Charter tomorrow

Old Scaley

Heading out on a charter tomorrow morning. Going out with Odyssey Charters from Mooloolaba. Never been out with these guys before, so I will report in and let you know how we go. Taking the camera so probably won't get onto anything decent. Could be a bit joggly, so fair chance the numbers fishing will decline as the day goes on and the boat turns into the vomitron.

Quick update on this charter. Started the day with wind blowing a good 15 knots and it couldn't make up its mind which direction it wanted to blow from. This made the trip out to Barwon Banks a bit uncomfortable as there were lots of waved standing up with big holes behind them. Credit to Adam the skipper for persevering and getting out there when the easy thing to do would be fish the close in reefs. Unbelievably, no-one produced any burley all day, despite the conditions.

Ended up being a pretty good day with 78 keepers between 10 of us - red throat, cod, parrot, wrasse, moses perch and sea bream. Heaps more undersized fish released, including coral trout and red emperor.

Overall, I would recommend the charter as the skipper worked hard and seems to be good bloke who knows his trade. Boat is a bit on the small side if you wanted to take 12 people (his maximum), but not too bad for 10 and he is thinking of buying a bigger boat later this year. Not too good with camera, but I have attached a couple of photos for your viewing pleasure. P1000291_AFO.jpg Some of the catch

All in all a great day - especially since it was a work day for most people :laugh: This is what I took home. The cod is for a neighbourhood BBQ tomorrow. Fresh red throat for tonight :woohoo: :woohoo:

P1000296_AFO.jpg

Thanks for reading. Hope this is useful to others looking for charters from the sunshine coast.

Malcolm wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:
those are some big ass bream there!

looks like a day well spent, thanks for sharing.

rocket

Yeah how big would those Bream be?

Most of the bream were around 35 - 38cm, and they were around in their hundreds. Bit of a curse really, hitting the baits before any of the preferred species could get a look in. Still, beats pulling up grinner and other vermin.

We did catch 2 small pearlies and 1 small squire. I was surprised too, especially the snapper. The skipper told me that the snapper were on the closer reefs, and he said that he expected the bigger ones to come out wider once we have a cold snap.

Most of the fishing was in 45 - 50 metres, but we did move to 60 metres when the weather settled a bit after lunch.

good haul of fish mate.

i went out to the banks today and caught heaps of those bream aswell. did they have black dot markings on them? if so there iodine bream and there no good for eating.

we didn't land anything decent either but we got a feed.

cheers.

Archived