Yak advice please

crazywalrus

Hi guys - I got a NPD permit and now i need a boat or yak to use. To hard to take the motor off my current boat.

Can you guys give me your opinion on a good yak. I am around 100 to 105kg and want something that can comfortably carry me and the gear. Also how many of u guys use electric motors or should I try and work off some of this beer and paddle :P

Your advice will be muchly appreciated.

Dusky wrote:

See the guys from Viking mate they have a great range and can do a great price , My mate just picked one up off Ebay for $900, it was a Viking Nemo 2+1, with Paddle seats and trolley, bloody bargain.

Cheers

Yeah they're not a bad yak - My mate has one that we fish out of, great for 2 or very roomy for 1

Carton of rum and a couple of pizzas should produce a pretty good 'yak'....... ok ok, my attempt at humour!

I have a paddle yak which I have used a couple of times and is ok to fish from. But at Monduran last November I got to fish from a peddle yak and I have to say what a pleasure they are to to use. Easy to move around, can cover ground with some good speed, and as Kreel said have both hands free for whatever you are doing at the time!

My next yak will be a peddle!

Simple to answer with the info you have provided...a Hobie outback , its a peddle yak , great capacity , large storage areas , etc etc etc...check the hobie website and see the closest dealer , you won't be disappointed...and whenever you decide to sell in the future - they hold their value amazingly well...

I would recomend a hobie outback aswell. I picked mine up last week from adventure outlet down at broadwater GC. They are an excellent fishing platform with plenty off storage and space for odds and sods on either side of the seat, they are also fairly light to lift onto the car.

IMG_0103.jpg

This is with out the seat installed, but you can see the storage space.

And another basic top view...

newyak2.jpg

Hi guys - thanks so much for the advice - a lot to ponder. The Hobie kayaks seem to be fairly popular. I am going to pop into the stores and have a look.

It is so hard to make a decision as there is not one that will do everything i want it to do. (kids and single)

Nice looking kayak keen-as, i bet you have been enjoying it the last couple of weeks. Thanks for the photos. Will give the boys on the gold coast a call.

Appreciate it cheers Ted

The hobie is a great yak, I have one myself and absolutly love it. They are not cheap $2300 for the outback unless you can get one secondhand.

You also have to allow for extras like sounder, rod holders and upgradeed fins so it is easy to spend lots.

All I can say is do some research and try and go for a test ride on a few or also look for secondhand ones

I have a Hobie as well, but I think you may want to heed Tacklebox's advice and look into canoes if you want to take children out with you. The Native Watercaft canoes (that BigTez suggested) might be worth a look, they have a pedal system and I think they are a canoe which would allow you the flexibility to take rug rats. In short look around, you'll get some more incites at AKFF and KFDU sites as well.

Good luck.

I have been looking at the canoes as well after bigtez and tacklebox suggested it. They do seem a good option if i want to fish with the rugrats. I think they would be difficult on your own however as Tomca points out. Maybe i need two rigs. As a kid i used o kayak and fish in Tinaroo dam all the time. would like to get back to it. Thanks guys for your suggestions

• 2 weeks later...

I love fishing from my kayak and have a great time but I found it a very selfish past time with 3 boys between 8 and 12 who love their fishing too. :unsure:

I ended up buying the kids a second yak and now they take turns coming out with me. It is fantastic fun and now a hell of a lot more family friendly. :woohoo:

Viking will look after your needs if you want a paddle yak and from what you're saying I think a tempo with a lecky might suit you very well. you can also get a double tempo with a lecky too ;)

Kev

I love fishing from my kayak and have a great time but I found it a very selfish past time with 3 boys between 8 and 12 who love their fishing too. :unsure:

I ended up buying the kids a second yak and now they take turns coming out with me. It is fantastic fun and now a hell of a lot more family friendly. :woohoo:

Viking will look after your needs if you want a paddle yak and from what you're saying I think a tempo with a lecky might suit you very well. you can also get a double tempo with a lecky too ;)

Kev

Archived