St Lucia Again - 23-04-10

Angus

Well after missing the chance to have a flick with 51MPL this morning I was really itching for a lure flick.

Anyway after my last lecture it was home time but not before a 30 minute flick (always take my rod and a few lures now :P).

Anyway 30 minutes = 1 Bream and 1 lure donated to the Rock Gods (not to mistaken with the gods of rock.

All in all better than just riding home!

Angus

. 1-20100423.jpg

post-63-144598522171_thumb.jpg

I have been trying a lot of different spots this was at old faithful though.

The lure is a Yo Zuri Hardcore so not tecnically a cheapy. Kiara might recognise it :P

Not mono either but maroon braid. I honestly down know what brand as it was spooled when I bought it. I will ask Dan23 to comment... Its lovely braid though but then I would expect nothing from Dan :)

All the bream I have caught there in the last 3 weeks (about 12) have been on lures 60mm or bigger so they are not shy. This was one of the smaller models on Bream at about just under legalish.

51PML has been having good success on smaller ones as well though.

There are so many jelly prawns around there at the moment smaller lures might well be worth a better crack.

Angus

If there are a few jelly prawns around, might pay to try a prawn imitation topwater like those released from ecogear for the breambos. Last time I saw numbers of small prawns, it was near Yamba in NSW and my only topwater lure I had (A stiffy popper) lasted all of 2 minutes and 3 casts before being destroyed by a blue nose bandit

Mr FeLiX wrote:

If there are a few jelly prawns around, might pay to try a prawn imitation topwater like those released from ecogear for the breambos. Last time I saw numbers of small prawns, it was near Yamba in NSW and my only topwater lure I had (A stiffy popper) lasted all of 2 minutes and 3 casts before being destroyed by a blue nose bandit

The water in the location fished literally flows like white watewr rapids on anything but the slack tides.

Topwater, especially light top water would be literally impossible to achieve.

Ill get a photo of the flow next time.

Angus

Gw man I was at 'b' this morning.. Donated that same hb I was using with you to the rocks, so annoying. They'd follow and tap tap but I couldn't hookup.. Perfectly sitting in the eddies, few surface boofs so swithed to popper for nothing. Back on plastics for no fish but I had 3/4 dark shapes follow the lure into the shallw water where my flick made the lure come to the surface n I spotted them, secs go back next week.

Oh and I gotta ask u bout colour for those ecogears think I found right one.

Pps - did u hit it on low tide today?

Hey mate i was wondering how do you transport your gear to uni?

car? or do you hold it on the bus or train cause im planning to carry it on the bus/ train :lol:

also do you know any places in uni that has like a storage compartment so then i can just store my gear instead of carrying it every day :P

qbkami wrote:

car? or do you hold it on the bus or train cause im planning to carry it on the bus/ train :lol:

also do you know any places in uni that has like a storage compartment so then i can just store my gear instead of carrying it every day :P

Mate I actually have a two piece Lemax Red Sword.

I leave the reel on and collapse the rod.

As I ride to uni I put them in a back pack where I also have all my books and a tackle tray with a selection of lures.

I get a few funny looks going into lectures with a rod sticking out my pack but meh, so worth it.

Angus

51MPL wrote:

Gw man I was at 'b' this morning.. Donated that same hb I was using with you to the rocks, so annoying. They'd follow and tap tap but I couldn't hookup.. Perfectly sitting in the eddies, few surface boofs so swithed to popper for nothing. Back on plastics for no fish but I had 3/4 dark shapes follow the lure into the shallw water where my flick made the lure come to the surface n I spotted them, secs go back next week.

Oh and I gotta ask u bout colour for those ecogears think I found right one.

Pps - did u hit it on low tide today?

Nice man sounds like decent fround you found.

Mate its the first time I have been there on the top of an incoming tide.

So the water was moving over those rocks opposite to the other times we have been there.

ANgus

Ah! ahah you just gave me an idea :P ill just put my rod into one of my drawing tubes and carry it around :) all good now just need to get my gear together hehe, have you tired fishin in the lakes?! I went fishin in the lake last year with some hand line and bread :laugh: just to try it out and yeah i caught those big eels ( catch and release of course) there are a couple of eel tail catfish in there as well as some 30cm koi/gold fish.

Hi Angus, would you mind share where u fish in UQ? I found that most of the shoreline is surrounded by mangrove that is not easily assess. Or u fish the west end side?

Just get yourself a travel rod. I hv several 4 pieces rod including baitcasting, spinning and fly rod. Collapsed length in around 60cm, partner with a small reel, grab some softy or the fly box, then u can go every where. I actually do put them inside my bag and sometimes carry to UQ, and no one knows what's inside. :P

Mostly I use my UL spinning trout rod, with a 1000size reel and 4lb braid for this purpose. The feeling that even you hook a smallie in the Brissie river is great like fighting a monster. :laugh:

Well..., someone may say that 4 piece is not better that 2 piece, and 2 is not better than one. But I havent found any problem yet with my 4 piece. For sure you wont bring a UL 4 piece trout rod targetting monster jewie, so as long as you wont, it will not easily be broken. :laugh:

My baitcasting in fact goes up to 16lb, but I seldom use it as I think it is usually too strong. :S

There is a lot of ground at UQ to fish mate, personally i've only tried 2 spots and Angus has tried more but just by looking on google-map i see a lot of rockbars etc that u can just hop onto - next to the big walking track around whole campus

Angus wrote:

qbkami wrote:

Mate I actually have a two piece Lemax Red Sword.

I leave the reel on and collapse the rod.

As I ride to uni I put them in a back pack where I also have all my books and a tackle tray with a selection of lures.

I get a few funny looks going into lectures with a rod sticking out my pack but meh, so worth it.

Angus

Eh mate I bet its nothing compared to walkin into a lecture with a 1 piece 7ft rod :)

Archived