Glass or Tinnie

daveylad

I am going to be looking for a new boat soon and have been looking at the Tournement 2000 Bluewater and Haines Traveller TC200 Boats both are fibreglass my understanding is that they are a better ride than tinnies and quiter can someone who owns a glass boat give me some advice or anyone who knows these boats

Davey

Once you go to a glass boat you wont go back to a tin boat they ride so much better, I have a builders back and had to get out of my stacer bow rider andgot myself a good glass boat and never looked back. Yes the cost more and cost more to run than a pressed ally boat but we find that we use it more just because it rides so good you are not so weather dependent. If you want to go for a ride one day just sing out

I was looking at the Tournement 2000 Bluewater when I was in the market for a new boat as the are the old Mustang and are not bad value for money, I looked at the traveler but found it a bit pokey insid for my liking but one of the guys I work with has one and loves it

daveylad wrote:

Thanks Azza never thought of the back I'm the same knackered back so thats a good point do you have to do anything to keep the glass in good nick or just keep it under canvass cover?

Dave

People say that glass boats are harder to look after and that ally boats can be treated rougher, but I have found it no harder to look after than a painted hull I beach mine all the time and just keep it washed and out of the sun when stored same as I did with my ally boat

hi

Davey

i agree with the other boys (glass is better)

glass does sit in the water much better due to them being heavier

i just recently sold my boat which was a 6.25 Yalta :angry:

it was bigger in the rear end.its more fishing orientated than cruising but you could sleep in it overnight comfortably

looking at those boats they seem a little small on the fishing side of it

then it all depends on what you want to do when you get out there and how many mates you take

then you have to look at the tow capacity of your car

hope this helps

all the best with what ever you buy

regards

col

just be very careful when buying, because it's a newish boat, does not mean it will ride any better than older models, some models just hit the nail on the head.and are the best configuration, even if 20 year old, some still ride a lot better than the new ones.

rob

more info ????

launching yourself ?

What sort of ramps ?

rivers / bay etc ?

storage situation ?

I sold a glass boat and boat a tinny because it was easier to launch solo , the local ramp has no sand to beach it on and i can just hose it out and not worry about polishing etc .

Can use the driveway again now i got a boat that fits in the carport

More suited to what i want but each to their own :cheer:

great to get this imput, I have just been to look at a Tournement 2000 (6.1metre) you are right about it being a bit small for fishing, the wife loved it Great cabin size and driving room but small at the back end where the fishing is done Totally agreed, Had a quick look at an Ally plate plenty of room )6.1 metre) for fishing I would just need to convince the missus that we can dress it up for her days out on Noosa river, The salesman mentioned the beaching with fibreglass so something to think about hopefully next week I will get out and look at some more boats so if anyone has any ideas I'm glad for the advice

Can't comment on stessl coastrunner but have a stessl bluewater. Stessl blue waters are good bang for buck boats but there are definitely softer riding plate boats out there but at a lot more $$$ i.e. barcrusher.

Have never been let down by my stessl in terms of ruggedness or seaworthiness but can be a bit harsh on the back in sharp chop.

I fish dams alot and chose a glass Kevlacat over an ally boat solely for stealth. My little 10ft boat is silent on the water when closing in on the toga and surface bass. Fishing out of Den's 16 foot blue fin on Borumba you could hear the water slapping on the sides all day, and fish are smart, but with the boat you are after this is probably irrelevant :blush: me shut up now

I've heard you have to be quiet, You dont wear cams as well do you?,

I must admit I like the idea of a glass boat like the Cruisecraft, Tournemant& Haines Traveller but they look more like a cruising boat than one I could use for cruising and fishing with more than 3 people, will look at the Kevlacat

yeah its a tricky decision on which way to go ay.I ve been down this road.

things that I looked for in lrge boats vary. your not going to get the best of both hulls roled into one.

fishing deck room. -cabin space -helm space and dash layout for large or multiple screen monitors that wont obstruct vision.-glass boats I think have better dash configuration.ally plate boat dashes seem a bit bland and missing that glimmer that catches the eye but you can modify a ally plate boats helm and dash layout alot easier than a glass one.

the hull you choose can determain what motor you will need to get.Try to look for a hull with a 17deg or more dead rise to achieve that nice ride in bad chop.the higher the degree of the hull the more HP will be needed to get the hull on the plane.The higher the HP the higher the fuel consumption.so look at hulls that have reverse chines or a planing plank incorporated in the hull design this will assist the lift of the hull and requires a lot less HP to motivate the hull.

benifits of a plate boat is there a lot lighter for towing.

compare the wieght and overall size of a glass boat to that of a plate boat same weight.Its a hell of a lot of boat more that you get with a plate.

what noname said about how some hulls just dont cut it is very true.

You should take azzas offer up.Its a fantastic glass hull and should set the bench mark for the ride of that of a glass boat.

how ever if you would like a ride in a large plate boat to compare......well there nothing to compare glass kicks ar$e there is an offer here too.

mick

No problem at all mine is a whitley 650 sea legend like I was saying I was looking for a mustang but there was not a new one or 2nd hand one anywhere, was looking at a cruisecraft but could not get what I wanted for my budget, then this Sea legend popped up at the right price and could not say no. It has delivered the best of both worlds for us it can be a full on cruiser for the family and in five mins it can be turned into a fishing boat for way off shore with the boys. I will proberly be going over to Tangers with the family on Sat and I will be down at scarbrough on sunday doing my VHF licence (thought it was about time)we may be able to slip out for a run on Sun some time

Archived