to these tiny as jig heads and a 2†wriggler. Got hits and hookups, and landed a few smaller bream and a couple of legals.

Ended up with a bag of 4... so we maybe would been top 10 if we were lucky...more likely 15... oh well. More practice and I think I’ll be ready for these comps next year.

Took a few pics... man I need a new lens. Macro shots all the time gets a bit restrictive.

Cheers mate

the boat used to belong to one of our members here on AFO (BigTez). I love it.

Yeah I did use the lox. Its AWESOME. Loads up very well and is soo light. I took out 3 rods and my 1-3kg shimano raider bream finesse felt so heavy and cumbersome. Great action for very small topwater hardbodies like px45's and towadi's.

Zim man wrote:

nice report henry, looks like it was a good day weather wise as well. there must have been a fair few people around as well

The canals were actually pretty quiet. But out in the Seaway it was packed. It was sweet seeing some of the pimp skeeters and stuff out on the water. By the looks of it though, everyone had a tough day as well.

Nice report Henry, it sounds as though it was tough all round last weekend. I suspect that part of the problem was that there were so many extra people on the water for Easter that the fish said "what the funk" and just shut down. That my excuse anyway.

So comps next year? Sounds very enticing.

Nice work Henry!

We fished similar areas to you in the comp and struggled big time! Kendall got a nice jack though.

You should have entered. 33cm bream is a great fish. Would have been one of the biggest for the comp

Scope wrote:

Great report mate, sounds like you're loving the new toothpick! Was your boat always that colour???

Cheers Jono

haha.. mate its definitely a toothpick but man its awesome. No idea what the original colour was. I'm guessing silver

Jeryl - yep. px45 did the job....finally getting stuff on top-water. Adrian was trying t-pivots, dog-x jnrs and maybe some others and didn't get too much attention. Plus he was casting like a beginner and catching the pontoon and boats a lot

fisherjack - usually its 2 asian blokes pushing it back up the driveway

nah its a 25hp tohatsu and a 55lb leccy.

Great sesh guys sounds like you had a bit of fun. Dont know if you were fishing dead end canals or not but I always find they surface fish better for bream than the open ones. Why wait another year? you can always enter as a non boater this year and learn the tricks of the trade. I hesitated in competing in my 1st abt comp and after it was finished I was spewing I didn't start fishing them earlier. You learn so much from the weekend whether you smack the fish or not, you meet some great people and form great friendships.

:)

Do$tylz wrote:

Cheers nabs... just looked at the results and saw your placing.. jeez. I thought it was a tough day. Good to know that I can compete at the level of the regulars.

We'll have to head out for a fish sometime mate.

Sounds good mate, it was definitely tough. A lot of the guys that got there bags only just scraped 5. Didnt hear of anyone smashing the fish.. Tough time of the year for the breams on the goldy i think.

Silly question- But do you tow the boat with the honda?