Battery and charger for trolling motor?

Scope

G'day all - I promise this will be one of the last questions I ask about buying a trolling motor :P:P:P

Ended up getting a bow mount water snake 54/54 after lots of good advice

Just wondering what the best battery and charger are for it??

Also how much, and where should I go to get it

Thanks in advance

Jono

the good thing about asking questions on this site is u get a variation or answers .

some people with heaps of $ and the best gear .

some who have average $ and just like to buy good quality and not risk or stuff about with cheap stuff .

some who have average $ and buy in the average range .

some who have average $ or less and shop in the bargain basement .

i like how the answers vary and cover most areas.

i'm using either a 4 or 8 amp trickle charger,both cheap and basic .the 4 amp didn't really cut the mustard so it was good i scored a 8 amp.

for a battery u really need a deep cycle ,it would be the minimum requirement .

i'm using a marine battery cause i couldn't get a cheap deep cycle battery at the time i needed /wanted 1 .it dose the job for now .

i reckon this the the bargain basement area i'm in .

50 $ or under for a charger and 120$ or under for a battery.

taking that this works for me at the moment i don't use it every day or every week sometimes .

i have use it 2 days in a row and it was suffering .

the cheap battery charger just doesn't get the battery back up to full on a short over night charge.

call into century batteries at carole park. they have a store on sight. if money tight you can get a good deep cycle blemished seconds for about 80bucks usually 75amp hour, i figure you get 2 of these for bang for your buck. then at leaast get a charger with trickle for the deep cycle. all though they usually have a fast charge setting but not recommended all the time for deep cycles.

or go to a battery store and ask for the best 100ampbattery you can get for your dollars. explain its for a trolling motor and they will sort you out.

just make sure your charger knows how to deal with a deep cycle as blast charging it when its already full is very bad for your battery. my charger adjusts current based on the state of charge and once its full it goes into float mode where it only turns on a trickle charge when the state of charge drops, even trickle charging a deep cycle which doesnt tend to drop charge (like a good quality AGM battery) can be bad i've been told

the battery charger I use is a calibre brand.get em from supper cheap.17amp.its a neat unit it automatically recognises the type of battery being charged.6v-12v deep cycle float charge.etc has an in built computer mother board thingy that does it all for ya. very versitile charger its fantastic.only about $120 too.probably not the ducks nuts butt its certainly up there with the best of em.the charger doesnt pulse the battery with the full 17amps constant it will start off at low amps and float charge the batt gradually till it gets towards the end of its cycle only then does it pump it with the full 17amps then floats the charge back down slowly till the chargings complete.I used a multi meter to check the first few charges out to see what it was doing to the batts.

some people say they get more run time out of a twin 6v batt set up than one big 12v amphr batt.I use the 12v deep cycles biggest i own is 120 amp hr its to big takes alot of use to drain it down to 10.5 volts. Have 4 batts in total for a twin minnkota set up.the fella at the century shop that wesfish talks about sold me a buety its a deep cycle with some cranking capabilitys so its a aha with cca type batt if that makes any sense.The cca allows the battery to be charged extremly quickly so its the perfect battery to take up the dam when camping cause you can fire a little geny up and charge it in a few hrs or less. the 40lb leccy at no3 speed will last around 5hrs continous running on this type of battery and if you ever need to use the battery for a jump start its fine because it has cranking capabilities

mick

Archived