back up motor

bennyl

hey guys, i got a 4.2m quintrex dory and im thinking of getting a small back up motor as im goin further out every time i go fishing, i do have a radio and mobile, just seeing what u guys have in mind or setups u might have cheers

how far out is out mate? all comes down to how confident you are in your outboard i suppose...mines 30 years old so i dont venture outside for that reason but am happy to go anywhere in the bay.....iv got memberships with the coastguards if im in need of a tow.....

an auxillary motor bracket is normally fitted to the transom and the auxillary motor attached to the bracket.The set up puts a bit of wieght at the bum of the boat.You would have to be carefull not to exceed the max transom wieght by adding another motor.Being a hull under 5m i reckon the wieght of an auxillary motor would make the hull bog down at the rear and would make it hard to get up on the plane.Also by adding more wieght you are decreasing the transoms free board when the boat is at rest.this will allow the alpha engine to sit lower to the water line increasing its chances of hydraulicing in the event of rough conditions.

If you dont trust the outboard engine to perform its duty don't take it out of the comfort zone (ie. the river,dam,estury.)

how far out are you headed and from where?

maybe you could start asking other members if there keen to tag along in another boat.Or even just try to get out on the water the same days that other members have there boats out the bay.swap mob# etc.leave from the same boat ramp on the days you plan on going further out.its piece of mind if any thing where to go wrong. :)

mick.

-Are you going to the MBC? Might be a good time to meet some new faces.

-pm sent

I agree with Mick. If u don't trust ur motor don't take it out. Also the extra weight of a back up would increase your fuel consumption and put extra strain on the main unit. I have the same size boat and in my opinion I'd be putting my dollars into what you have, not adding hardware to that size rig.

Archived