Near McLeay Is 15/4/7

ellicat

Headed out from Viccy Pt South ramp just before 8am and headed towards Mcleay Island looking for a new “spotâ€Â. Quite a few fish showing up on the sounder. Decided on a place and set the kids and wife up and then floated out my shark rig (30inches of 130lb wire with two 8/0 circle hooks off a few metres of 80lb mono leader) with a large mullet fillet. Also had my “hand†rod out with a full squid.

Kids had a couple of nibbles and then wife brings in a just legal flatty. Young fella 1 gets a good bite and is bitten off at the hook. I thought it must be another flatty sheering the leader. Then same thing happened to me. Bugger ! Was just rerigging when the shark rig gets a hit. Picked it up and brought in what I thought was going to be a snapper or the like by the way it was giving little headshakes etc. Got colour and was getting a bit excited – then it broke the surface - bloody big toad fish with it’s mate swimming alongside (like trevally do).

Rerigged and set all lines out again. Wife brings in a couple of undersized flatties. I bring in a grinner (my first) on the hand rod. It was about 40cm. Kept it for bait on the shark rig. The shark rig has a nibble and then goes off again – this looks a bit better. Brought it in this time to find a flathead’s head and another bloody big toadfish that had nailed the flatty bigtime. Estimate the flatty would have been around 40cm when it had it’s body.

Put the grinner on and let it out. Surely enough it got nailed by another bloody toad.

Young fella 1 brought in a small flounder that was let go before we drifted away around 11.30 without anymore real action for the day. Looking back the toadfish, whilst disappointing from a brag point of view, were pretty fun to catch. Weight estimates – 3-4kg

Will post pics later

The toadfish bit a flathead in half :blink:

That must have been one decent toad.

Based on the flatties and flounder im assuming you were based on sand flats?

Oh well a day on the boat is a day on the boat right? All you need to do no is learn to secret art of toad fish sushi :) (Please dont).

Angus

Hey Ellicat

I know what you mean - they are the biggest friggin toads I have experienced. I normaly get em on the western side near where the local's moore their boats, just off the rocks. They chew up wire too!

I haven't had em chew up flatties but!:pinch:

Ellicat I don't want to sound like a \"know it all\" an you proberbly know this but for the sake of others:;)

When you're at that spot and the bottom stuff (toads and flatties) are giving you a hard time try reducing the weight, casting up current and lettting the bait drift down past the boat on slack line. It is a good chance there are squire and grassies around. If you still have troubles with bottom stuff go a little (5 mtres) wider off the rocks.;)

Or move south and wider for better flatties. Again Elly - for the benifit of others mate. :cheer:

Thanks for the tip Brian. I was actually doing that - the bait was unweighted and floated out. I guess it eventually sank:unsure: .

I wasn't fishing near rocks though.

No need to feel you can't be direct with me mate. I'm no fishing guru and appreciate tips/suggestions. Better still some GPS points:P

Cheers.

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/04/17 00:02

post-564-14459841183_thumb.jpg

Archived