moreton bay

mangrove jack

Side Scan rob ?

Speaking of Bars, was around the tweed bar in the yak today and after all the hype i have heard about that bar...well......i have seen more dangerous bath tubs..........

How big is your boat rob ? those are some decent lumps of H2O there.....

yoyo wrote:

Side Scan rob ?

Speaking of Bars, was around the tweed bar in the yak today and after all the hype i have heard about that bar...well......i have seen more dangerous bath tubs..........

Wait and see what it is like with a decent swell on an outgoing tide.

Is that a 685 outsider?

Oh and your going to have a very, bumpy wet ride in that sized boat on Sunday. Save it for a better day unless the forecast drastically imroves.

Travis wrote:

Sould be ok early morning ESE 10 kts... dunno about the way home tho.... seabreeze LIES!!!!

YEp and when seabreeze lies it tell some whoppers. All too often 10-15knot all day seabreeze forecasts end up blowing 25-30.

Also, even at only 10 knots heading into the wind in a 4.2m pressed aluminium boat is going to be very uncomfortable.

yeah i don't think any weather in a 420 is comfortable. anyway headed to jacobs well instead. to the pin and around the mouth of jacobs well channel. got 4 good flathead will post some pics and a few whiting and bream which we threw back. not a bad morning. without the sore back from moreton bay swell. heaps of boats on the water when i came back in

dhess wrote:

yoyo wrote:
Side Scan rob ?

Wait and see what it is like with a decent swell on an outgoing tide.

Is that a 685 outsider?

Oh and your going to have a very, bumpy wet ride in that sized boat on Sunday. Save it for a better day unless the forecast drastically imroves.

yeah dom it's a 685 cruisie outsider, had to do a rescue in it todat in the bar at 5.30 am this mornin

1 of the lads in the fishin club i'm in. we all got ready to cross the bar, life jackets etc, club rule reguardless. and off we went mid way through the bar, we ventured left as we had noticed waves starting to stand up, and buggar me out of no where, 1 did

it would have been 3.5 mtrs ans straight up, with about a mtr and a half of breaking white water on top. i sh!t, i kid you not,the boat went to verticle, and beyond that point. i thought for sure i was goin swimmin, but to my surprise as we crossed the same wave, further to the left, we we sighted the boat, it was floating and could see movement, also another monster wave heading for them, all be it they were facing the wrong way, as if comming back in through the bar, with no motor we got rope sorted out quick smart

tried to communicate with the boat, which we kinda could as the radio was breaking up, ah the boat was half full of water,luckily he had instinct enough to hit the bilge pump on landing, like i mean this boat had 3 mtrs of air below the motor in the verticle position.we ended up going back quickly attaching a rope

and towing him back through the bar to where he could throw out the pick, and calls to vmr were made with all relevant details.

before you start with all the questions

i know the skipper of this boat, and you could not get a more experienced skipper, after speaking with him later in the day, he replied there was nothin he could have done, and i tend to agree with him, only being for us being out there the day before, we just thought it might be a lil softer ride to the left, but no way had we seen any wave like those that hit this boat on the prior day, or yesterday.there was another boat inxs of 6 mtrs, who was also following out and got nailed by the same wave, it looked like he was waiting for some 1 to follow out by his reactions, and also not wearin lifejackets, and not interested in seeing if these guys needed help, which was bloody obvious, not even asked if we needed an extra pair of hands on our boat. THAT i could not believe, but i guess a few ppl learnt their lessons why lifejackets should be compulsery on bars, as it looked ok and was until this point. and also it was deep water, which adds to the confusion of the 2 monsters. well thats it in short.

rob

lucky everyone escaped unscathed.......his motor would have gotten fully submerged with water when she came down? the blokes on the other boat that failed to offer any help sound like they were inexperienced in it all and were not going to put them self in the danger zone again.....might have been a blessing they didnt ask for help rob or you would have had 2 rescues to do!!!!

I saw the Bar swell on saturday with tugger and realized how much experience is needed to make them safely anyone without this experience should read your account carefully and take heed of it, you kept a cool head under pressure something that only experience and training can do thank god you were there to help noname

davey

Archived