Outside

1800amix

G'day,

A question for you guys that venture outside. ie, offshore fishing, not just outside your house ;-)

What size boat/setup do you recommend for fishing outside?

I'm sure some experienced blokes would go out in just about anything but would be interested in what you guys would suggest as a sensible starting point to going outside.

Thanks,

Amix

Mate I am going through the same as you 6 months ago I bought a 4.85 amberjack stessco, good boat with plenty of beam and draught but I wouldnt venture out in it in any winds over 10knots, I am now selling it and looking at a 6metre to 6.5 metre boat, that is the sizes I would look at nothing under 5.85 depending on the boat make, In Victoria no boat under 5 metres is allowed outside

Daveylad

depends on a few things really, are you crossing a bar???? if you are, i would suggest a rig of no smaller than 17 foot! or 5.2 mtrs, with i might add the max size motor, yeah it can be done in smaller rigs, but what about the time you get the tides wrong or the bom does and your still miles offshore, and it starts to really howl 50 km out there, thats when you want a good hull with heaps of power, as sometimes you just get caught out, in the most hihious of conditions, that you normally would't be out there in, and example is of when some guys got this idea into their head to hit up the barwon banks, late last year or early this year, their trip out there was fine, and it picked up, but they were onto nice fish and thought 1 more drop, way to many times, and completely lost it, these idiots were in a rig to small for way out there, at that time. approx 45 km out, took them over 4.5 hours to get back, when it normally takes less than an hour from where they were. the boat in question was easily capable of handling offshore conditions on a perfect day, but other than that, no way. the boat was 4.7- 4.75 with a 75 out back. i believe only those that think they have enough experience will get into trouble. because you won't beat the sea. ever!

yeps 17 foot / 5.2 meters and up i reckon and with good hp .

definitely not just the min hp recommended but the max or close to the max.

good freeboard is a must .

around 19 foot /5.79 meters with 150 hp around that size and hp ,with good freeboard .

that's what i feel comfortable in ,for out side .

i know people who go or have gorn out in smaller boats 15 /16 foot 4.57 / 4.87 meters.

they are experienced but still hang in close ,and only on good days .

but even they know if its turn to **** ,no matter how much experience its going to be a **** fight home .

most of them have changed to bigger boats or only go out once a year or so with a few other boats with them .

Yeah I have a 17ft 5.2 yalta with 120 hp evinrude but I think it will still be quite sometime before I take it out offshore as much as I would like to do it right now, I just dont think I have enough experience at the moment and Ive been driving boats around the bay for the last 7 years....lol

Ive been out in the bay on bad days and thats been scary enough for me, let alone being out 50klms in the open ocean....lol But one day I will....cheers Beejay

outside doesn't mean you have to go 30 miles off shore like the reefs i've been to over the last 2 weeks they are within 2 nautical miles from the beach and are in reach of a 14foot tinnie on a good day and have some quility fish on them if you know when and how. what places are you thinking of fishing as it will help with the advice on choice of boat ?

mark

Beejay,

If you have experienced the bay on a bad day you will have zero worries heading offshore. First few trips pick a location with no bar crossing, pick a day with a perfect forecast 0-10knots and don't head out before sunrise your first time and you will find it a breeze.

IMHO in 15-20knot winds the northern bay is far worse than outside.

Sounds like you have far more boating experience than me but you are welcome to tag along offshore next trip to get a feel for it.

Dom

Yeah I agree with dhess,15/20 blow in the bay is way worse than out side,short sharp swells makes it uncomfy

My boats 17 ft with a 115 on the back and I go out to where tuggers talking about with ease..And that was my first bar xing i've made,but I done it easily thanks to advise from tugger and being shown how.

I think the main factor is,convindence in ur self and ur vessel,if u have doubts do go.

Thanks for the insight.

I'd say from the comments, more than the usual 1/3 (planned trip) fuel reserve would be a must in case you get stuck.

While I'm really enjoying my 15ft at the moment, I'm already looking to upgrade and hopefully to something I can keep for a while, (got the go ahead from the boss but doubt that will happen as easily next time LOL), so to consider some of the things I would like to do in the future will help me with a decision on what to buy.

The runabout is great for the bay and for such an old boat, I'm really impressed with it, but I'm already doing a lot of overnight fishing and a cabin room would be shweet to grab a few hours in the early morning.

So far I'm thinking about 19ft glass half cabin with about a 150hp would keep me out of trouble for a while. I'd feel confident enough to launch and retrieve this by myself etc.

Hey amix Iv'e had my 4.2 qunni in the bay out through the gold coast see way but like it been said before you need to use your head.By picking your day and keeping 1 eye one the weather you can go almost where you want if your looking for somthing larger mate this will be my up grade http://www.hookerboats.com/hooker_5m_pro_fisherman.html so ggod luck.

cheers dassa

Archived