The Place to be

lt obvious

It was Monday night, and Dan and I set off for what was, unfortunately, our first and last session for the holidays. We had four and a half hours to make up for all the fishing we didn't do on the holidays, and the clock was ticking!!

Dan put it nicely when he said 'We always choose the best day to go fishing' - it was trying to rain, trying to shine, and halfway between hot and cold - in other words, miserable.

We headed to Mt Crosby, and started flicking. Dan was using 6lb braid with an 8lb mono leader, flicking around a squidgy flickbait in bloodworm. I was using 6lb mono, and switching between 65 and 80mm wrigglers in bloodworm.

We were doing this for about an hour, when Dan got the first hit - a nice flatty from in the calm water. Unlucky for him, it got off just before he could land it. We kept flicking for another half hour, maybe, and we got absolutely no hits!

It was getting to the point where I was incredibly bored, and resorted to throwing rocks over the river. Just as I was getting my eye in, Dan struck again! Again, it was a flatty - this time, however, it was an absolute monster!!

SANY0146.jpg

W-O-W

SANY0147.jpg

Right through the lip!

A quick measure showed that this creature of the deep was easily in the mid 50s. This kick-started my motor, and got right back into the water. I started flicking my wriggler, and, after about half a dozen casts, was rewarded with a nice little lizard.

SANY0149.jpg

The name's Bont. James Bont

We were both pretty happy with these catches, Dan more so than me (understandably). We moved around to attack the pool from a different angle. This is where the fishing really heated up!

Almost immediately, Dan got himself another nice little flatty, unfortunately, we didn't measure this one, but it was still a good fish. The count was now 2-1 in Dan's favour. I really had to get catching!

SANY0151.jpg

It was not turning out to be my day, or rather, it was Dan's, as he was quickly rewarded with a bass. A quick guesstimation saw it at about 30cms. Still a great effort, and put up a great fight, that, even though I wasn't in control of the rod, was evident from the amount of drag being ripped off the reel!

SANY0152.jpg

SANY0154.jpg

At this time, I was dutifully taking photos and making videos, so after I took that one, I raced to the water's edge in an attempt to get my lure in the water, because it seemed that whoever put the bait in the water, got the results.

Luckily, this time, at any rate, it was me. I was flicking my wriggler just outside some rapids, when I felt a massive hit. I thought this was a little fish, and the only reason it was pulling off drag was because it was set so loosely. It took a bit of effort to bring in the fish, and once I could see it through the murk, I was amazed! My first bass, and it was a pretty decent size!

SANY0157.jpg

SANY0158.jpg

Again, a guesstimation was all that was on offer, and we think, maybe, 40cms. Still, it put up a great fight. I checked my drag afterwards, and was pleasantly surprised by the fact that my drag was quite tight, and I was lucky not to get snapped off!

Dan put in a final surge with half an hour to go, and bagged himself a nice tarpon, about the same size as the bass. The thing was jumping like crazy, and putting up a nice show.

SANY0160.jpg

SANY0161.jpg

The day was great - I put it at probably the best session I've had... ever... From my perspective, my partner in crime seemed pretty ecstatic as well. Fish of the Day goes to Dan for his ridiculous Flatty - Very Nice!!

Cheers,

Richard

EDIT - I'm really sorry about the sideways photos. I would have changed them, but I had already uploaded them. Next time will be different, I promise ;)

Archived